Sponsored

Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Even though Rivian is making a vehicle that targets me exactly in outdoorsy/off-road use cases, I'm still VERY interested in what Tesla offers in terms of range and realistic pricing since it will I'm sure there's some customer overlap and this could affect Rivian.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even though Rivian is making a vehicle that targets me exactly in outdoorsy/off-road use cases, I'm still VERY interested in what Tesla offers in terms of range and realistic pricing since it will I'm sure there's some customer overlap and this could affect Rivian.
I completely agree. Tesla specs & price could definitely affect Rivian preorders, including me. I'm unsure about the "cybertruck" styling, but will reserve judgment until I actually see it.

I'm also a big fan of Rivian's quad motor architecture, and the associated on & off road benefits, but we'll see...

Tyker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3
I’m not sure any presentation could sway myself towards the “cybertruck” at this point. Interested to see what it has to offer but Elon’s descriptions are not of a vehicle I’m interested in, as well as all the anecdotal poor quality and customer service discussion regarding Tesla in general (which I can’t imagine getting better with the volume of Model Ys they expect and then add on a truck).

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m not sure any presentation could sway myself towards the “cybertruck” at this point. Interested to see what it has to offer but Elon’s descriptions are not of a vehicle I’m interested in, as well as all the anecdotal poor quality and customer service discussion regarding Tesla in general (which I can’t imagine getting better with the volume of Model Ys they expect and then add on a truck).
It took them awhile, but everything I've seen/heard/read is that Tesla has overcome earlier quality & consistency problems. Model Y should be even easier to manufacture, on top of lessons learned, so quality is not a concern of mine.

Even though Rivian is completely unproven, they are my first choice. However, I will be watching the Tesla truck.

Sponsored

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
I don’t think I could purchase a Tesla. I think their approach to autonomous is wrong. A vision-only system* can be fooled by optical illusions, and I think they will always be chasing the corner cases to try to make the system capable of handling it. Yes they have *lots* of vehicles in their fleet, but there is a limit, IMO.

* Of course they have radar and ultra sonics, but AIUI their neural net system is fed from the 9 cameras only.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I don’t think I could purchase a Tesla. I think their approach to autonomous is wrong. A vision-only system* can be fooled by optical illusions, and I think they will always be chasing the corner cases to try to make the system capable of handling it. Yes they have *lots* of vehicles in their fleet, but there is a limit, IMO.

* Of course they have radar and ultra sonics, but AIUI their neural net system is fed from the 9 cameras only.
It seems like a lot of car companies who are pushing FSD want LIDAR as well as all the others. My guess is that is how the legacy companies will try to screw Tesla over by getting legislation to require something Tesla does not use.

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
If at the same price point I would undoubtedly get the Rivian. It's a little more than I am comfortable with however, so I will look carefully at what Tesla offers. If I had the money, it would be Rivian hands down :)

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Tesla will maintain the range advantage in any class of car they feel like paying attention to for the next 2-3 years. I think it will also be at least 3 years before the charger network is less of a unique advantage. But Tesla severely needs to stop sucking in the interior design finesse category.

I expect Rivian will maintain an edge in agility, off and on-road, really neat-o built-in features that you can't add with a software update, an awareness of all the neat things you can do with car as giant battery, and a cabin I'd hope to die in after a long fruitful life some day.

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
I would guess Rivian will have a significant quality advantage as well, based on all the interviews I have seen. I come from a design and manufacturing background, and everyone I have seen speak from Rivian is saying what great teams say, and I think this will filter down into a great product with great quality. Literally my only reservation is price.

Sponsored

Irontrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Murano, Mini Cooper
I would guess Rivian will have a significant quality advantage as well, based on all the interviews I have seen. I come from a design and manufacturing background, and everyone I have seen speak from Rivian is saying what great teams say, and I think this will filter down into a great product with great quality. Literally my only reservation is price.
This is quite a “drink the koolaid” comment since no one has seen as Rivian outside a very small number of prototypes.

I’m pro-rivian (with deposit) but the Tesla has my attention

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
This is quite a “drink the koolaid” comment since no one has seen as Rivian outside a very small number of prototypes.

I’m pro-rivian (with deposit) but the Tesla has my attention
Well certainly I don't have access to any information other people don't have, but having worked my entire career in product design and manufacturing in high tech industries, I have a feel for what good teams say and do and what other team say and do, and the Rivian teams are saying the right things and acting the right way, from everything I see.

I'll put my internet forum badge on the table and say these guys will nail what they say they will execute. Only time will tell!

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
We will hold your Internet forum badge in a secure location until game day. Play on!

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
I love what Rivian is promising to offer, however the price is bloated. This is why I decided to pull my reservation recently...

I have little doubt they're gonna nail the R1T and R1S and I simply cannot stomach the price premium right now (without knowing the warranty to be offered, the resale value etc). If Rivian were to come out publicly and say they'll buy back any Rivian for 60% on a trade in after 5 years on a new Rivian I would be in... there would be a security net there on residual value that ) is currently a major risk with purchasing the first model year of any vehicle, let alone the first model year from a brand new vehicle manufacturer. Doing a buy back like this is also to Rivian's advantage in that it sets the resale market for their product, allows them to collect real world vehicles for teardown analysis and study after 5 years, and also keeps service claims to a minimum as they yet to have a plan identified for establishing a service network (older cars have more problems in general)... I suppose Amazon distribution centers could serve as the Rivian service centers since they'll have all the vans that Rivian has agreed to servicing. If Rivian learns anything from Tesla it should be that it's difficult to maintain a name as a reputable brand with aging cars on the road that have no dedicated service network/ framework to rely on. Hopefully they'll establish some factory trained technicians and program out of Normal site to distribute strategically around the country at Amazon distribution centers... I figure by about the time the R1R comes out a lot of the infancy issues will be worked out and the price will be in a reasonable price point. i

The Tesla truck is appealing as it is advertised to at least start at a reasonable price (50K) and can likely do and go anywhere I'd be willing to take a Rivian or any 40K+ vehicle.... It's hard to imagine the man whose entire portfolio is about conquering space and in particular travel to and survivability on Mars is going to develop an EV, earth vehicle that cannot be somewhat capable offroad. Neither the R1T or Tesla or any EV will even be a rock crawler (at least in my eyes).. let's be honest... a suburu or rav4 can go all the places and do all the things the majority of people plan for the R1T or in terms of function... The R1R excites me a lot because it will have alot of the same tech (if not later iterations with lessons learned incorporated) and at a price point around 50K I'd guess... plus it will fit on all the jeep trails and sxs trails potentially in existance.
Sponsored