Sponsored

Texas registration -- Rivian doing it, should I ask to do it?

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Yeah, no issues here, plates arrived almost 4 weeks to the day of delivery. Switched them out for the vanity plates at the Tax office in Fort Worth, for the princely sum of 50c (the plates were extra, that's the admin fee I guess).
Rivian R1T R1S Texas registration -- Rivian doing it, should I ask to do it? IMG_4024.JPG
Sponsored

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I got my truck in May with a temp tag expiring 8/10. A few weeks ago, Rivian called me to tell me the electronic signature on my registration paperwork didn't go through and offered two options.

They said they can send me the paperwork to re-sign and return to them but it might not happen until after the temp tag expires.

The second option, which they recommended, was that they can send me the paperwork and I can register it myself. I would have to pay the fees again and they will refund me the fees I paid with the purchase in 8-10 weeks.

I chose option two because, frankly, almost all of my dealings with Rivian have been less than satisfactory. The CS department and my guide have yet to come through with anything they've promised. (Note: I have had several dealings with the service department and find them to be very honest and competent. Not perfect - I still don't have an $800 spare tire that I purchased three months ago. But at least they tell me I'll get it s00n.)

I took the paperwork to the Dallas DMV and got my R1T registered and walked out with my new plates in about three hours. I didn't notice until after I got home that the fees included nearly $600 in late penalties!

I still don't have my refund from Rivian so I'm out about $11,000 for registration and taxes right now. Yea, I still keep thinking about all of those times I heard "under promise and over deliver".
I waited for the TT&L refund before registration, had to contact my guide many times to get it. Was charged around $600 in late fees also, waiting for that check now. Keep bugging your guide….

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Cadillac XT6, 2015 Mercedes SL 400
Yeah, no issues here, plates arrived almost 4 weeks to the day of delivery. Switched them out for the vanity plates at the Tax office in Fort Worth, for the princely sum of 50c (the plates were extra, that's the admin fee I guess).
IMG_4024.JPG
Awesome vanity plate! Can you order vanity plates when you first register your vehicle? I just had my intro call with my Guide and asked if I could manage the registration/taxes since TX is very strict on getting the vehicle registered within 30 days of sale. He said that wouldn't be a problem so I'm trying to figure out the process to obtain vanity plates and if I could get them when I register or have to do it after getting the standard plates assigned.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Awesome vanity plate! Can you order vanity plates when you first register your vehicle? I just had my intro call with my Guide and asked if I could manage the registration/taxes since TX is very strict on getting the vehicle registered within 30 days of sale. He said that wouldn't be a problem so I'm trying to figure out the process to obtain vanity plates and if I could get them when I register or have to do it after getting the standard plates assigned.
Yeah, it's really easy. The plates are all handled by https://www.myplates.com/, they don't care what vehicle you're putting it on, you just order from them, about 4 weeks later the plates show up up at the nearest Tax Assessors office (downtown FW for me), so when your Rivian paperwork arrives, just take it all in, with the plates that Rivian got you, let them know you have some vanity plates, and they'll dig them out, print a new tag, and charge you 50c. I don't know how long the office holds on to the plates, but if you're in touch with your guide, it'll be fine to order them now.