Sponsored

Tesla Slashes Prices Again - $39,900 M3, $49,900 MY Long Range

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Some odd posts about you cant cross shop and R1S and Model Y…I’m 100% cross shopping an R1S and a Model Y. I need an EV to replace a 7 seat mid-sized ICE SUV. The R1S and the MY both do that job. Now the R1S certainly does things a MY can’t, but still does the core job and for a LOT less money. I certainly cant justify the extra cost. If you don‘t need to go off-road, the MY is the better buy in my opinion vs R1S. This is coming from someone that is in love with their R1T in an almost unhealthy way :)
It's mathing closer and closer for us. Even with grandfather pricing, $33.5k difference if Rivian doesn't get tax credit is a hard sell for the wife. I've already got the adventure truck, we could just use the MY for on-road trips that don't require a RTT, bikes, boats, or skis.

Turns out MY can have a hitch and okay roof rack, so it can handle all but the RTT. Crap.
Sponsored

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
Ha! Hope you don't need a real 3rd row...the fit and finish of the R1S far exceeds anything coming out of Tesla right now. If you enjoy a "plastic-y" interior knock yourself out....
If they drop the Model X to that price eeek they have a big demand problem.

I agree with the view that Tesla are needing price drops to encourage demand, and I bet they’re enjoying the side benefit of putting pressure on other EV makers.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
This has turned into quite a thread ;)..........there is a truth here though, the Model Y Long Range at $49,900, especially if the $7500 credit works for your taxes, is an absolute bargain. There just isn't really anything else.....
Yes, Model Y is now half the price of the R1S. It certainly is not in the same class as the R1S, but it works fine at what vehicles are intended to do.

Where the Model Y pricing really does the damage is the Moch E and similar. Considering Teslas advantage in software and charging it takes a lot of hate for Musk to not buy the Tesla in that price range.

Many Tesla investors are now resting their hopes on full self drive. Yet at the Tesla master plan meeting just a few months ago Musk said that Tesla didn't need more models and that demand was unlimited for what they offer now.

Henry Ford didn't want to build the Model A, which was needed for Ford's continued growth. Musk shows the same old man thinking. Musk has also surrounded himself with men who can't express their opinion and expect to keep their job.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
too bad Tesla doesn't make an SUV or a pick up.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
But the rockets.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Market appears to be unhappy today with Tesla’s latest earnings report and price cuts.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Market appears to be unhappy today with Tesla’s latest earnings report and price cuts.
Basically Elon said that margins will not improve, and may get even worse. His only hope for improving margins back to "tech company" levels is to make FSD truly self driving and sell significantly more FSD upgrades. He again repeated his grandiose claims of FSD would be ready by the end of the year.

So at this point, Tesla will have GM/VW margins until FSD sells in significant numbers, which may never happen.

They aren't going bankrupt obviously, but their stock may drop until their PE ratio returns to earth and aligns with more traditional automakers.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Basically Elon said that margins will not improve, and may get even worse. His only hope for improving margins back to "tech company" levels is to make FSD truly self driving and sell significantly more FSD upgrades. He again repeated his grandiose claims of FSD would be ready by the end of the year.

So at this point, Tesla will have GM/VW margins until FSD sells in significant numbers, which may never happen.

They aren't going bankrupt obviously, but their stock may drop until their PE ratio returns to earth and aligns with more traditional automakers.
sounds about right. They are turning into an actual car company so their valuation should reflect that. I'm still happy they are pumping out as many EVs as possible although I will never buy one unless Musk is no longer in charge.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

sounds about right. They are turning into an actual car company so their valuation should reflect that. I'm still happy they are pumping out as many EVs as possible although I will never buy one unless Musk is no longer in charge.
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Slashes Prices Again - $39,900 M3, $49,900 MY Long Range IMG_20230420_083505

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
When you have 5-20X more net profit per car than anyone on the planet, your pocketbook can dictate the future...at least in the interim....
20X? Yeah right. Estimations are all over the map. Here are some from John McElroy at Autoline:

Per him, they were making just under $10k per car. BMW made just $1500 less.

This was before the price cuts.

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

20X? Yeah right. Estimations are all over the map. Here are some from John McElroy at Autoline:

Per him, they were making just under $10k per car. BMW made just $1500 less.

This was before the price cuts.
The comparison was for Ev makers and the numbers were already graphed out in a previous post and are fully accurate some companies are losing thousands of dollars per vehicle and if I were to factor Rivian into the equation the 20x number wouldn't even be close it would be more like 40 x

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
And many Cybertruck reservation holders still expect the vehicle price given in 2019 to hold. People be crazy.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
People saying the Y isn't comparable to the R1 seem to be missing the point that "EV" is somewhat of a category all on its own. People in the market for a car like this are cross shopping across a much wider range of the market because their main consideration is "EV" not a particular form factor or even price, it's hard to argue with something meeting that goal at half the cost.

The Y has similar range and decent utility, even if not quite as capable to the R1S at half the price. I had almost bought an S before the price got jacked up and was looking at the Lucid when my R1 came through and could have seen myself ending up with either of those cars (but ultimately it was hard to argue the additional expense with the early pricing of the R1 and credits.)

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Tesla losing its story stock status is not good for Rivian's share price.
Sponsored