Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Hi all,
I've been a Tesla owner, shareholder and fan since I picked up my Model S85 (#6006) in early March 2013. Had an X, 3 and Y since then, and still have my 2016 X P90D (#661) and Model Y. I run an annual fundraising Tesla raffle for a Boston-based climate nonprofit, Climate XChange. This year is our 7th year, and sales have been slow. We fixed some technical issues, but they were still slow. Then we got feedback that some past and potential ticket buyers aren't that excited about winning a Tesla, given Elon Musk's recent behavior. So I looked at alternatives, and we made a deposit and added the R1S as an extra grand prize option for those not interested in a Tesla!

Funny thing is, in doing the research, I started getting excited about not just the R1S and the company, but also this forum. The feeling of shared excitement and community here on Rivianforums reminds me of the many hours I spent on Tesla Motors Club from 2012 through 2017 or so, until the community feeling diminished as the membership size grew dramatically with the introduction of the Model 3. I love my 6.5 year old Titanium Model X, but the extended warranty will run out at 8 years. I haven't had any repair issues for years other than some collision work, but the maximum range started at 250 miles and now is less. Despite the fact that it has free supercharging for life, I find myself thinking about replacing it with a Forest Green R1S when the warranty runs out.

Am I crazy?
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... IMG_7728
Sponsored

Last edited:

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Welcome!

I sold my 2015 S70D with free supercharging. It's a super fun car to drive, but not comfortable enough for long road trips. It's not so great in Seattle either, with so many potholes and so many parking curbs that are too tall for the model S nose. I also got rim rash nearly every time I parallel parked at a curb. I've been much happier with my R1T.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Welcome! We are a squirrelly bunch of Rivian fans here. We fuss and fight and speculate over almost everything but itā€™s a great group of people. Iā€™ve attached some photos from past Rivianforums family get togethers. Iā€™ll let you guess whoā€™s who after you get to know us a little better ;)

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1669235096994

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1669235117213

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1669235139990

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1669235168834

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1669235194213

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1669235217967

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1669235245089

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Welcome! We are a squirrelly bunch of Rivian fans here. We fuss and fight and speculate over almost everything but itā€™s a great group of people. Iā€™ve attached some photos from past Rivianforums family get togethers. Iā€™ll let you guess whoā€™s who after you get to know us a little better ;)

1669235096994.jpeg

1669235117213.jpeg

1669235139990.jpeg

1669235168834.jpeg

1669235194213.jpeg

1669235217967.jpeg

1669235245089.jpeg

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel

1669235139990.jpeg
of all the pictures, this has to be the most awkward. Guess Dad really wanted to rank everyone by order of portion size at dinner.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PeterSK

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

of all the pictures, this has to be the most awkward. Guess Dad really wanted to rank everyone by order of portion size at dinner.
Yeah that one is probably the creepiest. @COdogman has a strange archive...

On another note, for past Tesla raffles we've held some photo shoots (the photo of my X above was from one of them) but also asked people with nice "beauty shots" of their new Teslas posted on TMC, Facebook and Reddit forums if they would allow us to use them for marketing - in ads, Facebook/Instagram posts, etc. Any thoughts as to the best R1S shots posted here that we might get permission to use? Thanks in advance - there's a lot of content to sift through!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Welcome @PeterSK...

We have a pretty decent bunch of "regulars" round here. Just like TMC, there are some fanbois that give Rivian a pass at almost everything, but unlike TMC, you can at least express your honest opinion without having to look over your shoulder for avenging forum ninjas next time you walk out of your house because you dared to criticize Tesla or EM.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Welcome to the forum. Hereā€™s a couple of musings:

If you want a Rivian when your warranty expires, get in line now as your warranty will expire sOOn.

As for Tesla, one of my friends said the other day (right before he picked up his second 3 on a lease), ā€œI guess all the cool kids arenā€™t buying Teslas any more.ā€™ (Backstory is we had one friend who got a Mach-e, and another couple witha Lightening).

I think Tesla has had a good run while they have been the only game in town. Now that thereā€™s competition, they will be surpassedā€¦especially with Elon getting distracted with his new toy.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
LOL It has kind of a George Orwell 1984 energy doesnā€™t it?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yeah that one is probably the creepiest. @COdogman has a strange archive...

On another note, for past Tesla raffles we've held some photo shoots (the photo of my X above was from one of them) but also asked people with nice "beauty shots" of their new Teslas posted on TMC, Facebook and Reddit forums if they would allow us to use them for marketing - in ads, Facebook/Instagram posts, etc. Any thoughts as to the best R1S shots posted here that we might get permission to use? Thanks in advance - there's a lot of content to sift through!
I bet if you find some photos you like and message those folks they would be happy to share. There are some really skilled photographers around here too. If you use the search function there is a thread already started for each color. They should be titled ā€œGlacier White R1S Club & Photosā€, and just change the color name for each oneā€¦ There are a bunch more photos of R1Ts but only because they were delivered earlier than the SUVā€¦

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Welcome! We are a squirrelly bunch of Rivian fans here....

1669235194213.jpeg
I can't believe you found that old picture of me! I haven't worn overalls in decades.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I can't believe you found that old picture of me! I haven't worn overalls in decades.
That kid is going to wrinkle your nicely ironed flannel shirt the way heā€™s restraining you. :confused:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've participated in your raffle in the past, but can't in good conscience support anyone who buys a vehicle from Tesla anymore.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Tesla hasnā€™t offered a new product in 3-years. The 2023 Cybertruck will be the shot in the arm that Tesla desperately needs. Elonā€˜s behavior isnā€˜t helping things. The stock has taken a beating as well.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I couldn't personally care less about Elon or whatever and I've never driven a Tesla but I'm pretty impressed with my R1T and with Rivian in general. I don't keep complicated vehicles beyond their warranty periods because fixing broken cars simply isn't worth it to me personally. So I would get something different and the comparable Tesla to my R1, assuming I was in the market for an SUV, is 150K.

Sure the plaid X is faster, but the difference between low 3 second 0-60's and high 2 second ones isn't real great but between low 3's and 4.5 is big.
Sponsored