James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

After using a Tesla SC and charging with their cables, I can say going to the other end to use those CCS cables terrifies me. The Tesla SC cables are no larger or heavier than the L2 Charging cable I have in my garage.

What type of magic or voodoo Tesla does to get those cables slim and the charger so small, CCS needs to adapt to it.
We have a Tesla Model 3, 2020, and have charged at the Super Chargers and level 2, at two National Parks, as well as at home. Have never had any issues with any of their cables or with charging apparatus. Yes, they should be the model for US chargers.
Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Sure would be nice not to have the ugly oversized ccs connectors on everything for the next 10 years. It's embarrassing how bad the design looks compared to the Tesla plug. Like a bunch of rookies designed it.

diz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What do you all think? Will Rivian make some sort of statement about this or just remain quiet? Possibly have photo op at one of the new RAN chargers? Place your bets…

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
What do you all think? Will Rivian make some sort of statement about this or just remain quiet? Possibly have photo op at one of the new RAN chargers? Place your bets…
I think people are getting ahead of themselves. This is like Apple opening up their lightning connector. Not going to be the standard. Abs now Apple is being forced to use usb c in Europe. If any car company wants to sell in Europe then they will stay with CCS. Only elon is stubborn enough to make cars with different charger ports.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

WylieD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4 hybrid, Honda Insight hybrid
With the billions in debt acquired with Twitter's purchase, and given how that's turning out, Musk soon may feel a powerful incentive for a new revenue stream. Accommodating CCS is the only way that will happen in time to help.

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is exactly why I prefer the CCS method. I don't like the way Tesla exposes the OBC to the external HVDC. I think it's bad engineering.
Is it too much trouble to spell things out for those of us not in the know? This is an unintelligible sentence to me.

This is not a jab at @Dark-Fx. It is for everyone.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/deliver...-Charging-Standard-AC-DC-Pin-Sharing-Appendix
Blue square is mine. This is the Tesla port. Tesla uses the same ones for DC as they do for AC.

With the CCS port, these are separate pins on the connector for AC.

OBC is On-Board Charger.

1668452706535.png
To rephrase what I think I saw Tesla noted on this is that, one of the potential problems it raises is that the On-board charger needs to be able to handle the DCFC voltage as an input, right? It also potentially increases the cost of a car.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

To rephrase what I think I saw Tesla noted on this is that, one of the potential problems it raises is that the On-board charger needs to be able to handle the DCFC voltage as an input, right? It also potentially increases the cost of a car.
Withstand voltage. It's basically just passively blocking the input from the internal components of the charger. I'm not sure of the exact implementation involved, but it also means the wiring to the charger and such needs to be electrically insulated for 1kV instead of what would typically be much less. Cost of the connector being less than CCS is probably intentionally confounding the overall cost of the entire charging system.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
This should have been done 10 years ago, however, since Elon is a massive egotistical tool that wasn't the case. Implementing the NACS plug would be really easy for all future builds and wouldn't require all that much work since the onboard charger and the BMS are what actually handles the charging. The cars don't care what kind of plug they are hooked up to, at the end of the day electrons are electrons.

Governing bodies just need to make the commitment and Tesla needs to release a NACS - CCS adaptor yesterday. An adaptor would eliminate all growing pains and would allow current CCS chargers to install an NACS plug on preexisting chargers. Once the adaptor is available the Ford, Chevy, Rivian, Nissan's, etc of the world can work on the communication layer for plug, pay, and charge.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
This is one of the best threads ever. Personally if I had a choice, I would prefer the "Tesla" EV connector format. Those big CCS chargers are heavy (I've tried them at EA just out of curiosity, and I'm not a small person) more so when the weather is cold.
On a side note, as an Aptera reservation holder (yes....I know, I'm a sucker) I welcomed the news of them using this technology.
Only time will tell.

Kieran

First Name
Kieran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S75, 2007 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Engineer
Ahh, you have to love debates over standards.

I remember...

HD DVD or BluRay. I thought HD DVD would survive...
Minidisc vs CD? My bet was on a MD player...still have one.
Anyone want to buy a Zune?
How about a blackberry?

So here's my obviously important opinion. I think the Tesla standard survives as long as they open their network to anyone who uses their plug. As a manufacturer, it may cost me to redesign (or launch an adapter) but I'd rather give a positive customer experience on the Tesla network than the crappy network that is EA.
I'm a Betamax zealot myself. I will still debate Beta vs. VHS any day. VHS sucked. :)

Kieran

First Name
Kieran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S75, 2007 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla built a charging network that ONLY has to work with Tesla vehicles. It had better be reliable!
Just like Apple claiming they are more reliable than MS-based (or x86 Linux, BSD, etc.) computers. Well, duh!
Sponsored