First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Interesting. Unless I'm missing something, that seems like a shortsighted approach. Sure, that replaces the revenue lost due to the adoption of more energy efficient vehicles but it also serves to discourage the use of said vehicles hence encouraging people to retain older more polluting vehicles for longer. The cost of maintaining roads is a function of miles driven and vehicle weight but not of fuel type or efficiency.

To my point about throwing out current ways and starting from a clean slate, the problem with this Oregon approach is it seems they framed their requirements to offset lost gas tax revenue instead of to develop a holistic solution to fund building and maintaining roads. Sure, the gas tax pays for roads but the way you think about the problem influences the solution. While a gas tax was a reasonable and convenient way in 1919 for Oregon to fund roads, it's time for all of us to start thinking about this problem a little differently.
What ever system they come up with it needs to ensure the funds are directly used for the purpose they are collected for. I know in California we have some of the highest gas taxes in the country and they tend to siphon the money off for other things postponing road repairs and then ask for bonds to fix the roads.

I would support a registration fee that had a value based on vehicle weight with a multiplier for miles driven over the last 12 months. That way it would level the field based on usage and impact everyone the same.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
There also seems to be a major trend towards more and more toll roads. Isn’t it double taxing when you pay gas tax and road tolls? ?‍♂

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
So the direct sales bill did not make Tuesday's hearing. Suprise, there's the legislative process for ya.

On the bright side, that means I should be able toake the hearing *when* they schedule the bill, so I'll get to participate & hopefully meet some of you in person.

Side note - @electruck , I always appreciate your solid logic & perspective. You need to be one of the speakers when this does get a hearing!

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
There also seems to be a major trend towards more and more toll roads. Isn’t it double taxing when you pay gas tax and road tolls? ?‍♂
Sort of, but the federal highway trust fund gas tax is levied as a fixed price per gallon (not a percentage) that doesn't include an inflation tracker. It hasn't been updated since 1993 (for nearly 30 years, it's been 18.4 cents per gallon for gas and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel). As a result of increasing vehicle efficiency (buying less gas per mile driven) and costs going up (quite a bit over 30 years), this program has failed to keep up with actual road costs. That led to an increase in alternative ways to raise revenues for roads -- and "pay as you go" tends to be a pretty popular idea politically, especially in states with a strong free market lean.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
So the direct sales bill did not make Tuesday's hearing. Suprise, there's the legislative process for ya.
So the Rivian isn't coming? Tuesday would've been a perfect day for me lol

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

On the bright side, that means I should be able toake the hearing *when* they schedule the bill, so I'll get to participate & hopefully meet some of you in person.

Side note - @electruck , I always appreciate your solid logic & perspective. You need to be one of the speakers when this does get a hearing!
I'm still willing to fly in on short notice if you need a driver!

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Well crud.... so it was at the Capitol today.... I thought it wasn't coming.... I wonder if it will still be there tomorrow.... I guess I'll head down there in the morning to see.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This may interest you Texas folk...

Seems they are making changes to the EV fee structure in SB 1728 that is higher than what was originally discussed. The original fee was already exceeding the average ICE driver gas taxes.

Texas Wants To Charge Tesla & Other EV Owners ~$400 In Annual Fees For Owning An EV (cleantechnica.com)

I'm all for fees based on miles driven but that should be for all vehicles not just EVs and it should replace the gas tax.
Doesn't seem that the amended text has been posted online yet. I had heard something about a change being made but I, apparently mistakenly, expected it to reduce the fee not increase it. If the part about the scaled VMT fee is correct, then the whole fee structure is ludicrous. If they're going to track miles for part of the fee then they could just as easily tax everyone for actual miles traveled and ditch the gas tax. Would be much simpler than this piecemeal approach and would be technology neutral as it should be and thus fair to all.

They better keep in mind that more high income earners are working remotely than ever before. That means me and all of my tax dollars can pick up and move somewhere more favorable to EVs without even having to change jobs. ?

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I genuinely hope that article is wrong. I'll work to confirm.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Interestingly, this plate seemed to be available yesterday but not today. Would love to see this on an EV parked in front of the Capital.

Rivian R1T R1S Texas EV Direct Sales Hearing Next Week. Come Show Your Support! fair_tax_plate

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I genuinely hope that article is wrong. I'll work to confirm.
Do you think it's a coincidence that this hits the docket just as the Auto Dealers' Association is fighting to keep the EV manufacturers from selling directly to Texans? I'm wondering the connections and level of financial support/campaign funding these legislators may have received from the dealership group over the years. As that good ol' Okie, J.J. Cale sang, "Money Talks...." It could well be the Political Lobbyists' National Anthem

Money talks, it'll tell you a story
Money talks, says strange things
Money talks very loudly
You'd be surprised the friends
You can buy with small change
They say it's the root of all evil
They say gold is the king
Money talks, you'd better believe it
All that gold don't mean a thing
Rich people, hear those pockets jingle
Spare change, hear the down-and-outers cry
Money talks, tip-toe up behind you