First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN

But look how great that camera resolution is!. And it probably has a couple extra cupholders somewhere. Priorities you know. This hatchback really isn't a competitor in the same category as the R1S/T. But seriously, if this guy was just out there to film a snow video, he is an idiot. The real secret to doing well in the snow is to not do it in these kind of conditions unless you have a valid reason to be out there. Snow tires and chains would help considerably. Having the common sense to avoid these conditions without a better reason than a YT video, experience, and a vehicle to handle them helps even more.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've slid down similar hills in my 4wd pickup with all seasons. Next year I had snow tires on my vehicle.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
When he ended up early on in that driveway/street end, he should have left it there. After that, he’s basically saying he wants to damage his car and potentially injure himself.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This appears to be in Seattle. Most people there are totally ill equipped for winter driving. This is much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I have learned that engine breaking down a snowy hill works best

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Would have been the same result in an R1T. Ice + all seasons + hill + bad driver = no car saving you.

I've seen plenty of Teslas blasting around on Winter tires during the snowstorm without any problems.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
One word----------studs.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This appears to be in Seattle. Most people there are totally ill equipped for winter driving. This is much ado about nothing.
Yeah, definitely the Puget Sound area. There seems to be a lot of local Tesla owners that seem to think their all seasons are capable of going through anything, and a small group that thinks it's a-ok to run the summer performance tires in the winter. ?‍♂

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Would have been the same result in an R1T. Ice + all seasons + hill + bad driver = no car saving you.

I've seen plenty of Teslas blasting around on Winter tires during the snowstorm without any problems.
Exactly. People who live in snowy conditions should look into better tires. Tires make all the difference. An "all season" is a jack of all trades, master of none. Yes, it is better than nothing but if you get a lot of snow/ice, then you'll want a dedicated snow/winter tire.

Good snow tires on a FWD car is going to out perform a 4x4/AWD on normal tires any day of the week.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah, definitely the Puget Sound area. There seems to be a lot of local Tesla owners that seem to think their all seasons are capable of going through anything, and a small group that thinks it's a-ok to run the summer performance tires in the winter. ?‍♂
Too many people forget or don't realize that 4 wheel drive isn't 4 wheel stop :D

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
But look how great that camera resolution is!. And it probably has a couple extra cupholders somewhere. Priorities you know. This hatchback really isn't a competitor in the same category as the R1S/T. But seriously, if this guy was just out there to film a snow video, he is an idiot. The real secret to doing well in the snow is to not do it in these kind of conditions unless you have a valid reason to be out there. Snow tires and chains would help considerably. Having the common sense to avoid these conditions without a better reason than a YT video, experience, and a vehicle to handle them helps even more.
Whoever recorded this video is a capital-D DUMBASS. The Model Y, and all Teslas really, but especially the X and the Y, are phenomenal for snow or winter driving. Now the tires Tesla includes on the Y, are complete throw-away garbage. The Eagle F1’s on the 20” Induction wheels will try to kill you as soon as they see snow. They’re bad. I’d rather drive on almost anything else. I mean like anything… They’re just about as bad on snow as racing slicks.

I drive over snowy roads like that all the time…. Actually worse here in the mountains.

Oh and as great as these cars are in the snow and on ice with proper tires, you still need to know how to drive in those conditions.

I’m running Pirelli Sottozero Winter tires on my Y and they’re excellent. Did a 160 mile round trip on Saturday evening up I-25 north of Denver through icy road conditions and -7°F temps. Had to charge on the way back due to loss of range in the cold. It’s a trip that I can make it on 75% or better charge to start without worry. But in those temps with winter tires, it would have been real close on a 90% charge to start…. I started out at about 80% and looked like I was going to fall about 20 miles short, so I stopped for a bit..

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
One word----------studs.
Not allowed in many states. (Including Illinois and Michigan)

As others have mentioned, 4x4 does not mean good traction and control in all conditions and braking is severely diminished in slick conditions. One of the biggest issues is people not knowing how to properly drive in incelement weather and running into trouble. In many areas, where the snow doesn't stick around long, the best solution is to stay put.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
While I agree that this is 100% the tires, I do think Tesla deserves some of the blame - especially if this driver has the Performance version of the Y and it is new-ish.

Tesla delivers their Performance cars with summer tires - even in the winter. While they list winter tires on their website, it is out of stock most of the time (it is out of stock right now). And even when they have the winter tires in stock they will not install them pre-delivery.

It should be illegal to deliver a car on summer tires when it is below the safe operating temperature for driving on those summer tires.
Sponsored

Last edited: