Sponsored

Texas registration -- Rivian doing it, should I ask to do it?

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Hi

Apparently my R1T has arrived in Houston. They are going to register the car in Texas, but I've read of delays with getting cars registered (not sure if Texas specifically).

What has the experience been with everyone here?
Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Hi

Apparently my R1T has arrived in Houston. They are going to register the car in Texas, but I've read of delays with getting cars registered (not sure if Texas specifically).

What has the experience been with everyone here?
I had no problems at all. I got my tags in about 6 weeks.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Let them do it if they are now. Mine is still not registered after almost 4 months, they sent me the paperwork but not any of the TT&L money I gave them. Be careful either way. Good luck!

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I would let them do it also. Took them about 3 months to do mine. My plates magically appeared 2 days before my temp tags expired. Not ideal, but one less thing I had to mess with.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I wouldn't borrow trouble, it will take care of itself. No one has ever gotten a ticket for expired temp tags, and if you were the first just send the bill to Rivian.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Thanks for the responses.

At the moment, just held up waiting to hear from the SC about scheduling delivery. Then I can process payment/loan and insurance.

Truck is supposedly in Houston already

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I actually got pulled over yesterday (about 2 weeks into my ownership) here in the Dallas suburbs because the police officers were curious about my unusual looking out-of-state temp tag and wanted to make sure everything checked out, apparently. I explained I purchased direct from the manufacturer our of Illinois and not through a dealership (like a Tesla), and that cleared everything up for them. Only took maybe 5 minutes. At least they were kind enough to compliment my truck 😅

I'm probably not the first, and definitely won't be the last to get pulled over by curious cops.

For the record - I bought a 2021 Tahoe for my wife about 18 months ago also in the Dallas area, and they didn't get our plates back to us before the temp tag expired, either. (Trying to convince the wife we should trade it in for an R1S, but no headway yet LOL)

I hope Rivian can get my registration done timely, but I'm not going to sweat it too much if it is a little late.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I actually got pulled over yesterday (about 2 weeks into my ownership) here in the Dallas suburbs because the police officers were curious about my unusual looking out-of-state temp tag and wanted to make sure everything checked out, apparently. I explained I purchased direct from the manufacturer our of Illinois and not through a dealership (like a Tesla), and that cleared everything up for them. Only took maybe 5 minutes. At least they were kind enough to compliment my truck 😅
Texas also has a huge problem with fake temp tags which is likely why they were interested in your unusual looking tag.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/c...exas/285-60f278a8-327d-4ecf-b38d-02785b6105fc

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I wish I had done it myself. Technically a resident is supposed to register a vehicle 30 days after sale, the out of state 90 days on the temp tag doesn't give any extension. Also the law makes it clear it is the owner's legal responsibility, whether a dealer or third party does the legwork.

My bank also required having the title 60 days after sale. My bank is threatening to apply fees and it is out of my control.

After 30 days, there are mandatory late title fees, tax fees, and your bank may have finance fees. There are also citation fees if pulled over. Technically should not be driving after 30 days of sale if not titled in Texas (as a Texas resident).

It is frustrating to see the finger pointing (between Rivian T&R, their processor, the county, and the bank) and not truly knowing where the hold up is.

But, I have registered two vehicles in the last year and both where walk in with papers and a check, walk out with plates.

Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Definitely frustrating...in Georgia, 7 weeks after delivery, finally contacted Guide. After couple of days, she replied that registration department needed updated insurance information. Copy of insurance card not good enough, so sent PDF with all coverage information. Said she would send it over and they would continue the process.

Two days later, still no evidence of title/registration in process on the Georgia e-drive site. Still have about 5 more weeksbefore temp tag expires.

Wonder what would have happened if I hadn't inquired!

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Definitely frustrating...in Georgia, 7 weeks after delivery, finally contacted Guide. After couple of days, she replied that registration department needed updated insurance information. Copy of insurance card not good enough, so sent PDF with all coverage information. Said she would send it over and they would continue the process.

Two days later, still no evidence of title/registration in process on the Georgia e-drive site. Still have about 5 more weeksbefore temp tag expires.

Wonder what would have happened if I hadn't inquired!
I live in PA and literally got the same message yesterday from my Guide. They needed 'updated insurance info' and a clearer picture EIGHT WEEKS after the transaction.

I think they are literally just getting around to filing the paperwork now.

metroman99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Chevy Volt
Just got my plates/registration in today, after 4 weeks. Not bad!

OP
OP

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

TyrusRex

First Name
Tyrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I got my truck in May with a temp tag expiring 8/10. A few weeks ago, Rivian called me to tell me the electronic signature on my registration paperwork didn't go through and offered two options.

They said they can send me the paperwork to re-sign and return to them but it might not happen until after the temp tag expires.

The second option, which they recommended, was that they can send me the paperwork and I can register it myself. I would have to pay the fees again and they will refund me the fees I paid with the purchase in 8-10 weeks.

I chose option two because, frankly, almost all of my dealings with Rivian have been less than satisfactory. The CS department and my guide have yet to come through with anything they've promised. (Note: I have had several dealings with the service department and find them to be very honest and competent. Not perfect - I still don't have an $800 spare tire that I purchased three months ago. But at least they tell me I'll get it s00n.)

I took the paperwork to the Dallas DMV and got my R1T registered and walked out with my new plates in about three hours. I didn't notice until after I got home that the fees included nearly $600 in late penalties!

I still don't have my refund from Rivian so I'm out about $11,000 for registration and taxes right now. Yea, I still keep thinking about all of those times I heard "under promise and over deliver".
Sponsored