Tesla to Rivian: Any Regrets?

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I just signed the PBA on my R1T order this week and will be giving up my Model 3 to make it happen. Please don't flame me, but I'm curious if anyone has made the change to an R1T and had any regrets? I ask because my Model 3 does so many things well and I have some concerns that I might really miss some of them (excellent voice nav, voice commands in general, autopilot). My hope is the R1T can provide those things AND everything else I'm looking for from it, like a larger/taller vehicle with a more upright seating position, more space, more refined (and quiet) ride, utility of truck, etc. I know I risk being immediately downvoted by even raising this question, but it's an honest concern/question that I'd really like to hear from current R1T owners about. Any insights, regrets or feedback you'd be willing to share would be appreciated.
Sponsored

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
I just signed the PBA on my R1T order this week and will be giving up my Model 3 to make it happen. Please don't flame me, but I'm curious if anyone has made the change to an R1T and had any regrets? I ask because my Model 3 does so many things well and I have some concerns that I might really miss some of them (excellent voice nav, voice commands in general, autopilot). My hope is the R1T can provide those things AND everything else I'm looking for from it, like a larger/taller vehicle with a more upright seating position, more space, more refined (and quiet) ride, utility of truck, etc. I know I risk being immediately downvoted by even raising this question, but it's an honest concern/question that I'd really like to hear from current R1T owners about. Any insights, regrets or feedback you'd be willing to share would be appreciated.
Curious about this as well….. The #1 thing I’m hoping to see an improvement on is ride quality with the air suspension.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I think it would be a concern if you were going from a newer Model S or newer Model X to a Rivian than a Model 3 or Model Y. Outside of the obvious size difference, volume built cars like the Model 3 or the Model Y do not have the ride quality that the Rivian has, so the Rivian will not rattle/bounce like the Model 3 or Model Y.

This is not meant to flame Tesla's, it is just my opinion from having owned multiple Model S', multiple Model X's, an Audi e-Tron, multiple Taycan's, have been in Model 3's and Model Y's, and test driven an R1T.

Rivian's user interface and functionality may not match what is in your Model 3 currently, but it will improve over time. Who knows, you may prefer what Rivian does over Tesla over time?

Embrace the vehicle change and enjoy that new car. It is a new world out there and enjoy being a pioneer in the Rivian.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Once you off road the truck, you'll forget all about the M3

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
In part the answer will depend on which model year you have. I had a 2019 and it had some rattles and noise. Now I have a 2022 and it is very quiet. Also the Rivian have the motor noises coming into the cabin so technically the tesla is quieter.
Obviously the model 3 is more nimble and feels like a low to the ground sports car. The Rivian to me feels big.
I never considered the ride in the Tesla as harsh and I do like the ride quality. And I like the ride quality in the Rivian. It's just different.
The December update screwed up the Tesla interface. I am less of a fan than I used to be. I prefer the Rivian interface even if not as fleshed out.
I can keep on going but will stop here with comparisons.
Just embrace what you will get and don't sweat it. Or keep the Tesla like I did! We sold my wife's SUV and now we're happy with whatever car we end up driving on a given day.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My opinion: Do not be reluctant to ask. Waiting for Rivian. Driven 3, driving X ludicrous+. Tesla is only for highways until the Cybertruck arrives, and Rivian is master of adventure anywhere. I have the same type of questions and there are ways Rivian is playing catch up. In my garage the R1S will take the place of the X shortly, but yes I will miss the X windshield which is truly second to none, and the unbeatable free supercharging. Hopefully, the R1S software upgrades will perpetually upgrade this first-of-vehicle, and LG with FE will never grow old. P. S. this X stays in the family.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
In part the answer will depend on which model year you have. I had a 2019 and it had some rattles and noise. Now I have a 2022 and it is very quiet. Also the Rivian have the motor noises coming into the cabin so technically the tesla is quieter.
Obviously the model 3 is more nimble and feels like a low to the ground sports car. The Rivian to me feels big.
I never considered the ride in the Tesla as harsh and I do like the ride quality. And I like the ride quality in the Rivian. It's just different.
The December update screwed up the Tesla interface. I am less of a fan than I used to be. I prefer the Rivian interface even if not as fleshed out.
Just embrace what you will get and don't sweat it. Or keep the Tesla like I did! We sold my wife's SUV and now we're happy with whatever car we end up driving on a given day.
Thanks for this -- appreciate the excellent insight and feedback. If your significant other asked you right now to make a run to the grocery store for a quick item and both your Model 3 and R1T are in the driveway, which one would you take and why?

