Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Forgive me. I must have mistaken bulletproof exoskeleton and armored glass. Both of which are gimmicks imo. Glad you guys are excited for it. Will be cool to see on the road.
Been driving for almost fifty years now and never once been shot at — even back when I drove a Peugeot wagon years ago.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Been driving for almost fifty years now and never once been shot at — even back when I drove a Peugeot wagon years ago.
Would you like us to change that?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It also has bulletproof glass!
Correct. Your Jeep does not exist in the context of this conversation.
Wow. Ok then. 🫤

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Thoughts?
Yup. Power move by the T brand that is going to weed out all but the strongest... hoping Rivian can ride out the shockwaves.

At the end of the day, however, we the consumer win as prices come down. Happy about that.

Sponsored

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
It is good news I think for Rivian buyers that actually want to use their vehicles. As the Tesla price reductions cut the knees off their competitors, this means people buying Rivians just to flip will dry up as their used values continue to decrease.

As will the weak economy coming over the next couple of years.

This would speed up deliveries.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
It is good news I think for Rivian buyers that actually want to use their vehicles. As the Tesla price reductions cut the knees off their competitors, this means people buying Rivians just to flip will dry up as their used values continue to decrease.

As will the weak economy coming over the next couple of years.

This would speed up deliveries.
I don't think the Rivian used car values has any relevance to the Tesla price cuts. People don't usually cross-shop between the two. The Rivian R1T/R1S are highly specialized vehicles that do not compete with Tesla. So I see Rivian flippers drying up as a result of time and not from "Tesla price reduction cutting the knees off their competitors" as you indicate.

The Tesla price cuts is not a coincidence it happened as established Asian manufacturers like KIA and Hyundai begin to make inroads with their award winning and much cheaper EVs. We know that Chinese manufacturers with their cheaper EVs are coming - BYD has sold more EVs than Tesla in China. And the fact that Tesla produced more cars than it delivered during the period of unprecedented supply chain problems indicate that it's not the issue for their cars sitting on the lot as with other manufacturers. As supply chain problems ease, Tesla will face even fiercer competition.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't think the Rivian used car values has any relevance to the Tesla price cuts. People don't usually cross-shop between the two. The Rivian R1T/R1S are highly specialized vehicles that do not compete with Tesla. So I see Rivian flippers drying up as a result of time and not from "Tesla price reduction cutting the knees off their competitors" as you indicate.

The Tesla price cuts is not a coincidence it happened as established Asian manufacturers like KIA and Hyundai begin to make inroads with their award winning and much cheaper EVs. We know that Chinese manufacturers with their cheaper EVs are coming - BYD has sold more EVs than Tesla in China. And the fact that Tesla produced more cars than it delivered during the period of unprecedented supply chain problems indicate that it's not the issue for their cars sitting on the lot as with other manufacturers. As supply chain problems ease, Tesla will face even fiercer competition.
You may not like Tesla or the Cybertruk, but it is a direct competitor. If pricing is released this year that seriously undercuts Rivian, it absolutely will affect Rivian, and they may want to adjust pricing accordingly.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
You may not like Tesla or the Cybertruk, but it is a direct competitor. If pricing is released this year that seriously undercuts Rivian, it absolutely will affect Rivian, and they may want to adjust pricing accordingly.
I do not comment or speculate about something which has not materialize yet. Find me a CT and we'll talk.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I’m still nervous about the CT price also. I’m going to be surprised if it’s cheaper than the R1T, I’m guessing it will start at 79.9k and go up to 130k but who knows with their recent price cuts
I wouldn't be surprised if the Cybertruck is $100k when it debuts. But when demand drops, prices drop to $80k (or whatever tax incentive is). And then you will have early buyers upset, or saying what a "great value" it is.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I do not comment or speculate about something which has not materialize yet. Find me a CT and we'll talk.
I find it helpful to look down the road, and assess things that are likely to happen and how that would affect things around me. It has been enormously helpful in my investments, and in my life in general. It keeps me from being surprised and unprepared.

Based on the impressively large crew bolting the assembly line and presses into place, a reasonable person could assume that the Cybertruk line will be producing early versions of the vehicle within months. No, I don't base much on what Elon says, but when physical evidence like a production line being built presents itself, it would seem unwise to summarily dismiss such evidence.

Best information has the Cybertruk being produced in relatively low numbers this year, probably around 10,000 of them. While that is not enough to shake the market, there is a singular thing that certainly will; that little line named "pricing." Depending on what that number is, it could indeed shake up the industry significantly.

Again, not wishing to have my head buried deep in the sand, I look at what Tesla's seeming intent appears to be. They appear to be wanting to use their manufacturing muscle at this point to squeeze the competition. All evidence on the table, I certainly would not rule out Tesla coming in at a pretty competitive opening price for the CT, causing some stress on direct competition such as Rivian.

I lay out this information not in an attempt to get into an argument, rather as a tool for those wishing to plan a purchase. If the above pins fall into place, I believe we will see dramatically less expensive used Rivians come fall.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised if the Cybertruck is $100k when it debuts. But when demand drops, prices drop to $80k (or whatever tax incentive is). And then you will have early buyers upset, or saying what a "great value" it is.
I am sure they will have high-end variants in that price range, but I think it is equally likely that there will be lower end offerings aimed at disrupting competition. It is a move that fits Tesla's current playbook, and even if those less expensive variants aren't provided right away it does damage to the competitor's positions.

Either way, it is looking like we should know by around August.
Sponsored