Tesla to allow non Tesla EVs to use their Superchargers

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
In today's Tesla quarterly conference call, Elon Musk laid out how Tesla will allow non Tesla EV owners to charge at their Superchargers. In a nutshell, there will be an app for that.

Using (presumably) the standard Tesla app, you'd create an account with your credit card. Once you arrive at a Supercharger, you'd enter in the location (presumably GPS enabled/aware) and the stall number. The app would then authorize a non Tesla charging session for that stall.

European and Chinese users would be able to plug in without an adapter since Superchargers there use standard European and Chinese standards. North American users would have to pre purchase an adapter to be able to use Tesla superchargers.

Charge rates would vary depending on how busy the site was (cheaper rates when the site is more empty, higher rates during "rush hours").

No word on when this would happen.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Sounds great… now switch all your cars and supercharger sites to J1772 Combo plugs so nobody in North America will need an adapter to use any charging station.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
What's the timeframe on this getting rolled out? Soon?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Sounds great… now switch all your cars and supercharger sites to J1772 Combo plugs so nobody in North America will need an adapter to use any charging station.
No way Tesla does that, vs selling a $$$$ adapter

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
No way Tesla does that, vs selling a $$$$ adapter
Can’t a third party make an adaptor like Teslatap did for the level two destination chargers? I think Tesla is going for the revenue from the actually charging. I’ll pay $200-300 easily for an adaptor if this happens

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Can’t a third party make an adaptor like Teslatap did for the level two destination chargers? I think Tesla is going for the revenue from the actually charging. I’ll pay $200-300 easily for an adaptor if this happens
Sure a third party could make an adapter, but why would Tesla forego the cash money from selling marked up Tesla branded ones?

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
What's the timeframe on this getting rolled out? Soon?
Tesla doesn't do "soon" Tesla does Elon-time. Elon is generally massively optimistic with his timelines, so definitely pad by 6m to a year ... perhaps more

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
On a less sassy note, this is huge news. This may let me switch from the max pack back to the 300mi pack if I'm able to depend on the Tesla SC network. I'm usually one of (but not THE one you're thinking about) that thinks "Range is King". But enough range and a legitimately good DCFC network(s) to depend on would make me reconsider and save that 10k for the max pack. An interesting development indeed! ?

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I’ll pay $200-300 easily for an adaptor if this happens
$200-$300 is probably a bit optimistic.
Tesla currently sells CHAdeMO adapters for $400. It's only good for 50kW and is sold to Tesla owners, so I expect something more expensive than that. $500 would be my guess.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
$200-$300 is probably a bit optimistic.
Tesla currently sells CHAdeMO adapters for $400. It's only good for 50kW and is sold to Tesla owners, so I expect something more expensive than that. $500 would be my guess.
And that adapter was even more when it first came out. IIRC it was like $1,000, then dropped to $750, then $550 and now $400.

I’m pretty stoked about this announcement and hope they follow through S00N! I like the billing based on how busy the Supercharger is. The one place where this would help me has never had more than 2 other cars there besides me and it’s an 8 bay station. ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like they're really working around some limitations:

We are thinking about a real simple thin where you just download the Tesla app, you go to the Supercharger, you just indicate which stall you are in, you plug in your car, even if it’s not a Tesla, and you just access the app to tell “turn on the stall that I’m in for how much electricity”, and this should work for almost any manufacturer’s electric car.

So... Basically you're prepaying for an amount of electricity, and have to guess as to what amount you want is. Sounds like EA, but with the pain if prepayment. Hopefully it all works 90% as well as it does with Tesla's.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Sure a third party could make an adapter, but why would Tesla forego the cash money from selling marked up Tesla branded ones?
Hopefully there are plenty of third party options and the price becomes reasonable.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Hopefully there are plenty of third party options and the price becomes reasonable.
Since Tesla locks out DCFC (not just Supercharger access) from salvage title cars "for safety reasons", I can't see them allowing third party adapters on the SC network.

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
on the conference call they said there would be adapters at the super chargers. As long as people didn't steal them
Sponsored