First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
I just gave up my favorite vehicle of all time, a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance, for an R1T. It is my 1st pickup but absolutely no regrets. I always looked forward to getting behind the wheel of my Tesla and now I feel the same way about my Rivian. For reference, my wife has a 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, which feels more solid then my 3 did. All the little rattles/noises are gone. Even with my list of about 10 items to fix (mostly cosmetic and lift gate/cover related) I would do it again.
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Traded in the 2018 Model 3 AWD LR for the LE R1T and no regrets. The Rivian has the expected software glitches of a new EV, but build quality is far superior, feels much more solid than the 3, and the steering is so much better (hated the model 3's steering). Rivian range as good if not better (orig Tesla range was 305, but fell to 275 after 50k miles). Granted, I wanted the larger vehicle. Plus the sound system in the Rivian is spectacular.
Just a small comment that all current Teslas are considerably more solid than a 2018 Model 3. I've had that car as a loaner and was surprised at the noise and the steering (the steering likely had an unrepaired defect).

But with old pricing plus the tax break Rivian is still a "no brainer" for most people wanting a larger vehicle. Especially people for who intend to never be seen in a Cybertruck.

I expect to be disappointed with Rivian software compared to Tesla. Although with my configuration Rivian has a year and a half to improve.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I just signed the PBA on my R1T order this week and will be giving up my Model 3 to make it happen. Please don't flame me, but I'm curious if anyone has made the change to an R1T and had any regrets? I ask because my Model 3 does so many things well and I have some concerns that I might really miss some of them (excellent voice nav, voice commands in general, autopilot). My hope is the R1T can provide those things AND everything else I'm looking for from it, like a larger/taller vehicle with a more upright seating position, more space, more refined (and quiet) ride, utility of truck, etc. I know I risk being immediately downvoted by even raising this question, but it's an honest concern/question that I'd really like to hear from current R1T owners about. Any insights, regrets or feedback you'd be willing to share would be appreciated.
Same feeling as well but with my mach e. It's been such a good car for me. I'm scared of being months with it because of some of the early issues that other owners are seeing.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
I think my biggest question on this topic is regarding the difference in charging infrastructure. I'm sure the R1S and R1T are fantastic, and I'll be very happy if/when my R1T Max Pack arrives. But compared to the supercharger network, I'm not as confident in the ability to get across the country relatively hassle-free in a non-Tesla.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I think my biggest question on this topic is regarding the difference in charging infrastructure. I'm sure the R1S and R1T are fantastic, and I'll be very happy if/when my R1T Max Pack arrives. But compared to the supercharger network, I'm not as confident in the ability to get across the country relatively hassle-free in a non-Tesla.
Do you not believe that Rivian will build out the charging network?

Sponsored

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
I went from a 2020 M3 (with the SW performance upgrade) to an R1T. Iā€™ve been in the Rivian for about 6 weeks at this point. We sold a Prius V and my partner kept the M3, so we have two electric vehicles now and I drive them both regularly. Overall, the Rivian is well built an very capable. Comfortable and great sound (maybe a little better than the M3, which was great). A sheer delight as a daily driver. Here are some observations:
  • The sheer size is probably the thing you notice first. The R1T is mid-size, but the height and seating position make it feel much larger than it is. Still very maneuverable, however. As another point of comparison, I also have a 4 door Tacoma and it is about the same size (though not comparable in any other way).
  • Doors & interior: The R1T feels vastly better assembled than the M3. It feels solid, sounds solid and substantial. It feels more like a Mercedes. Very nice!
  • Storage is a huge plus. Lots of secure, out-of-sight places to put things. Of course, the M3 has a trunk and frunk, but you are probably aware of the risk of the trunk and breaking the small side window.
  • Autopilot was good, but I never truly trusted it. I think it made me hypervigilant to the point of it being more relaxing to drive myself. Driver+ is actually pretty decent for what it does. Great considering the maturity of the two systems.
  • Interface on the Rivian feels much better to me. It is smooth and well-organized.
  • The R1T is definitely faster, but the throttle on the R1T has more ā€˜rangeā€™. You have to press it more to get the same effect as the M3.
Tesla was great, but if I have either sitting in front of me and need to use a car, Iā€™ll get in the Rivian.

AFA7886

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I just signed the PBA on my R1T order this week and will be giving up my Model 3 to make it happen. Please don't flame me, but I'm curious if anyone has made the change to an R1T and had any regrets? I ask because my Model 3 does so many things well and I have some concerns that I might really miss some of them (excellent voice nav, voice commands in general, autopilot). My hope is the R1T can provide those things AND everything else I'm looking for from it, like a larger/taller vehicle with a more upright seating position, more space, more refined (and quiet) ride, utility of truck, etc. I know I risk being immediately downvoted by even raising this question, but it's an honest concern/question that I'd really like to hear from current R1T owners about. Any insights, regrets or feedback you'd be willing to share would be appreciated.
I had a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD that I sold when I purchased the truck. Overall, I am happy to have switched to my R1T. My main objective was to be able to keep a ladder in the bed and still have all 5 seats available when needed and the R1T fulfills that need (the Little Giant just fits barely on the diagonal). Also, the truck drives and looks sick IMO. I do miss some things from the M3 but I don't, by any means, regret the change. Overall I prefer the R1T user interface over the latest Tesla software version that I was on (recently I believe they added some customization to the lower bar which would have helped). But several of the things that I miss from the Tesla I know Rivian can easily add in the future because they are software driven.

