First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I find it helpful to look down the road, and assess things that are likely to happen and how that would affect things around me. It has been enormously helpful in my investments, and in my life in general. It keeps me from being surprised and unprepared.

Based on the impressively large crew bolting the assembly line and presses into place, a reasonable person could assume that the Cybertruk line will be producing early versions of the vehicle within months. No, I don't base much on what Elon says, but when physical evidence like a production line being built presents itself, it would seem unwise to summarily dismiss such evidence.

Best information has the Cybertruk being produced in relatively low numbers this year, probably around 10,000 of them. While that is not enough to shake the market, there is a singular thing that certainly will; that little line named "pricing." Depending on what that number is, it could indeed shake up the industry significantly.

Again, not wishing to have my head buried deep in the sand, I look at what Tesla's seeming intent appears to be. They appear to be wanting to use their manufacturing muscle at this point to squeeze the competition. All evidence on the table, I certainly would not rule out Tesla coming in at a pretty competitive opening price for the CT, causing some stress on direct competition such as Rivian.

I lay out this information not in an attempt to get into an argument, rather as a tool for those wishing to plan a purchase. If the above pins fall into place, I believe we will see dramatically less expensive used Rivians come fall.
Again you do not understand what I said. I said the reason Rivian flippers dry up with Rivian used car prices going down was just because of time and has no relevance to Tesla price reduction cutting the knees off their competitors. What I said had concrete values - as we've seen market prices went down even before the Tesla price cuts with Rivian increased manufacturing production. I then said you don't cross-shop a used R1T with a Cybertruck that doesn't yet exist.

I don't speculate on the CT. The EV truck field is going to be very competitive. There's the R1T, Lightning, Silverado, RAM, Hummer, etc... many more. Can the CT dominate, whether on price, features, refinement, performance, form or function? FWIW, Tesla does not have the manufacturing muscle to squeeze the competitions (in plural).
Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Just took delivery of my '23 Model Y. This is our 3rd after a '21 then '22 versions which had 35k miles between the both of them. Each vehicle has been better than the previous and this '23 Model Y is the best yet. It's quieter with felt-lined door pockets, more comfortable suspension that minimizes small-amplitude rough road, and has tight tolerances for fit/finish.

I didn't think that I'd be in this position, but given our other vehicles (4Runner and AWD Sprinter camper van), we may have a hard time justifying the additional $20-30k to switch to the R1S from the Model Y. If I had infinite funds, we'd sell the 4Runner and pick up the R1S but it's already kind of nuts to have three cars for two people. Can't have that much money out sitting in the driveway.

Curious if other people who picked up a Model Y and are waiting for their R1S suddenly find themselves in a similar boat.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just took delivery of my '23 Model Y. This is our 3rd after a '21 then '22 versions which had 35k miles between the both of them. Each vehicle has been better than the previous and this '23 Model Y is the best yet. It's quieter with felt-lined door pockets, more comfortable suspension that minimizes small-amplitude rough road, and has tight tolerances for fit/finish.

I didn't think that I'd be in this position, but given our other vehicles (4Runner and AWD Sprinter camper van), we may have a hard time justifying the additional $20-30k to switch to the R1S from the Model Y. If I had infinite funds, we'd sell the 4Runner and pick up the R1S but it's already kind of nuts to have three cars for two people. Can't have that much money out sitting in the driveway.

Curious if other people who picked up a Model Y and are waiting for their R1S suddenly find themselves in a similar boat.
I just sold my R1T & kept the Y, so similar situation. I do have a reservation for a R1S however, so giving Rivian another shot whenever they end up getting it to me.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

Thoughts?
I still remember the days when a used vehicle lost thousands of dollars in value the second you drove it off the lot. That's really how it should work, and the fact that it looks more and more like vehicles are going back to this means the Federal reserve's actions are working. I'm not surprised to see signs of a slowing economy when the most powerful banking system in the world has made slowing the economy down their priority over the past year.

This has much less to do with Rivian than it does with supply pricing overall. Really the same thing with Tesla cutting prices. Downward pressure will squeeze every manufacturer to lower their own prices but that isn't the end of the line, that same pressure will squeeze every supplier of said manufacturer's parts as well. Cutting costs will become more realistic for all manufacturers when prices of supplies come down.

I'm happy to see this downward pressure as prices for everything from milk and eggs to cars to building materials isn't going to come down until demand cools. The tl;dr here is that seeing prices fall on Rivian's is just a symptom of the greater market and doesn't reflect a unique dissatisfaction with Rivian.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Drove past a new Tesla Model X Plaid today, still had temporary plates. The panel gapping around the trunk was surprisingly bad. I thought they had that under control by now.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Price Cuts Across The Board B098F09C-A8E3-4CF6-8173-FCB1317816F9

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Drove past a new Tesla Model X Plaid today, still had temporary plates. The panel gapping around the trunk was surprisingly bad. I thought they had that under control by now.

B098F09C-A8E3-4CF6-8173-FCB1317816F9.jpeg
It does not look like it is latched all the way.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I do not comment or speculate about something which has not materialize yet. Find me a CT and we'll talk.
Latest update indicates the CT will finally come to market on or around my 89th Birthday, so there's that......

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

B098F09C-A8E3-4CF6-8173-FCB1317816F9.jpeg
😥😲

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Price cut did wonders for the stock performance. Nearly 60% up from the new year? Geez

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
FWIW, when Tesla reset prices a few weeks ago, I cancelled my R1S order and ordered a Model Y to be delivered late February. It's not the same vehicle but it arrives in about 3 weeks. I can use my home and work plugins for when I drive the Tesla. I can re-evaluate the market in 12-18 months while I drive the Model Y in the meantime.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
More huge price cuts! Puts the X squarely in line with the R1S….

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43212919/2023-tesla-model-s-model-x-price-cuts/

“The Model X now starts at $101,380—down from $111,630. The high-performance Plaid versions of each now start at $111,380. Previously, they started at $116,630 (Model S) and $121,630 (Model X).”
7-seater Model X starts at $103,500 versus a Quad Motor Large Pack R1S starts at $92,000. So there is still a $11,500 difference.
Sponsored