First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Haha…. So one anecdotal report on a bolt forum about two charging station in Cali is representative of the overall CCS charging picture in the US? I don’t really see this as a sound counter point.

Have you take a cross country EV road trip? I have without charging station issues. Also read multiple trip reports on this forum that were without issue. Just like anything else negative reports get amplified.

If you believe they hype I definitely would not by a Rivian or other CCS vehicle if you want to road trip it.
If you believe there is just "one anecdotal report" of non-functional DCFC stations, you're not up on current events :)

I'm glad your trip/sessions worked out, but many, many don't. You are characterizing the US CSS charging infrastructure as "fine" based off just your experience which doesn't necessarily represent the "complete" picture of the overall system health.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

This will be great. I’d call EA somewhere between “unacceptable” and “fine”; I’ve never gone to a charger and been unable to charge but have definitely seen issues at the chargers and read about people unable to charge. More stations sounds like a win for Rivians even if it’s a year or two away.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If you believe there is just "one anecdotal report" of non-functional DCFC stations, you're not up on current events :)

I'm glad your trip/sessions worked out, but many, many don't. You are characterizing the US CSS charging infrastructure as "fine" based off just your experience which doesn't necessarily represent the "complete" picture of the overall system health.
It was just one anecdotal report, and not even an emergency as they were able to charge.

I would travel cross country without hesitation, people do it everyday in CCS vehicles and I have yet to see the person who had to get a tow because of charging infrastructure, at least where the person wasn't completely incompetent on EV charging.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
It was just one anecdotal report, and not even an emergency as they were able to charge.

I would travel cross country without hesitation, people do it everyday in CCS vehicles and I have yet to see the person who had to get a tow because of charging infrastructure, at least where the person wasn't completely incompetent on EV charging.
I routinely encounter ea stations that do not work for a variety of reasons.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The whole station out or just one stall out of 4 or 6 not working? I have only once encountered a station that was completely unusable (due to construction in Mojave, CA) but the EA app didn't show it as available so I put that on the Rivian UI for suggesting I stop there.

As a regular EA user then do you feel the EA network is unreliable? We should take only IC or Tesla cars on road trips?

In my experience EA has not been an issue, yes I have seen a stall or two down as well or had to switch stalls when one is charging at slow speeds but never been stranded anywhere nor have I seen the report of the person stranded due to bad charging infrastructure (I am sure it has happened to someone but it is not common)

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
As someone that has owned plug in vehicles for a decade and a Tesla for over 3 years (and follow Tesla very closely), I am pretty certain this will only be for a newly designed charger/bollard that would essentially be V4.
Ideally it will be centrally placed on a parking space with a little bit longer cord to accommodate all vehicle types. Opening up the existing network to non-Tesla vehicles could be a disaster for so many reasons. Extremely unlikely to happen.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
The new EA stations have much better reliability, better screens, and longer cables. Things will continue to improve.

Overall I've had very good success with EA and have always been able to charge when road tripping over the past 2 years in my non-Tesla EVs. But I also live in a region which seems to have better EA reliability and excellent coverage from Charge Point.

dotlinetriangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Forest Green / Black Mountain / 21”
Clubs

Like you mentioned the charger was retrofitted with a ccs cable as well, but as they pointed out, tesla cables tend to be quite short, which is fine for rivian and some other vehicles due to their port location, but others like the lightning, etron etc would find them mostly unusable.

My concern is what adapter are we going to need? The go to right now is the Lectron that can handle 48AMPs which runs $160. How many amps will the adapter for DCFC need to handle and how much is that going to cost us?
I think a compelling product would be a Tesla-made charging adapter in the $299 to $499 range that contains all the wireless and authentication electronics that makes the Supercharger network seamless. Use an app on your phone once to configure the adapter your billing info/link your Tesla account. On the other end, just a normal, dumb-as-possible DCFC connector that works with as many vehicles as possible, with a long-enough cable to reach most charging ports.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I know someone who has seen the prototype SC that accomodates CCS. Assuming that carries through we wouldn't carry a CCS adapter, but we'd have to find the SC locations which have the new equipment.

Sponsored

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Our family just got back from a trip Carmel to Kaiser pass and back. We used EA and I had to call in for charging advice on both legs of the trip.

The first time the charger had to be remotely restarted and the second time the charger just didn't work.

First time using non Tesla public chargers for me.

Hope the chargers are sorted out quickly.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Well there are CCS to Tesla adapters that run $450 and take up to 250kW...so I'd gladly pay that to use the SC network since I paid $150 just to use my Tesla L2 charger.
I don't what Tesla chargers for the CCS to Tesla adapter in South Korea, but I would gladly pay the price and then some for the reverse to have access to their Supercharger network for the Rivian here in the US.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Nobody runs to the internet forums to say "OMG, I was actually able to charge my car on my trip!" There's a huge bias toward sharing the negative experiences. Just because you only read negative accounts all day long does not mean that reflects the typical experience.

We haven't charged much away from home, but we've had 100% success for public DC chargers being operational and performing at acceptable (though perhaps not optimal) speeds. We've used a mix of Electrify America, Electrify Canada, EVGo, and BC Hydro. No, I don't come post about every single success.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

TESLA opening up their network is going to be very very messy.

They know exactly what is plugging into their network now and can optimize speeds, battery conditioning, etc. because they can control all of that since they are in a walled garden.

What happens when a rando EV from a rando manufacturer plugs in? Will it give you peak charging for that specific battery/manufacturer?

Will TESLA have to open up support hotlines to deal with the influx of non-TESLA EVs who will invariably run into issues?

TESLA didn't promise a specific charging rate, so I suspect the rate will be slower and the cost will be higher. Which means an EV at that station will take longer to charge than a TESLA which means more stalls will be occupied overall.

If this isn't executed extremely well it is a recipe for disaster.

My guess is that the "network" doesn't mean every charger. It probably means select chargers that are either installed to handle all EVs/Plugs or are are retrofitted.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
For those of you who have used Tesla charger network extensively, how reliable have they been. 90% of the time the chargers working, nearly always delivering rated capacity, etc.?
Sponsored