Tesla to add Apple Music, hopefully Rivian follows suit

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I’d love Apple Music, but fixing/adding text integration is a higher priority IMO.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There was a recent reddit thread that reminded me why I never trusted apple with apple music. It annihilated your personal music library and replaces the tracks with their DRMed bullshit. Fuck Apple.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Can you share the threads?

When I switched to Apple Music, it did switch to cloud service instead of sourcing from my personally ripped mp3s. But it left ALL my ripped mp3s/acc intact and useable on the HDD. I find it confusing that you have to toggle it.

But you do have to toggle back and forth.

All music you rent or buy is DRMed if it’s not streamed.

There was a recent reddit thread that reminded me why I never trusted apple with apple music. It annihilated your personal music library and replaces the tracks with their DRMed bullshit. Fuck Apple.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Can you share the threads?

When I switched to Apple Music, it did switch to cloud service instead of sourcing from my personally ripped mp3s. But it left ALL my ripped mp3s/acc intact and useable on the HDD. I find it confusing that you have to toggle it.

But you do have to toggle back and forth.

All music you rent or buy is DRMed if it’s not streamed.
I can't find the reddit thread now, but this mirrors the experience I had with it back when I first tried it out. I restored everything from backup and nuked iTunes. I'd somehow forgotten that this happened.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7142385

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If I recall, Apple explained at the time exactly what “merge or replace” meant for any uploaded music. It definitely was not a smooth transition because I tried the “merge” and eventually switched to “replace” just for the convenience of it. That sucked for a few years until they finally upgraded to lossless. At least now I feel like I got the quality back from all those CD tracks. That match function was really bad in the beginning but it did improve over the years.

I don’t know of any streaming services that have successfully integrated their streaming libraries with customers’ uploaded libraries without a bunch of issues. The only people I know these days who have total control over their own portable music libraries are those who basically create their own music server or keep it all on USB drives. That would be a good solution except Rivian has no way to connect via USB :rolleyes:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mister Person

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

What's frustrating is to go out and want to listen to some deep track that I know is in my library, but my phone won't play it because it's not "authorized" or whatever. Yeah, the iTunes Match service back in the day sort of messed things up.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
And there it is,

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla to add Apple Music, hopefully Rivian follows suit 20221214_101410