Tesla Price Cuts Across The Board

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Agree with this. Cybertruck is going to crush Rivian. Rivian will become boutique and barely survive.
That's not at all what I said lol. CT is vaperware until it ships and once it does in 2034 we'll be on the R2 platform. Even still, I don't see how CT and Rivian are in the same league, just as I don't see the Rivian and Hummer EV in the same league. And also, they both can exist in the same space as F-150, RAM 1500, and Silverado/Sierra 1500 have done for many, many years. Rivian isn't going anywhere.
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
That's not at all what I said lol. CT is vaperware until it ships and once it does in 2034 we'll be on the R2 platform. Even still, I don't see how CT and Rivian are in the same league, just as I don't see the Rivian and Hummer EV in the same league. And also, they both can exist in the same space as F-150, RAM 1500, and Silverado/Sierra 1500 have done for many, many years. Rivian isn't going anywhere.
This screams denial. CT will be in production by end of year. Following that, half the Rivian orders will cancel and those who donā€™t, will lose a ton in resale value. Iā€™m not a Elon hugger but there has been a lot of work done last year to the factory to produce this. When it arrives, no matter how ugly, it will crush the competition. Sure, the square states will resist but they hardly move the needle in total EV adoption anyway.

I want Rivian to be successful but if they donā€™t pivot to secure contracts such as they have done with Amazon, they will be in significant trouble within only a few years. If that happens, Rivian will be a $100k paperweight.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Thatā€™s an apple to orange comparison, the Y and Rivian arenā€™t remotely in the same category (luxury SUV vs budget compact SUV). That may be fine to a lot of people, but the quality difference is very evident. I donā€™t blame you though, the Y is a very nice car still.
Theyā€™re both domestic three row, ev, suvs, with +300mi range, awd, frunks, buttonless Ui, vinyl seats, and glass roofs. One has a refined Ui, advanced adas, and extensive charging and service network and the other is 12ā€ longer with adjustable ride height and a faster 0-60. Most people will never take either on anything tougher than a dirt road. If one is worth $45k more is up for debate but they have far more in common than not. You may not think theyā€™re comparable but outside of enthusiast forums, these vehicles are absolutely getting cross shopped.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This screams denial. CT will be in production by end of year. Following that, half the Rivian orders will cancel and those who donā€™t, will lose a ton in resale value.
How can you remotely state that when you don't even know how much it's going to even cost? Is it going to start at 40K? 80K? 120K? No one knows, so making arrogant claims that it's going to "crush the competition" when the only thing we know about it is what Elon has stated (and he's not in any way a pathological liar) isn't productive.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Don't be silly. The Gigapress is getting setup and they will start producing them this year. I expect this year will be a small amount, something like around 10k units. Next year they will ramp up to 50-100k units.

Since Tesla has dropped pricing on most of their lineup I am now thinking that the Cybertruck will come in closer to the original pricing. Prices will still be a bit higher as they will offer a quad motor version and 4-wheel steering is supposed to be standard as well. Tesla could easily undercut Rivian on pricing. Now the Cybertruck is a love or hate kind of thing due to its design, it is what it is.

Hate Elon all you want for is way-overly-optimistic-timelines that he is known for, in the end he and Tesla delivers. I had FSD beta in my M3 and it is by far exceptional. Was it perfect every drive, no. It is years ahead of every other autonomous software out there. Could I let the car drive me from my house to a destination, through a city and highway, without intervening - yes on a few occasions. Did I have to intervene every so often on some drives - yeah it happens.

I cannot tell you how many roads I cannot engage Driver+ on or when there are poor markings it shuts off. I never had that problem in my M3 even when I was just using Enhanced Autopilot in the early days.

Sponsored

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, we do 0 offroading so it fits our use case perfect. We go on road trips every other week of ~500 miles with our dogs and I'd much prefer them in the back of an SUV vs in the bed of a truck. I've only got 2 kids at the moment so I don't need the 3rd row. So for us in our use case, they are similar. I know the Rivian is going to be much nicer, no question. But again, ~45K nicer? I can't see how given I'll also have access to Tesla's supercharging network and won't have to deal with EA when going on our trips. I've never considered a Tesla and honestly never wanted one, but with that much of a price difference it's hard to compete with it for us
Sounds like a perfect fit then, enjoy it!

