Sponsored

Tesla may start launching CCS based superchargers in North America

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
CCS connectors only? CCS protocols? Some sort of mix of CCS and Tesla connectors? Tesla connectors with some sort of integrated adaptor solution? Sorry, still lots of questions about what it will look like in practice.

As I've said before, I suspect Tesla will eventually move entirely over to CCS on both sides, superchargers and the cars themselves. I think it's a few years away, but I think it happens.
It was casual conversation and rumor, but at least a male CCS wire without an adapter. I don't know if that also means proprietary Tesla male wire (I would imagine so) but NO ADAPTER at some point.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It was casual conversation and rumor, but at least a male CCS wire without an adapter. I don't know if that also means proprietary Tesla male wire (I would imagine so) but NO ADAPTER at some point.
Sorry, I wasn't necessarily expecting you to have the answers to all of those! Mostly just me thinking through my fingers. :)

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
As I've said before, I suspect Tesla will eventually move entirely over to CCS on both sides, superchargers and the cars themselves. I think it's a few years away, but I think it happens.
Why's that? I don't see it unless regulation or significant monetary benefit forces their hand. NACS is the superior connector. Tesla messed up by not making it a free and open standard in 2012.

Timdb82

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LG/FE, Lightning Lariat ER, 2011 Tundra TRD
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Even after the latest price drop from Tesla, the only thing I find enticing is their charge network. That being said best thing they could do is licence a NACS to CCS adaptor - don't bother changing their chargers; they're the only ones who've figured out how to build some that last more than a couple years. They can embed plug and charge into their adaptors also so it's nice and easy for non Tesla owners as well.

I'm also beginning to wonder if they're concerned about Cyber Trucks clogging their chargers - it would be super smart of them to build the Cyber Truck with CCS and include a NACS to CCS adaptor with them....... but then that would be them starting to show that maybe NACS isn't the future.

I do really like the packaging of the NACS though!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why's that? I don't see it unless regulation or significant monetary benefit forces their hand. NACS is the superior connector. Tesla messed up by not making it a free and open standard in 2012.
Because customers will eventually want to have access to all of the J1772 and CCS chargers without having to deal with adapters and because it will be cheaper for Tesla to install Superchargers with only one plug type.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
CCS connectors only? CCS protocols? Some sort of mix of CCS and Tesla connectors? Tesla connectors with some sort of integrated adaptor solution? Sorry, still lots of questions about what it will look like in practice.

Have you seen the "magic dock" design? Pretty interesting, the Tesla connector plugs into the adapter and the latter is locked in the charging station. A Tesla owner removes the Tesla connector, leaves the CCS locked in, a CCS vehicle owner unlocks the adapter and cable all together.

There's some speculation about how it would lock/prevent theft, etc., but a neat idea.

Also assuming if it's a CCS compliant charger (NACS), you can just BYOA :D

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you seen the "magic dock" design? Pretty interesting, the Tesla connector plugs into the adapter and the latter is locked in the charging station. A Tesla owner removes the Tesla connector, leaves the CCS locked in, a CCS vehicle owner unlocks the adapter and cable all together.

There's some speculation about how it would lock/prevent theft, etc., but a neat idea.

Also assuming if it's a CCS compliant charger (NACS), you can just BYOA :D
I had seen the picture, but until we see what the actual dock and connector look like, I'm not sure what to really make of it. Also, as others have pointed out, that cable still looks awfully short and could be a huge problem for cars, like Rivians, that have the charge port on the front left.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
I had seen the picture, but until we see what the actual dock and connector look like, I'm not sure what to really make of it. Also, as others have pointed out, that cable still looks awfully short and could be a huge problem for cars, like Rivians, that have the charge port on the front left.
The cable is short for a Tesla sometimes! I've had to move back after parking pretty tight more than once. Yeah, the cable length/management is going to be tricky.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

NACS officially uses the same protocol that CCS uses. Which is not the same protocol that Tesla uses. I'd really be interested to know why they decided to do that, besides the fact that CCS is clearly the superior signaling protocol. Fight me Teslastans.

The cable is short for a Tesla sometimes! I've had to move back after parking pretty tight more than once. Yeah, the cables length/management is going to be tricky.
Any vehicle that charges from the rear quarters complicates having something additional. Trailer, bike carrier, just an extra long load in the bed of a truck, etc. It's the worse option vs something in the front quarter because of that.