First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I thought that sounded interesting so I planned a R1T max trip along my main migratory route with two stops charging

12 --> 69%
10 --> 79%

Driving time 11:29
Total time: 12:18

Then I tried it again with shorter legs and charges of
58 --> 69%
14 --> 51%
20 -- 48%
26 --> 51%
15 --> 48%

Driving Time 11:35
Total Time: 12:49

And then I tried it with a Tesla MX

55 --> 78%
12 --> 59%
10 --> 71%

Drivig time: 11:08
Total time: 12:21

This is an ensemble of 1 trips so by itself it isn't that significant but here's what these numbers show. Getting to the big gun EA chargers adds 21 min to my driving time (R1T to MX) but the higher charging capacity of the big gun chargers gives overall trip time estimate 3 minutes faster than the Tesla net.

Charging the Rivian at a lower rate but at lower SoC costs 6 minutes extra driving time but 31 min in total trip time.

These comparisons are quite favorable IMO. Looks as if the EA network is sufficient along at least my most frequent route.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I thought that sounded interesting so I planned a R1T max trip along my main migratory route with two stops charging

12 --> 69%
10 --> 79%

Driving time 11:29
Total time: 12:18

Then I tried it again with shorter legs and charges of
58 --> 69%
14 --> 51%
20 -- 48%
26 --> 51%
15 --> 48%

Driving Time 11:35
Total Time: 12:49

And then I tried it with a Tesla MX

55 --> 78%
12 --> 59%
10 --> 71%

Drivig time: 11:08
Total time: 12:21

This is an ensemble of 1 trips so by itself it isn't that significant but here's what these numbers show. Getting to the big gun EA chargers adds 21 min to my driving time (R1T to MX) but the higher charging capacity of the big gun chargers gives overall trip time estimate 3 minutes faster than the Tesla net.

Charging the Rivian at a lower rate but at lower SoC costs 6 minutes extra driving time but 31 min in total trip time.

These comparisons are quite favorable IMO. Looks as if the EA network is sufficient along at least my most frequent route.
I generally drain as much as I can on the first leg, and then only charge the min to get to the next supercharger from there on out (assuming the supercharger is conveniently accessed from the route).

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
First, EA is way behind Tesla's network in terms of reliability. The struggles with the car/charger handshake, software bugs, chargers that are out of order or throttle charging speeds- it looks maddening...and most of the time they're the only vehicle at a station. Imagine in a few months when more EVs of all brands are out and about...
In defense of EA, I'm assuming that, even though the handshake and all of the software from EV maker to EV maker should be standardized, I'm guessing that because they are effectively the "PC of EV Charging" and there can be a fair number of variances involved, it probably complicates the crap out of some of the handshake/charging rate work. Compare that to the closed network (Apple) that is Tesla. The car and charging station are designed to work flawlessly.

That said, I agree, I've watched more than a few videos of non-Tesla folks doing long haul drives, and the reliability of the EA stations is... concerning.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Greg,

Thanks for sharing this article. I think it will serve everyone well to have more options available for charging. If people decide not to use the charging system of other OEMs, or even specific charging systems, so be it. That's their choice.

Personally, if having an adapter will allow the Rivian family to charge our vehicles at Tesla SCs and help eliminate range anxiety until the RAN is up and running, so be it. I already have five or six accounts activated with existing and growing networks and I'd prefer to avoid using Tesla's system, especially if the adapter is expensive before ever getting a single charge.

I imagine those who will own both a Rivian and a Tesla will have no issue with using SuperChargers, other than the expense of the adapter. I'd prefer to hoard my bucks and my info, use a great route planner, and utilize the ever-growing network of CCS-dedicated stations across the country. While it might take awhile before CCS charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations, that day is coming. At some point, range anxiety will be reserved for the same fools who run out of gas, telling their spouse "No, no, we're good. Trust me. We can make it!". Been there, done that.... ?‍♂

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Greg,

Thanks for sharing this article. I think it will serve everyone well to have more options available for charging. If people decide not to use the charging system of other OEMs, or even specific charging systems, so be it. That's their choice.

Personally, if having an adapter will allow the Rivian family to charge our vehicles at Tesla SCs and help eliminate range anxiety until the RAN is up and running, so be it. I already have five or six accounts activated with existing and growing networks and I'd prefer to avoid using Tesla's system, especially if the adapter is expensive before ever getting a single charge.

I imagine those who will own both a Rivian and a Tesla will have no issue with using SuperChargers, other than the expense of the adapter. I'd prefer to hoard my bucks and my info, use a great route planner, and utilize the ever-growing network of CCS-dedicated stations across the country. While it might take awhile before CCS charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations, that day is coming. At some point, range anxiety will be reserved for the same fools who run out of gas, telling their spouse "No, no, we're good. Trust me. We can make it!". Been there, done that.... ?‍♂
I’ve got one frequent trip where it would be hugely advantageous. No current plans for RAN or EA on that route, but there’s an existing Supercharger. It would save me a 60-90 minute diversion. Cost of adapter and paying whatever rates Tesla wants to put on us is still cheaper than MaxPack upgrade. As I keep reminding @TessP100D, charging infrastructure is king! ?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I’ve got one frequent trip where it would be hugely advantageous. No current plans for RAN or EA on that route, but there’s an existing Supercharger. It would save me a 60-90 minute diversion. Cost of adapter and paying whatever rates Tesla wants to put on us is still cheaper than MaxPack upgrade. As I keep reminding @TessP100D, charging infrastructure is king! ?
Some day in the future of everybody can get on the same page, charging infrastructure will be king.

but today… for the guy buying a EV today…. wait for it……wait for it……..

Range is King.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some day in the future of everybody can get on the same page, charging infrastructure will be king.

but today… for the guy buying a EV today…. wait for it……wait for it……..

Range is King.
Today? M..a…y…b..e……. But if Tesla opens up the supercharger network to any EV, then it’s game over! ?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Today? M..a…y…b..e……. But if Tesla opens up the supercharger network to any EV, then it’s game over! ?
Or game on. Lol.

it shiuod be fun to see what Crazy Elon does next.
Sponsored