Sponsored
OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
F. True story, but I don't believe it has enough time to be real...will be keeping a close eye on things.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Do you think it's a coincidence that this hits the docket just as the Auto Dealers' Association is fighting to keep the EV manufacturers from selling directly to Texans? I'm wondering the connections and level of financial support/campaign funding these legislators may have received from the dealership group over the years. As that good ol' Okie, J.J. Cale sang, "Money Talks...." It could well be the Political Lobbyists' National Anthem

Money talks, it'll tell you a story
Money talks, says strange things
Money talks very loudly
You'd be surprised the friends
You can buy with small change
They say it's the root of all evil
They say gold is the king
Money talks, you'd better believe it
All that gold don't mean a thing
Rich people, hear those pockets jingle
Spare change, hear the down-and-outers cry
Money talks, tip-toe up behind you
Steal what they can,
Off the cuff or on the sly
Money talks
Money talks
Money talks
Money talks
Source: LyricFind
Skyote, I'll take your ? as a "Yes". ?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This may interest you Texas folk...

Seems they are making changes to the EV fee structure in SB 1728 that is higher than what was originally discussed. The original fee was already exceeding the average ICE driver gas taxes.

Texas Wants To Charge Tesla & Other EV Owners ~$400 In Annual Fees For Owning An EV (cleantechnica.com)

I'm all for fees based on miles driven but that should be for all vehicles not just EVs and it should replace the gas tax.
So it seems the early reports may have been a bit too hasty. The early reports seemed to suggest that the annual EV fee and the scaled VMT fee were additive. The State has posted the substitute text of the bill coming out of the House Transportation Committee, CSSB 1728, and the fees are alternative options - you could choose to pay a flat fee or per-mile fee. I think the fees are a bit high and I still think that once you open the door to a mileage based option that both ICE and EV should be subject to the same tax structure. But overall, this doesn't seem nearly as ridiculous as people were suggesting it would be (I'm still reviewing the details and reserve the right to change my mind at any time :)). The creation of TTEC is also an interesting addition.

Here's their analysis of the differences between the SB and CSSB:
COMPARISON OF SENATE ENGROSSED AND SUBSTITUTE

While C.S.S.B. 1728 may differ from the engrossed in minor or nonsubstantive ways, the following summarizes the substantial differences between the engrossed and committee substitute versions of the bill.

The substitute includes provisions absent from the engrossed establishing the Texas Transportation Electrification Council as an administrative attachment to TxDOT and providing for the composition, administration, operation, and reporting requirements of the council and for the electric vehicle charging infrastructure plan required to be developed by the council.

The substitute includes the following provisions, all of which were absent from the engrossed:
  • · definitions for "electric vehicle" and "plug-in hybrid electric vehicle";
  • · an exemption from alternatively fueled vehicle fees for a hybrid electric vehicle that is not a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, a natural gas vehicle, and a vehicle used exclusively to provide public transportation services;
  • · provisions establishing a mileage fee alternative in lieu of paying the alternatively fueled vehicle fee and requiring DPS, in consultation with TxDMV, to adopt rules necessary to implement the mileage fee;
  • · a requirement for a vehicle inspection station or inspector, on completion of an inspection, to electronically submit odometer readings to the DPS inspection database;
  • · provisions establishing a $10 electric vehicle registration surcharge;
  • · provisions requiring an annual adjustment of the alternatively fueled vehicle fee and mileage fee alternative;
  • · provisions allocating the deposit of each fee and surcharge collected under the bill's provisions relating to alternatively fueled vehicle fees; and
  • · a requirement for TxDMV to adopt rules necessary to administer the alternatively fueled vehicle fees.
The engrossed established additional vehicle registration fees for an alternatively fueled vehicle the amount of which is determined on the vehicle's weight. The substitute maintains those provisions but decreases the amount of each fee by $10.

The substitute does not include provisions present in the engrossed requiring an applicant for registration or renewal of registration of a natural gas vehicle to pay an additional registration fee in an amount calculated by TxDMV. The substitute does not include the provision in the engrossed granting the board of TxDMV certain rulemaking authority.

The substitute changes the bill's effective date from September 1, 2021, as in the engrossed, to January 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
So it seems the early reports may have been a bit too hasty. The early reports seemed to suggest that the annual EV fee and the scaled VMT fee were additive. The State has posted the substitute text of the bill coming out of the House Transportation Committee, CSSB 1728, and the fees are alternative options - you could choose to pay a flat fee or per-mile fee. I think the fees are a bit high and I still think that once you open the door to a mileage based option that both ICE and EV should be subject to the same tax structure. But overall, this doesn't seem nearly as ridiculous as people were suggesting it would be (I'm still reviewing the details and reserve the right to change my mind at any time :)).

Here's their analysis of the differences between the SB and CSSB:
This is how UT does it. You choose flat fee or mileage based.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So it seems the early reports may have been a bit too hasty. The early reports seemed to suggest that the annual EV fee and the scaled VMT fee were additive.

I think the fees are a bit high and I still think that once you open the door to a mileage based option that both ICE and EV should be subject to the same tax structure. But overall, this doesn't seem nearly as ridiculous as people were suggesting it would be (I'm still reviewing the details and reserve the right to change my mind at any time :)). The creation of TTEC is also an interesting addition.
Yeah, I had a conversation about this yesterday as well. It definitely is an either/or, and the House substitute version is an improvement.

The piece that's still interesting is that the "increase" over gas vehicles is that the state would be collecting for a potential federal tax (basically that extra $100), but there's a provision in the House version to reduce the registration by that amount if the feds ever collected it directly.

Clear as mud?

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles