Sponsored

Tesla Raj talking about Rivian after driving it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla Raj. Not kilowats. Had me confused for a bit. Lol

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
This is a freaking joke. Another Tesla shrill touting the Tesla Supercharging network as perfect, and Electrify America charging network as garbage. Why is this even posted on this board? Total Tesla propaganda crap. Raj says "I would never road trip in a non-Tesla." That guy is a hack, and ignorant.

I have driven 25,000 miles in an Audi or Porsche EV, and have NEVER been stuck, or EVER had my vehicle bricked.

Is Electrify America perfect, certainly not, but why post pro-Tesla bull$shit on this board when it is factually untrue? Thousands of people with CCS EVs leverage the Electrify America charging network, or others, everyday to go on long drives without any issues. I am in the middle of a 2,000 mile road trip in my Taycan and am achieving charging speeds that most Tesla's can only dream of.

Call me when a Tesla has charged 65kwH in 20 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Babbuino

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Tesla Raj. Not kilowats. Had me confused for a bit. Lol
? yeah my bad, I just posted it since I got the notification from kilowatts

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
This is a freaking joke. Another Tesla shrill touting the Tesla Supercharging network as perfect, and Electrify America charging network as garbage. Why is this even posted on this board? Total Tesla propaganda crap. Raj says "I would never road trip in a non-Tesla." That guy is a hack, and ignorant.

I have driven 25,000 miles in an Audi or Porsche EV, and have NEVER been stuck, or EVER had my vehicle bricked.

Is Electrify America perfect, certainly not, but why post pro-Tesla bull$shit on this board when it is factually untrue? Thousands of people with CCS EVs leverage the Electrify America charging network, or others, everyday to go on long drives without any issues. I am in the middle of a 2,000 mile road trip in my Taycan and am achieving charging speeds that most Tesla's can only dream of.

As a Tesla owner and a Rivian reservation holder I really appreciate your post and confidence in EA/CCS charging. Since we do a lot of long road trips, fast charging is an important unknown for us. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

It really depends on where you live most likely. In Southern and Central California at least Tesla supercharging network is so far ahead of EA its not even funny. Major routes have Tesla superchargers with 30-50 chargers while EA will only have 4-6, and there is usually 1 or 2 of them not working everytime I check plugshare. Maybe where you live EA is decent, but its not that great here.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Scoiatael and @Jabbahop

Since 2015 I have owned two different Model S', two different Model X's, an Audi e-Tron, and a Porsche Taycan 4s. I have logged serious miles in all of those vehicles.

I have no issues touting the strength and superiority of the Tesla Supercharging network. What I have issues with are people who spout absolutes on the internet about things that factually untrue. Why would someone spew that they "would never road trip in a non-Tesla EV" if they don't have a lot of experience in ownership of both types of vehicles???? I feel I can because I have longer term ownership of both types of cars.

Can you road trip in a CCS compatible EV? That answer is an absolute yes. Are there locations with 40 or 50 Electrify America chargers in California? No. But, in the almost 3 years I have been driving CCS compatible EV's, I have never waited to use a charger like I have when I owned Teslas. I have been to Idaho, California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas in an EV and successfully charged at Electrify America locations in all those states.

Once again, I feel that bull$hit type of conversation has to be posted with a caveat - this is one guy's OPINION, and he has little evidence to back up his opinion.

IF YOU BUY A RIVIAN YOU WILL HAVE NO ISSUES ROAD TRIPPING. But, as with everything in life, always have a back up plan. That is the message that should be shared on this board.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
IF YOU BUY A RIVIAN YOU WILL HAVE NO ISSUES ROAD TRIPPING. But, as with everything in life, always have a back up plan. That is the message that should be shared on this board.
Unless you are an employee, and get one in 2022, and need to raod trip through the upper Midwest along I-90 or north.

2023 though? Probably totally fine.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unless you are an employee, and get one in 2022, and need to raod trip through the upper Midwest along I-90 or north.

2023 though? Probably totally fine.

Touche!!

If you want to go to eastern Montana or North Dakota use the back up plan! Once you actually take ownership.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Touche!!

If you want to go to eastern Montana or North Dakota use the back up plan! Once you actually take ownership.
Heh, looks like camping in Teddy Roosevelt park and driving in conserve mode for our summer trip if we can get our max pack by then.

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Heh, looks like camping in Teddy Roosevelt park and driving in conserve mode for our summer trip if we can get our max pack by then.
It maybe a moot point. Electrify America will have made a lot of progress on phase 3 or its expansion plan - which includes eastern Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming by 2023. Based on the news of deliveries being pushed back due to the current global manufacturing conditions, will probably coincide when Rivian starts large scale customer deliveries.

I hope that is not true, but launching a new car company is hard. Ramping up the manufacturing process during these unique times is something that has never been done, and multiplies the difficulty by a number of factors. I feel people need to look at Tesla as an example since they successfully proved how hard launching a new car company is to do, and they did not have a pandemic hit at launch.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
It maybe a moot point. Electrify America will have made a lot of progress on phase 3 or its expansion plan - which includes eastern Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming by 2023. Based on the news of deliveries being pushed back due to the current global manufacturing conditions, will probably coincide when Rivian starts large scale customer deliveries.

I hope that is not true, but launching a new car company is hard. Ramping up the manufacturing process during these unique times is something that has never been done, and multiplies the difficulty by a number of factors. I feel people need to look at Tesla as an example since they successfully proved how hard launching a new car company is to do, and they did not have a pandemic hit at launch.
Heh as an optimist I keep hoping, while mostly planning on just using our Model Y again.

“I’d say more like one out of a million.”

“So you’re telling me there’s a chance. YEAH!”

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
there's a new EA spot on Wall. There isn't another one within probably 500 miles, but they have that! Lol

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
As others posted, the messages of EA's issues are highly exaggerated. I'm using EA for 2 years now and I've never been stranded. A couple times I had to try another plug, but that's it and there was always another one available.
Also where I live and travel EA chargers are almost always empty, so same as others I've never had to wait for free plug. I'd say that 90% of the time there is no one else at the station charging and my car is not charging very fast so I spend good 30-40 minutes there. I actually feel pretty bad every time I charge, because I'm worried they will just go under with such a low demand.

While we're on it. Anyone knows does Rivian support plug&charge? That's a feature I'd really like. @Denver_Paulie your Taycan has this capability for some time now right? Does it work nicely?

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
While we're on it. Anyone knows does Rivian support plug&charge? That's a feature I'd really like. @Denver_Paulie your Taycan has this capability for some time now right? Does it work nicely?
[/QUOTE]

@slawwach . I do have plug and charge on my Taycan. I did not have the capability on my '19 Audi e-Tron and my first 2020 Taycan. But, my '21 Taycan has it and it is super convenient - no more having to initiate a charge through the app first. From what I understand, most of the newer cars have enabled plug and charge through Electrify America, so hopefully Rivian will have that capability as well.
Sponsored