First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Per https://wolfstreet.com/2020/08/10/t...-renault-hyundai-group-it-woke-up-the-giants/ it seems Tesla's dominance is taking a beating as consumers discover other manufacturers can make an EV too if they set their mind to it, and quite likely of significantly higher quality.
This is why they are suing people like Rivian.

It's easy when you can't make the cars fast enough to supply the demand because you are the only player in the game. It lets you get away with things that real competition will not allow. Now Tesla has to adjust to real world competition by many capable alternatives and I don't think they were expecting this so early in the game.

One thing to try is to limit the competition through the courts.

This is where the experiences and nightmare stories about service and customer support will really take it's toll on them.

The double charging nightmare they are currently going through will not help their image.

Love their cars and really hope they sort this out soon but those sky high stock prices they have recently been enjoying are in jeopardy of a serious market correction.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Consistent QC and service, and interiors that match the cost of the EV matter. Musk got Tesla to where they are, but dude needs to learn to delegate. His blind spots are getting in the way, now that they aren't the only decent range/acceleration game in town and open access to DCFC through third parties is close to on par with the SC network.

I think their other issue is that their SUV offerings get less and less compelling with every new competitor. Can't put rails on either, and the shapes don't do cargo capacity any favors. The Y doesn't look great at every angle and it's interior isn't very competitive at all. The X is for sure neato, but it adds way too much cost with those doors and excess motorization of everything. I was a lot surprised to see the X refresh didn't lose the doors or at least get a vanilla door option.

I know Fisker confidence in this forum isn't that high but I think the Ocean is going to devour Model Y sales. If smaller size wasn't a preference, I think the R1S makes a strong argument against a performance Y and it's no-contest against an X. And that's not even mentioning the horde of EV SUVs coming from the legacy manufacturers. SUVs are a critical space. Tesla needs to take their offerings more seriously.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I don't follow Tesla that closely, but do they still have that large tent structure just outside of the factory to allow production line errors to be adjusted? Someone here quipped the other day that they wouldn't want a Tesla if it had been produced at the end of a fiscal period. I'd like to think they worked out any line problems they had, but I still hear of recent concerns about panel gaps, paint, and trim.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Had 2 Teslas, were great cars overall but both had TONS of little quality issues, and a couple big issues too - motor failures, leaks, creaks, etc. Heck on our brand new X, driving away from delivery, the driver's seat came unbolted because it was only held in by a single lose bolt (instead of like 8) and it went into service immediately for 2 weeks at that point as they had to order a new seat (which they didn't have easily, etc.).

Horrible ownership experiences compared to our ICE cars, but loved the tech of the cars. Now that there is competition, nice to have choice!

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Old car finally gave up the ghost, so we replaced it with a model Y. We have had it for three weeks and put on almost 800 miles. This car is a blast. As more EVs are released Tesla will lose marketshare simply due to math. Whether they lose some due to failed competitiveness has yet to be seen. Let’s hope other car companies learn from Tesla’s lessons and make Tesla earn their keep because then we all win.

*Sidenote: we buy cars to drive them, not look at them. So as long as they aren’t terrible (looking at you PT Cruiser), and have what we need, we are good.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
So if Tesla is losing market share, how is Rivian going to compete? I plan to own this truck for at least 10 years. I need them to be around to keep the thing running.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
So if Tesla is losing market share, how is Rivian going to compete? I plan to own this truck for at least 10 years. I need them to be around to keep the thing running.
They are losing market share because they went from being the only option for many folks who needed specific things to being one of a few. They aren’t going away, just facing actual competition.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I don't follow Tesla that closely, but do they still have that large tent structure just outside of the factory to allow production line errors to be adjusted? Someone here quipped the other day that they wouldn't want a Tesla if it had been produced at the end of a fiscal period. I'd like to think they worked out any line problems they had, but I still hear of recent concerns about panel gaps, paint, and trim.
That was probably me. The Model Y launch was actually pretty smooth. It was at the end of the next two quarters they had a rash of QC problems with Y production. When they rush cars out, QC is the first corner they cut.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

They sell every car they make months before they make it and are increasing manufacturing capacity all the time. They are fine. I am far far from a Tesla fan boy but headlines like this are trying to stir something up where there is nothing. EV demand is increasing and they can’t meet it all on their own

fergie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 4Runner, 22 Kia EV6
They sell every car they make months before they make it and are increasing manufacturing capacity all the time. They are fine. I am far far from a Tesla fan boy but headlines like this are trying to stir something up where there is nothing. EV demand is increasing and they can’t meet it all on their own
I agree, losing market share doesn't mean not selling more cars. With the EV market going from small to large in Europe, losing market share was inevitable. The new German plant will help them as well.

I was really close to getting a Model Y this year, but when they started jacking up the price I started looking closer at the R1T as the price difference wasn't THAT much more and holds a lot more appeal to me. Especially as I'll be getting rid of my old F250 diesel.
Sponsored