Tesla to open Supercharger network to other EVs

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
They could also make some serious coin for selling the adapters at a ridiculous price. Since it’s proprietary, they could make it where they are essentially the only ones offering it.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yes, they are saying all countries eventually but no real timeline. EU much easier as they are already doing CCS there on their cars.

For the US they would need to create adapters or retrofit extra connectors. I'm sure between the current players and the RAN, by the time they get to the US it will not really matter that much.
I know an EE at Tesla, says it‘s “probable” but can’t say more than that

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
All I can say as a current Tesla owner is: take everything Elon says on Twitter these days with an absolutely massive grain of salt.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
AS I mentioned months ago -

I'm a Tesla owner and Rivian LE holder. I'd gladly pay 3x the normal SC rates to use a Supercharger for the Rivian the few times I'd need it!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
AS I mentioned months ago -

I'm a Tesla owner and Rivian LE holder. I'd gladly pay 3x the normal SC rates to use a Supercharger for the Rivian the few times I'd need it!
Same here. I have one frequent use case where this would be hugely beneficial to me.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Click the link and carefully read the words. "other EVs" really only means other than "long range electric cars". Adding only CT and Semi to the SC network fulfills the promise here. It probably doed not mean just CT and/or Semi but what it definitely does not say is "all other EVs". IMO it's probable that Tesla is in negotiation with one or more of the other BEV manufacturers. You don't have to be a genius to understand that the SC network is head and shoulders above any competing fast charging system and that if you can strike a deal with Tesla you are way ahead of a competitor who doesn't. Some of these competitors sell really nice cars. Why do they sell so poorly relative to Tesla? I think a lot of the reason is in the charging. The results of "why don't you buy an EV" polls seem to suggest that.

Now if one or two manufacturers get into bed with Tesla and their sales zoom, the rest will see the handwriting on the wall and jump on the bandwagon too.

I can envision the technical path too. Start with double headed (CCS and Tesla connector) charging stalls. Tesla has done this in Europe already. It's not a huge job to add an extra cable and, working with one or two other OEMs at a time it shouldn't be a huge job to iron out the vehicle to charger communications and billing interfaces. This would all be paid for by the new OEMs, of course. Is Rivian's money better spent on evolving and building their own charging network or in paying Tesla to modify stations to accept Rivian products? If they want a RAN charger in some remote place they have the choice of building it or buying it from Tesla.

When, and if, my fantasy becomes reality and there are double headed SC all over the county it becomes time to discuss which of the two connector types is to become the standard. When one of the other is chosen all OEMs will start building their vehicles with that connector. Tesla builds cars with CCS connectors and Rivian, Lucid and Ford can certainly put Tesla connectors in their cars and trucks. Adapters may be part of an interim solution. The problem with adapters is that they seem to be limited in how much power they can pass.

The obvious solution to obtaining a working nationwide BEV charging system is to extend the working nationwide charging system that already exists. That's technically feasible. All that needs to be done is get the government out of the way so it can be done, to get the owner of the working system to agree to accept other OEMs products and to get the management of those other OEMs to see the benefits of joining in. I hope Musk's announcement represents the first step along this path but note that he had made similar statements in the past.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I can't see them doing this in the US unless they are gonna try to weasel in on the infrastructure money.
I'm guessing that's exactly why they would be doing it. Tesla stuck themselves into a hole with the SC design being incompatible with any future industry standard, and the public funds absolutely shouldn't be used to expand infrastructure that only applies to a single manufacturer.

Using an adapter to be able to charge the car off a different plug design is a huge kludge that Tesla seems to hate since they still aren't releasing a CCS adapter for US made vehicles. With the amount of CCS stations popping up in the last few years, it seems silly to not at least give their customers the option.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
There will be a lot of people paying very close attention to this particular regulatory process:

(e) Standards And Guidance.—Not less than 180 days after enactment of the INVEST in America Act, the Secretary of Transportation, in coordination with the Secretary of Energy and in consultation with relevant stakeholders, shall, as appropriate, develop standards and guidance applicable to any electric vehicle charging station funded in whole or in part under this title related to—

“(1) the installation, operation, or maintenance by qualified technicians of electric vehicle charging infrastructure;

“(2) the interoperability of electric vehicle charging infrastructure;

“(3) any traffic control device or on-premises sign acquired, installed, or operated related to an electric vehicle charging station funded under this title; and

“(4) network connectivity of electric vehicle charging infrastructure, including measures to protect personal privacy and ensure cybersecurity.
I REALLY hope DOT requires any charging stations built with public funds have hardwired CCS/J1772Combo ports and does not allow Tesla to just have its own connector and an adapter. I also hope they don't just let the whole program be a race to see who can build the most chargers the fastest, because I think that would favor the big entities that will just subsidize their existing plans rather than help build out chargers in areas that Tesla, EA, etc. are currently not planning to service.

Sponsored

OP
OP

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
There will be a lot of people paying very close attention to this particular regulatory process:

I REALLY hope DOT requires any charging stations built with public funds have hardwired CCS/J1772Combo ports and does not allow Tesla to just have its own connector and an adapter. I also hope they don't just let the whole program be a race to see who can build the most chargers the fastest, because I think that would favor the big entities that will just subsidize their existing plans rather than help build out chargers in areas that Tesla, EA, etc. are currently not planning to service.
Amen to that! I think the funds will be a grab bag, but hopefully they force Tesla to retrofit CCS cables so they are liquid cooled for higher speeds

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
you guys need this. Tesla owners don’t need you.
should be interesting
Not everywhere. Colorado is tough to get around without the Chargepoint network installed by the state. Tesla covered all the major highways, but not remote areas.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Amen to that! I think the funds will be a grab bag, but hopefully they force Tesla to retrofit CCS cables so they are liquid cooled for higher speeds
I don't necessarily care as much about forcing Tesla to retrofit existing stations since those were built with Tesla's own money. I'd love to see Tesla ditch their proprietary connector entirely, like they have in Europe, but I don't know that the government is going to try to (or should try to) do it through this particular pot of money. But I do think all new stations that get any public funds should be required to use CCS or J1772. That might trigger Tesla to start a transition, but it might not.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Tesla V3 (250 kW) stations already have liquid cooled cables. What they do not have (AFAIK) is the ability to go up to the 920 V required of the CHARIN HPC350 class of chargers.And they do have CCS connectors (Europe).

OP
OP

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Tesla V3 (250 kW) stations already have liquid cooled cables. What they do not have (AFAIK) is the ability to go up to the 920 V required of the CHARIN HPC350 class of chargers.And they do have CCS connectors (Europe).
But using an adapter wouldn't work for higher power, correct? Since it wouldn't be liquid cooled
Sponsored