• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 16, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 16, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
  • RIVIANFORUMS CLUBS!

Announcing our new "CLUBS" section where you can join or create a Rivian club or group! You can use this new feature to conveniently plan and discuss local events, gatherings or other club/group related topics.

So we encourage you to join (or start) special-interest and regional-based Rivian clubs at: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/group-categories/clubs-groups.1/

Sponsored

California TeslaTap 50amp J1772 to Tesla adapter

calsailor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Tesla X, Wrangler
This is an adapter to allow you to charge any EV that uses a J1772 plug from a Tesla charging cord.

This is very useful for families who already have a Tesla and also have a non-Tesla vehicle. Also super useful to have to use at Tesla destination chargers like at hotels.

You CANNOT charge from a Tesla Supercharger

It is the 50 amp version, rated for 42 amps of continuous use. The idea being that no electrical equipment should be maxed-out for more than 3 hours in a row. So this is meant for your typical Tesla Mobile Adapter and NEMA 14-50 plug. Should be plenty for most uses but if you intend to pair it with a Tesla HPWC and a vehicle that can pull more than 42 amps you should reduce the vehicles draw. Technicalities I can explain if you need it. .

Originally $169 plus tax and shipping, you can have it for $129

I've only had it a few months. I bought it to charge my Dad's Jeep 4Xe when he was at my house. But with the Rivian I can pull the higher amperage from our Tesla Wall Charger which is at 60amps. So I purchased a TeslaTap 80amp version and figured since I don't need both I'd pass this along to a fellow Rivian owner.

I am in San Diego, California if you want local exchange

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=99

Rivian R1T R1S TeslaTap 50amp J1772 to Tesla adapter IMG_3871-500x500 2.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S TeslaTap 50amp J1772 to Tesla adapter IMG_4918-228x228 2.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

calsailor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SOLD!

OP
OP

calsailor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SOLD!

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I need a Tesla adapter to use primarily at Tesla destination chargers - but want to be able to use it anywhere I can. Don't really want to worry about if the adapter is ok with the charger. What amp adapter should I get and why? - 40, 60, 80?

OP
OP

calsailor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very good question.

The thing is, you’re not supposed to use any electrical plug/charger at 100% for more than a few hours or risk overheating it.

The car will never pull more than “it” can handle, or the wall can provide. But you don’t want to pull max amps continuously through any wiring.

This is why our 32 amp mobile connectors are 32 amps. Because the wall is usually a 40amp breaker. If you have less, that is why the truck lets you dial down the amps.

But more to your question. A 50amp TeslaTap is fine for a simple 40amp circuit at your house. But the “high power wall chargers” installed at hotels are usually 60-80amps. For this you need a higher rated TeslaTap.
I installed a 60amp hardwired charger, so I got an 80amp to cover all situations.

Here is the direct response from TeslaTap themselves.

Hope this helps.

“ Ryan,

Actually NO.... Users have been using underrated devices and overheating and/or damaging the charging plugs on their EV's.

Under the National Electrical Code (NEC) you should only use 80% of the devices rating if you are going to use it continuously (Over 3 hours).
A 40 AMP device should only be used for 32 AMPS after 3 hours.
A 50 AMP device should only be used for 40 AMPS after 3 hours.
A 60 AMP device should only be used for 48 AMPS after 3 hours.
A 80 AMP device should only be used for 64 AMPS after 3 hours.
A 100 AMP device should only be used for 80 AMPS after 3 hours.

If you are ONLY going to use it with your 40 AMP charger than a 50 AMP would be fine.
If you are going to possibly use it on the road at destination chargers you would need at least a 60 AMP rating.
Since you have a Rivian, at this time we are ONLY suggesting using the TeslaTap 80 High Power (it is also you lowest Price option).

Dave

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Our Tesla is plugged into a 30 amp circuit breaker. I have it set to charge at 22 amps.
Sponsored