A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
They all have some different features and advantages/disadvantages,
The big advantage of the Yeti that I have noticed is small background drain i.e. how fast they drain with inverter on but no load connected. The big disadvantage is that service is non existent.
Sponsored

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I like that the Ford has 30A of power, rather than 15A (total ???) in the Rivian.
I believe the Ford has the capability to provide up to 35A @ 220/240V while the Rivian is limited to 15A @ 110/120V. Which is nearly 5X more power than the Rivian.

It was discussed in previous threads that V2H or a more substantial output would be available through a future update but now we know that won't ever be coming to our vehicles. Disappointing but not totally unexpected.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover

Sponsored

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I’m interested in this as well, assuming it can be charged from the Rivian. The manual says it needs a 15amp circuit so might work? Did you have a chance to try it?
I haven’t yet but will. The ecoflow is a pretty fast charger off of 110v ac. Seems the R1T should be able to be a source in a pinch.

scooby

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1, F250, Just sold Plaid
Occupation
Finance
I'll say it again. It's not the load - it's the grounding. Use an isolation transformer and you'll be fine.

An interesting experiment would be to measure the voltage between the truck's ground pin and the transfer switch cable ground pin. Probably not 0.
Thank you for your suggestion. In my case I have a dual tank air compressor that I would like to be able to use / plugin to my R1t. Currently the outlets are no dice. Are you indicating the I could remedy this by an isolation transformer? If so are you able to recommend any specifically? (I was searching on Amazon and have seen numerous)

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Tom

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
In my case I have a dual tank air compressor that I would like to be able to use / plugin to my R1t. Currently the outlets are no dice. Are you indicating the I could remedy this by an isolation transformer?
The R1T is good for 15 or 20 A at 110V single phase. That kind of power is served out from normal household outlets which are what are installed in the truck, The fact that the compressor plugs and plugs in the truck don't match suggests that the compressor does not run on 120VAC single phase. But it will have a nameplate somewhere on the motor which will tell you what its requirements are. It is probably 240V which requires a different form of plug.

Yes you can convert the 110VAC from the truck to 220 VAC with an isolation transformer or even an auto transformer but you must know what you are doing or you will overload the truck's inverter. This sounds like a pretty hefty compressor. The Rivian is designed to run small appliances.

scooby

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
The R1T is good for 15 or 20 A at 110V single phase. That kind of power is served out from normal household outlets which are what are installed in the truck, The fact that the compressor plugs and plugs in the truck don't match suggests that the compressor does not run on 120VAC single phase. But it will have a nameplate somewhere on the motor which will tell you what its requirements are. It is probably 240V which requires a different form of plug.

Yes you can convert the 110VAC from the truck to 220 VAC with an isolation transformer or even an auto transformer but you must know what you are doing or you will overload the truck's inverter. This sounds like a pretty hefty compressor. The Rivian is designed to run small appliances.
You are awesome! I appreciate your quick reply. To confirm my contact dual tank compressor does use a standard 110- It simply requires more draw than I believe the truck is capable of outputting enough juice to run it. according to the specs it draws 14 amps. Here is the link to the compressor if you are able to take a peak at it and see if you could recommend a solution?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Here is the link to the compressor
Didn't see any link. (?)

You said the outlets didn't match the plug. What kind of plug does the compressor have?

If the compressor draws 14A when running the Rivian inverter should run it. The question is "Will it start it?" The type of motor used on an air compressor may draw twice or even three times the full load amperes when starting. Many generators and inverters will supply that current briefly but I don't know what the specs are for the Rivian inverter in this regard. It might or might not start your compressor and if it does the startup is definitely going to be stressful.

Sponsored

scooby

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Didn't see any link. (?)

You said the outlets didn't match the plug. What kind of plug does the compressor have?

If the compressor draws 14A when running the Rivian inverter should run it. The question is "Will it start it?" The type of motor used on an air compressor may draw twice or even three times the full load amperes when starting. Many generators and inverters will supply that current briefly but I don't know what the specs are for the Rivian inverter in this regard. It might or might not start your compressor and if it does the startup is definitely going to be stressful.
Oh yes- Click on the Amazon link in my above post. Or here is the link direct to the manufacture. I must've not been clear on my original question. Yes the plug is standard 110- but to your point the compressor itself will not start. The specs claim that it draws 14.5 amps.

Since I am such a newb at all of this I was wondering if the Isolation Transformer you recommended would help with this? Or is that not what it's intended to do? Lastly I was thinking worse comes to worse it would be nice to know if there is an option to add / tap into the Rivian power source and add a legitimate inverter that is capable of delivering much more power?

My only gripe about the R1T- Currently doesn't look like it will have the option of Bidirectional to the house and the onboard power plugs seem pretty weak in comparison to the Lighting. Other than that the Truck stomps on the lighting in so many different categories.

Here is the link to the unit I am wanting to use. Thanks again!

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.co...dzc1nffGLRAP0GrBZcOmSr2ksq1GVfw8aAhWREALw_wcB

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The specs claim that it draws 14.5 amps.
I have a similar (oil less, pancake) compressor and just started it up a couple of times to find that it has a "soft start" feature and does not draw much more that running current at start. Your compressor may or may not have soft start so this doesn't really prove any thing but inrush current is still a good thing to suspect.

Since I am such a newb at all of this I was wondering if the Isolation Transformer you recommended would help with this? Or is that not what it's intended to do?
No. As the name suggests it is intended to isolate. In the original context I suggested it it was to isolate the neutral of the truck (connected to truck ground) from the neutral of the house (connected to house ground). Evidently the truck looks for this and shuts down if it finds the two neutrals interconnected (which now that I think about it is further evidence that Rivian does NOT intend the trucks to be used to power a building.

Lastly I was thinking worse comes to worse it would be nice to know if there is an option to add / tap into the Rivian power source and add a legitimate inverter that is capable of delivering much more power?
That's going to be a tall order as the interface to the battery is quite involved and a larger inverter is not a trivial matter either. You really need a bigger truck (Lightning, CT...)

My only gripe about the R1T- Currently doesn't look like it will have the option of Bidirectional to the house and the onboard power plugs seem pretty weak in comparison to the Lighting.[/QUIT] The Rivian was not designed for commercial use.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I haven’t yet but will. The ecoflow is a pretty fast charger off of 110v ac. Seems the R1T should be able to be a source in a pinch.
FYI - I have now plugged the Ecoflow Delta Pro into the R1T’s 120v outlet and, as expected, it charges the DP without issue.

Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Touareg, A8, Q7 urQ
I just got an Ecoflow River Pro last Saturday and one feature it has that my small Bluetti does not have is the ability to set a charge level. It can only be done with the app as far as I can tell, but it can be set to 80% for example which allows it to be easily charged to a level that is better for long term storage. Storing at 100% just like in an EV is not the best for the longevity of the batteries. With the Bluetti I have to either stop the charge manually at 80% or if it goes past, drain it down a bit before storage.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Excellent choice. Question: Will it fit in the gear tunnel..??
Thanks
🤔 good question… I’m thinking not but next test. At 100lbs, it’ll need that slide 😂
Sponsored