First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self
This is a nothing burger. To be addressed by an OTA update.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP
popoga

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

This is a nothing burger. To be addressed by an OTA update.
I agree it's not huge, but technically a recall, and that's a lot of vehicles to roll changes out to - even relatively safe ones.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/TESLA/MODEL%2520X#recalls

I'm not clear on what's being recalled.

"
362,758 vehicles <– this is the total number of FSD licenses sold to date.

Summary
Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2016-2023 Model S, Model X, 2017-2023 Model 3, and 2020-2023 Model Y vehicles equipped with Full Self-Driving Beta (FSD Beta) software or pending installation. The FSD Beta system may allow the vehicle to act unsafe around intersections, such as traveling straight through an intersection while in a turn-only lane, entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop, or proceeding into an intersection during a steady yellow traffic signal without due caution. In addition, the system may respond insufficiently to changes in posted speed limits or not adequately account for the driver's adjustment of the vehicle's speed to exceed posted speed limits.
Remedy
Tesla will release an over-the-air (OTA) software update, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed by April 15, 2023.

"

If Tesla "recalls" FSD, all they can do is deactivate it. They can't (haven't) been able to solve the functionality problems (as given in the examples, unsafe turns, ignoring speed limits) so does the owner/user have the option to just acknowledge the failure cases or is Tesla just deactivating FSD?

I wonder if people purchasing FSD today know it's being recalled and maybe it's being FSD'd "Fully Self Deactivated"? : )

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
About the only REAL thing this recall does is giving us the necessary information to figure out the take rate of FSD so far.

As to the actual recall Tesla will try to fix what's on the recall, but then other things will come up and around the circle they'll go.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Last edited:

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
All I know is I would be really upset if I spent 15K on a feature that never worked as promised and will now do nothing at all. I already know the answer to this, but is Tesla offering everyone with FSD a refund of any money paid towards it?

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Can I get a $10k refund on my fsd and they can recall the whole feature from my car?
This

All I know is I would be really upset if I spent 15K on a feature that never worked as promised and will now do nothing at all. I already know the answer to this, but is Tesla offering everyone with FSD a refund of any money paid towards it?
Only if someone with power makes them.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The NHTSA recall is their bureaucratic way of saying OTA update.
Tesla has agreed to update FSD to handle designated turn lanes and to recognize speed limit signs.

This appears to be conventional market tactics. What's called "barrier to entry" or "cost of entry" methods. Established dominant competitors will use their size and their lobbyists to maneuver politicians and regulators into policy and law making that increases the cost of business for smaller competitors to enter the market.

I'm afraid that as the politicians and oil industry lobbyists lay down these "barrier to entry" landmines, those mines are there for Rivian and all other EV manufacturers and OEMs.

As the other EV manfs see the trouble with autonomy is mostly in getting tangled in red tape, they dial back their efforts … it's just too expensive to tangle with bureaucrats. As the old saying goes, "first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience." : )

In this example – and thank you for reading this far – the code changes could well turn off one of Tesla's better features in Autopilot and FSD: the setting to adjust cruise speed alerts to an offset of the indicated speed limit (e.g. plus 5 mph, or plus 10%.) That would be a shame to lose. It really makes it just the same old nonsense of everyone driving at 85 mph on the freeway in a 65 mph zone during commute time on your way to the airport with all lanes full, but you can get a "speeding" ticket a 10:00pm driving home from the airport …

Last edited:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I feel like an idiot having spent $10k on fsd, let alone $15k

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I want my FSD! Ow!!

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Recalling 362,000 Cars With "Full Self Driving" System 1676863982151
Sponsored