Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Saw on Reddit… imagine taking delivery yesterday. You missed out on the end-of-2022 incentive directly from Tesla ($7500 off + 10k supercharger miles), paid the inflated price, and didn’t qualify for the tax credit, all by one day. No doubt it happened to someone.
Can’t they return in that case? I guess there is 7 day and 1k mile return option
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Can’t they return in that case? I guess there is 7 day and 1k mile return option
That’s Rivian’s return policy. I don’t think Tesla has one now. They have a grace period for any quality issues post-delivery, but I think that’s all — no returns (unless your state legally requires the option)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There is usually a 2-3 day period in many states where you can return the car!
Depends on where you live. In California there is a 2 day policy for used cars but there is no return policy for a new car. A company like Rivian can provide for a return policy but unless they do once you buy it it is yours.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Nice you can get an S dual motor AWD for $95K.

This Tesla price slashing going to have some people depart the Rivian train.
How many people who need a truck or SUV are cross-shopping sedans?

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Glad I sold my M3 in June when I got my Rivian.

I wonder if the price will go back up when they refresh the cars later this year - and after March 31?

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
How many people who need a truck or SUV are cross-shopping sedans?
RJ said 80% of R1T reservation holders have never owned a truck. Would assume those folks are cross shopping.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Shocked 😮. I’d heard them doing these massive price reductions in China to compete with BYD and other less expensive Chinese BEV’s. Can’t believe they are doing this in the US market as well.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Glad I sold the Y back in November before getting the R1T. I expect further price cuts on the S and X like they did back in 2018-2019.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

WOW, that is a HUGE price cut!

Feel bad for all the existing owners that just had the value of their existing cars slashed.

Tesla's pricing got out of whack. It did back around 2017/2018 as well. At one point, a fully optioned Model S was around $170,000. Then they slashed prices.

They priced me out of a Tesla at that time. Then in 2019, they were begging people to buy cars and slashed prices. That's when I bought my Model S for $79,000. Sold it three years and 36,000 miles later for over $80,000! Couldn't have done better on timing. Tesla jacked up the pricing again "because they could". To duplicate my prior car was now over $120,000. Now it's all turning around. And for the first time, there are actually viable competitors to Tesla. They're entering a whole new world they haven't experienced before. They're finally going to have to think about customer service again, be competitive in pricing and product and lose the "our way or the highway" attitude or "don't like it, tough". One of the reasons I was done with them. Their heads got too big.

The yoke steering wheel was one example where they told people, don't like it, don't buy it. They had more orders than they could produce and didn't give a crap. Very short minded thinking. Now, the full wheel is offered. Pricing for the FSD option will come down from the ridiculously low price of $15,000!

Sadly, saw Rivian using a little too much of Tesla's playbook, having a similar attitude in some respects. Tesla built up to it over 10 years. Rivian, in some areas, has tried to skip the white glove service, following in Tesla's footsteps a little too closely.

Great for the consumer that things are finally shifting back around. I've always appreciated GM for thinking long term. They could have charged more for the Corvette or the Lyriq, but chose to maintain reasonable price points so existing loyal customers could afford them, rather than just focusing on the short term group of buyers that were willing to pay stupid pricing.

Hopefully the days have having to decide what type of car you want three years in advance will come to an end and pricing will become more reasonable across the board.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
WOW, that is a HUGE price cut!

Feel bad for all the existing owners that just had the value of their existing cars slashed.

Tesla's pricing got out of whack. It did back around 2017/2018 as well. At one point, a fully optioned Model S was around $170,000. Then they slashed prices.

They priced me out of a Tesla at that time. Then in 2019, they were begging people to buy cars and slashed prices. That's when I bought my Model S for $79,000. Sold it three years and 36,000 miles later for over $80,000! Couldn't have done better on timing. Tesla jacked up the pricing again "because they could". To duplicate my prior car was now over $120,000. Now it's all turning around. And for the first time, there are actually viable competitors to Tesla. They're entering a whole new world they haven't experienced before. They're finally going to have to think about customer service again, be competitive in pricing and product and lose the "our way or the highway" attitude or "don't like it, tough". One of the reasons I was done with them. Their heads got too big.

The yoke steering wheel was one example where they told people, don't like it, don't buy it. They had more orders than they could produce and didn't give a crap. Very short minded thinking. Now, the full wheel is offered. Pricing for the FSD option will come down from the ridiculously low price of $15,000!

Sadly, saw Rivian using a little too much of Tesla's playbook, having a similar attitude in some respects. Tesla built up to it over 10 years. Rivian, in some areas, has tried to skip the white glove service, following in Tesla's footsteps a little too closely.

Great for the consumer that things are finally shifting back around. I've always appreciated GM for thinking long term. They could have charged more for the Corvette or the Lyriq, but chose to maintain reasonable price points so existing loyal customers could afford them, rather than just focusing on the short term group of buyers that were willing to pay stupid pricing.

Hopefully the days have having to decide what type of car you want three years in advance will come to an end and pricing will become more reasonable across the board.
I agree with everything you said, except the parts where "Rivian using a little too much of Tesla's playbook," and "they could have charged more for the Corvette or the Lyriq". RJ admitted mistake and tried to correct it where as Elon could care less. And GM knows better. ;):D

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Wow picking up a new Y right now is tempting.