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Theyā€™re both domestic three row, ev, suvs, with +300mi range, awd, frunks, buttonless Ui, vinyl seats, and glass roofs. One has a refined Ui, advanced adas, and extensive charging and service network and the other is 12ā€ longer with adjustable ride height and a faster 0-60. Most people will never take either on anything tougher than a dirt road. If one is worth $45k more is up for debate but they have far more in common than not. You may not think theyā€™re comparable but outside of enthusiast forums, these vehicles are absolutely getting cross shopped.
Genesis G70 and Mercedes S Class are both sedans, turbo 6 cylinders, RWD, trunks, touchscreens, leather(ish) seats. One is 20" longer with adjustable ride height and has a faster 0-60. Do you see where I'm going with this? Because it's very relevant.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Genesis G70 and Mercedes S Class are both sedans, turbo 6 cylinders, RWD, trunks, touchscreens, leather(ish) seats. One is 20" longer with adjustable ride height and has a faster 0-60. Do you see where I'm going with this? Because it's very relevant.
A spare 45k would buy a lightly used, kitted out jeep that would be useful for the half dozen times per year you travel off the pavement. Iā€™ve said in other threads, this just isnā€™t a great vehicle for serious off roading. Weight alone is an issue, lack of lockers, small parts (tie rods). Itā€™s good for some fire roads but so is a Chevy Colorado.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
There will be plenty of people who wonā€™t buy the CT. Maybe they thinks itā€™s ugly, or want their vehicle to have a color, or donā€™t like the interior, or donā€™t like the drive, canā€™t park it in their garage, canā€™t park it, donā€™t like Elon, donā€™t want to be ā€œthat guyā€, etc.

To think the CT will destroy all competition is ridiculous.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I think competition is great. The CT will require Rivian to keep innovating. The looks of the CT are very polarizing and itā€™s a massive truck I think 16 inches longer than the Rivian so not a identical market, cross shoppers sure, but appeal for Rivian and CT are a bit different. I donā€™t think CT coming out will the the ruin of Rivian, but they will need to have the R2 platform around the corner or more competitive pricing / options to compete with the flood of new EV trucks coming out in 2024-2025.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hum, yeah... My R1T is capable in a number of ways, but it certainly is not a "serious off-roader". In fact, it is somewhat handicapped on the road. It snowed here yesterday, and I took the wife's model Y over the pass because it is actually a heck of a lot better on snow and ice than the R1T is.

Does that mean my truck is for sale? Hell no. But a serious off-roader? No. That would be my highly modified TJ.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m not sure why people would be cross shopping them unless they just have a really loose set of requirements. It is not where they are similar but where they differ that puts them in different categories. If the things you listed above are the list of requirements it would be silly to cross shop them. You have a smaller cheaper vehicle that is more efficient that decision should be a no brainer.

In my case, the Model Y or even the Model X will not work. We travel 1 or 2 times a month with 2 medium sized dogs, the sloped roofs simply is not enough room in the back for them. We occasionally tow and neither Tesla Y or X meets that requirement. Iā€™ve been looking for an EV replacement for my Jeep GC since I purchased my Model S and there just is not a suitable replacement for my requirements currently out there. With the Jeep GC having an average annual sales of 220k vehicles, I think there will be plenty of consumers like me migrating over to the R1S.

There are over 15 million vehicles a year sold in the US, there is more than enough market share for multiple companies to compete for. There is no company that could supply the entire market and the competition is what keeps the innovation high and the cost relatively low.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The Y is a great car, but it doesnā€™t have anywhere near the capability of a Rivian. If your use case is trips to the store and work, the Y is a great option. If you have any aspirations of venturing out on anything above a relatively smooth fire access road or tow anything significant, the Y is going to stumble there.
What if you already have an R1T and major use cases for your secondary vehicle are grocery store, commute on highways, and occasional road trips on roads with minimal offroading? The R1T being the good off roader for big trips with bikes or major off roading planned.

Even with pre March 1 pricing, it's still a $24k savings between Model Y and R1S. It's incredibly tempting to get a Y right now. I hate them for doing this.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

No. Both because youā€™ve got your facts wrong and youā€™ve changed the comparison criteria. One is an awd limo from Germany and the other is a compact sports sedan from Korea. But they both have four wheels so they must be comparable, right? Donā€™t be silly. There are only five three row evs available today. Of course Rivians are going to be cross shopped with Teslas. There just arenā€™t many choices if you want an suv ev. The price gap between the Y and R1S is only so wide now because of how aggressive Tesla has gotten with pricing and the new msrp caps on the rebate. Like I said, the Y and the R1S have more in common than not (range, # of seats, drivetrain, interface, and lack of full size spare tire for off road Ing šŸ˜‰) The more important question for us Rivian investors and enthusiasts is not if they will be compared with Tesla (they are as posters here have proved) but if customers will really perceive $45k in value having an R1S over a Y (I hope so.) Itā€™s a good thing for Rivian that the X still anchors a higher price. Itā€™s a niche product though that only sells a few thousand units a year. Rivian will need to sell a lot more R1Ss than ModelXs if they want to stay out of bankruptcy.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

What if you already have an R1T and major use cases for your secondary vehicle are grocery store, commute on highways, and occasional road trips on roads with minimal offroading? The R1T being the good off roader for big trips with bikes or major off roading planned.

Even with pre March 1 pricing, it's still a $24k savings between Model Y and R1S. It's incredibly tempting to get a Y right now. I hate them for doing this.
Yeah I mean we love ours, especially for road-trips. I think that even though the R1T is the fun/shiny new toy, weā€™d still use the Y for road-trips. I told most folks who were interested in the Y to not pay 60k+ for it because itā€™s just not a great value at that price, but with the current pricing I would have no issue recommending it (and have).
Sponsored