Finally, if there was one thing I miss from the Tesla M3 it would be the home charging speed. Obviously with the battery being nearly twice as large the charge speed is about twice as slow. For both cars I used and am using the portable charger with a 14-50 outlet and so I am now thinking I will be installing a hardwired EVSE in the near future because I tend to try and charge only at my super low rate period which on weekdays is only 6 hours (1200AM - 6ooAM).

Hope this helps and I would suggest being patient and private selling the M3 as I was able to sell mine for a decent price and thinking it will only have costed me around $15K-$20K for the upgrade (Federal Credit and Section 179 Deduction).

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Now we're comparing a Tesla Model 3 to a Rivian R1T? You know what I'm saying?

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla to Rivian: Any Regrets? 1651858785634

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I went from a 2020 M3 (with the SW performance upgrade) to an R1T. Iā€™ve been in the Rivian for about 6 weeks at this point. We sold a Prius V and my partner kept the M3, so we have two electric vehicles now and I drive them both regularly. Overall, the Rivian is well built an very capable. Comfortable and great sound (maybe a little better than the M3, which was great). A sheer delight as a daily driver. Here are some observations:
  • The sheer size is probably the thing you notice first. The R1T is mid-size, but the height and seating position make it feel much larger than it is. Still very maneuverable, however. As another point of comparison, I also have a 4 door Tacoma and it is about the same size (though not comparable in any other way).
  • Doors & interior: The R1T feels vastly better assembled than the M3. It feels solid, sounds solid and substantial. It feels more like a Mercedes. Very nice!
  • Storage is a huge plus. Lots of secure, out-of-sight places to put things. Of course, the M3 has a trunk and frunk, but you are probably aware of the risk of the trunk and breaking the small side window.
  • Autopilot was good, but I never truly trusted it. I think it made me hypervigilant to the point of it being more relaxing to drive myself. Driver+ is actually pretty decent for what it does. Great considering the maturity of the two systems.
  • Interface on the Rivian feels much better to me. It is smooth and well-organized.
  • The R1T is definitely faster, but the throttle on the R1T has more ā€˜rangeā€™. You have to press it more to get the same effect as the M3.
Tesla was great, but if I have either sitting in front of me and need to use a car, Iā€™ll get in the Rivian.
This is great feedback -- thanks to you and others who have weighed in. I love people answering the question about whether you'd take the R1T or Model 3 if you had to run a quick errand, because it really breaks things down to their basics.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Legal
Do you not believe that Rivian will build out the charging network?
I think that statement is a big jump from what I said. My question is about the ease of traveling long distances in an R1T and needing to recharge on the road right now, as experienced by those who have switched from Tesla to Rivian. Eventually, every charging network will be built out - so there's no reason to think Rivian won't get around to it.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
This is my biggest question, and has been what I've wondered since I made my reservation. I have had a long line of small sporty cars, and I love fun handling. I was never a truck person and just watched from the sidelines as the EV pickups were announced.

Then the first rivian reviews hit and an night or two of sleep and I made a reservation. Just last October. Central to this was feedback that seemed to say it kind of handled like a sports car.

Since then, we bought another house in VT up a mountain dirt road and are constantly moving things, and I absolutely NEED a truck ASAP the last few months, so my reservation went from curiosity to impatience. Every time my 3 was bottoming out in a rut or sliding on the snow, or I just couldn't pack much stuff in it. I need to buy a rider lawnmower used...how the heck would I get it home? Etc.

Rivian came to the rescue and to my complete surprise my delivery is Saturday, way ahead of schedule. I can't freakin wait! And wow, the trade-in offer was above KBB for the 3.

All that to say...I will let you know in a few days!
I see that you reserved 10/2021 and will be receiving your truck already. Congrats!!!

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I think that statement is a big jump from what I said. My question is about the ease of traveling long distances in an R1T and needing to recharge on the road right now, as experienced by those who have switched from Tesla to Rivian. Eventually, every charging network will be built out - so there's no reason to think Rivian won't get around to it.
A big jump? It wasn't a rhetorical question.

You don't seem to have a Rivian. Rivian has a map of their estimated buildout by the end of next year. That map plus existing CCS1 will approach Supercharger functionality in the continental U.S.

RAN doesn't show the urban density of Tesla. But as RAN DCFC is proprietary that should be a non-issue.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Legal
A big jump? It wasn't a rhetorical question.

You don't seem to have a Rivian. Rivian has a map of their estimated buildout by the end of next year. That map plus existing CCS1 will approach Supercharger functionality in the continental U.S.

RAN doesn't show the urban density of Tesla. But as RAN DCFC is proprietary that should be a non-issue.
Do you have an answer to the question I asked (as a reminder: do current Rivian owners who switched from Tesla regret not having access to the Supercharger network anymore)? If not, I'm not interested in having this conversation.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Do you have an answer to the question I asked (as a reminder: do current Rivian owners who switched from Tesla regret not having access to the Supercharger network anymore)? If not, I'm not interested in having this conversation.
Yes, but its such a banal question! You will only get anecdotes relative to a specific person over a short time frame. I kicked it up a notch into a potentially useful and interesting discussion.
Sponsored