Reactions: sub

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Ive had this conversation with my wife quite a bit actually. I currently have a Model S - my second Model S in fact. And I love it. It's literally the only car I liked so much that I went in for a second round.

It's a newer Model S - larger battery, Autopilot, AWD, etc. I'm the second (maybe third?) owner of it and my current payment is about half of what the Rivian is. It's size is good. It's comfortable. It's enjoyable to drive. I'm really going to miss it when I sell it, likely on Saturday.

Anyway, scheduled delivery of my R1T is Tuesday. I'll post here with my thoughts initially and after I've had it for a bit.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

I agree with every bit of this and I too am on the verge of changing plans, selling our suv, and keeping the Model 3 + R1T.

Sponsored

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
We’ll have the Model S along with the Rivian R1T for camping and stuff.

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Thanks for this -- appreciate the excellent insight and feedback. If your significant other asked you right now to make a run to the grocery store for a quick item and both your Model 3 and R1T are in the driveway, which one would you take and why?
Probably the Rivian because I love all the attention I am getting and then regret it when I have to squeeze it into the parking space as i am not used to it's length yet 🤣.
Sorry for the non-answer but the Tesla would be the better car for around town from practicality standpoint; ample storage space for groceries and such, more efficient, and easier to zip around in traffic. The Rivian is plenty nimble though, not saying it it is not.
I think the biggest thing you can hold again the Tesla would be if you struggling to get in and out because it is low to the ground. I don't but for example my parents don't like it because of that.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

This is my biggest question, and has been what I've wondered since I made my reservation. I have had a long line of small sporty cars, and I love fun handling. I was never a truck person and just watched from the sidelines as the EV pickups were announced.

Then the first rivian reviews hit and an night or two of sleep and I made a reservation. Just last October. Central to this was feedback that seemed to say it kind of handled like a sports car.

Since then, we bought another house in VT up a mountain dirt road and are constantly moving things, and I absolutely NEED a truck ASAP the last few months, so my reservation went from curiosity to impatience. Every time my 3 was bottoming out in a rut or sliding on the snow, or I just couldn't pack much stuff in it. I need to buy a rider lawnmower used...how the heck would I get it home? Etc.

Rivian came to the rescue and to my complete surprise my delivery is Saturday, way ahead of schedule. I can't freakin wait! And wow, the trade-in offer was above KBB for the 3.

All that to say...I will let you know in a few days!

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I agree with every bit of this and I too am on the verge of changing plans, selling our suv, and keeping the Model 3 + R1T.
We don't feel like we gave anything up replacing the SUV with the rivian except a couple of additional seats that we rarely ever needed to cart other people's kids around, so whatever. We think it's a huge upgrade.

NoICE

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, formerly Tesla 3, Tacoma Off-Road
Clubs

Traded in the 2018 Model 3 AWD LR for the LE R1T and no regrets. The Rivian has the expected software glitches of a new EV, but build quality is far superior, feels much more solid than the 3, and the steering is so much better (hated the model 3's steering). Rivian range as good if not better (orig Tesla range was 305, but fell to 275 after 50k miles). Granted, I wanted the larger vehicle. Plus the sound system in the Rivian is spectacular.
Sponsored