Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I was curious what level of output the USB-C ports in the truck could produce. My hope was 30w as this is enough to keep my MacBook Air fully juiced.

I plugged the laptop into each of the six ports and checked the Power settings in System Information, refreshing the page between port changes. Laptop battery charge level does not affect this readout. It will provide the max draw that has been negotiated between the truck and the device. I also had the truck unlocked and plugged in with a 35% state of charge.

The center console ports showed a 15w draw. The ports on the back of the headrests also showed 15w. The ports below the rear climate screen showed 8w.

It’s not a big deal, but it is a bit disappointing, especially the findings on the lower rear ports. Maybe this can be changed via software?
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I was curious what level of output the USB-C ports in the truck could produce. My hope was 30w as this is enough to keep my MacBook Air fully juiced.

I plugged the laptop into each of the six ports and checked the Power settings in System Information, refreshing the page between port changes. Laptop battery charge level does not affect this readout. It will provide the max draw that has been negotiated between the truck and the device. I also had the truck unlocked and plugged in with a 35% state of charge.

The center console ports showed a 15w draw. The ports on the back of the headrests also showed 15w. The ports below the rear climate screen showed 8w.

It’s not a big deal, but it is a bit disappointing, especially the findings on the lower rear ports. Maybe this can be changed via software?
How much output needed to keep ipads charged up?

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
So 15w intended solely for phones
It’s certainly better than nothing. These devices aren’t always pegged at max wattage, so it will certainly provide a charge benefit to iPads/MacBooks. It just won’t put out enough to maintain higher draws for extended periods.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
The (M1) Macbook Air will draw just over 30 watts at *max* continuous performance. The supplied 30W power adapter will fully charge it from dead in under 3 hours. Idle power draw is under a watt.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
The (M1) Macbook Air will draw just over 30 watts at *max* continuous performance. The supplied 30W power adapter will fully charge it from dead in under 3 hours. Idle power draw is under a watt.
You are correct. I was just hoping the R1T would support the max. Seems like 30w is a pretty standard “high” output for non-PD ports.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'd love to see 100W USB-C ports. But even 15W is higher than I expected to see. It's crazy how many vehicles still only give you 5W!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'd love to see 100W USB-C ports. But even 15W is higher than I expected to see. It's crazy how many vehicles still only give you 5W!
Guess you could do that, somewhat less conveniently, through a 110V outlet.

Sponsored

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
It’s not highlighted in bold or anything, but the user manual does state the max is 15W

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
You are correct. I was just hoping the R1T would support the max. Seems like 30w is a pretty standard “high” output for non-PD ports.
I don't think this is the case. I have never had success trying to plug my Macbook Air or Pro directly into a USB-C. I have one on the base of a lamp and another one that's built into my standing desk. Those are both 120v devices. I think they must dial these down, assuming that most people are just going to use them for phones. Would love to leave the brick at home but I always take it with me... Worth pointing out though that these lower output USB-Cs do seem capable of trickle charging laptops.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I don't think this is the case. I have never had success trying to plug my Macbook Air or Pro directly into a USB-C. I have one on the base of a lamp and another one that's built into my standing desk. Those are both 120v devices. I think they must dial these down, assuming that most people are just going to use them for phones. Would love to leave the brick at home but I always take it with me... Worth pointing out though that these lower output USB-Cs do seem capable of trickle charging laptops.
Yeah, I should’ve been more clear. Devices where USB-C is “tacked on” as a bonus don’t typically hit higher output (lamps, speakers, etc), but I have a cheap 12v inverter that’s not high-end that hits 30w over its USB-C connection. Being baked into an EV truck I anticipated they might provide a bit more output. I wasn’t expecting 100w full USB-C PD compliance, but 30w would have been a decent middle ground. It’s not the end of the world, and you’re right that it can still slowly charge a laptop or tablet.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
If only there was a 120v outlet somewhere.
Of course you can use the 120v outlet. I’m not arguing you can’t, but the convenience and efficiency of a direct USB-C connection to the truck is better than having to convert DC to AC then back to DC.
Sponsored