Tesla launches a new home charger that works with all electric cars

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
https://electrek.co/2021/11/01/tesla-launches-new-home-charger-that-works-j1772-all-electric-cars/

Today, Tesla is launching a new home charger that comes with a J1772 plug, which works with all electric cars in North America – not just Tesla vehicles.

As of late, Tesla appears to be making a lot of moves to service electric vehicles beyond the ones that it makes itself.

We just reported earlier today that Tesla started to open the first Supercharger stations to electric vehicles produced by other automakers.

That’s a move that has been anticipated for a while, but now Tesla is doing something more surprising.

Today, the automaker launched a new Wall Connector, Tesla’s home charging station, but unlike its usual Wall Connector, it is equipped with a J1772 connector:

“Charge your electric vehicle at home with the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector, a convenient home charging solution for electric vehicle owners. Simply plug in overnight and charge while you sleep.
Providing up to 9.6 kW (40 amp) power output for a single vehicle, the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector includes a 24-foot (7.3 meter) cable length, multiple power settings and a versatile indoor/outdoor design.”
It’s the first time that Tesla is selling a charger without its own proprietary connector in North America.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla launches a new home charger that works with all electric cars 1050074-01-C_2

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla launches a new home charger that works with all electric cars Tesla-wall-connector-j1772-1
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla launches a new home charger that works with all electric cars 1050074-01-C_1

This charger is designed to mainly work with non-Tesla vehicles – though Tesla vehicles can still use it with an adapter.

Tesla still recommends Tesla vehicle owners to use the regular Tesla Wall Connector:

“For Tesla vehicle owners, we recommend a Wall Connector for the most seamless home charging experience. The J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector requires an adapter for Tesla vehicles.”

At $415, it’s also a relatively cheap level 2 charger, but it’s Tesla’s Gen 2 charger.

Unlike its latest Gen 3 charger, it doesn’t have Wifi connectivity.

Electrek’s Take
It’s not clear what Tesla’s goal is with this new product. There are already a lot of level 2 home charging options out there for non-Tesla EVs.

One thing I thought about is that Tesla might be producing those for its own Destination Charging network, which sometimes includes non-Tesla connectors.

Tesla has been installing chargers from other companies at some of those locations.

It would make sense to use its own charger with just a J1772 connector.
Sponsored

EVWatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CX-5, C7 Corvette, Silverado
Occupation
Retired
https://electrek.co/2021/11/01/tesla-launches-new-home-charger-that-works-j1772-all-electric-cars/

Today, Tesla is launching a new home charger that comes with a J1772 plug, which works with all electric cars in North America – not just Tesla vehicles.

As of late, Tesla appears to be making a lot of moves to service electric vehicles beyond the ones that it makes itself.

We just reported earlier today that Tesla started to open the first Supercharger stations to electric vehicles produced by other automakers.

That’s a move that has been anticipated for a while, but now Tesla is doing something more surprising.

Today, the automaker launched a new Wall Connector, Tesla’s home charging station, but unlike its usual Wall Connector, it is equipped with a J1772 connector:

It’s the first time that Tesla is selling a charger without its own proprietary connector in North America.

1050074-01-C_2.jpg

Tesla-wall-connector-j1772-1.jpg
1050074-01-C_1.jpg

This charger is designed to mainly work with non-Tesla vehicles – though Tesla vehicles can still use it with an adapter.

Tesla still recommends Tesla vehicle owners to use the regular Tesla Wall Connector:

“For Tesla vehicle owners, we recommend a Wall Connector for the most seamless home charging experience. The J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector requires an adapter for Tesla vehicles.”

At $415, it’s also a relatively cheap level 2 charger, but it’s Tesla’s Gen 2 charger.

Unlike its latest Gen 3 charger, it doesn’t have Wifi connectivity.

Electrek’s Take
It’s not clear what Tesla’s goal is with this new product. There are already a lot of level 2 home charging options out there for non-Tesla EVs.

One thing I thought about is that Tesla might be producing those for its own Destination Charging network, which sometimes includes non-Tesla connectors.

Tesla has been installing chargers from other companies at some of those locations.

It would make sense to use its own charger with just a J1772 connector.
No charger required on this Mercedes AA Class

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I currently use a Gen 3 Tesla charger to charge my Audi e-tron GT. It is one of the cheapest 48Amp 11kw chargers on the market.

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

I'll probably order one. I'll want to upgrade when the two way chargers become available, so a cheaper one is nice until that becomes reality

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I have not looked at the specs on this new unit. If this is a Gen 2 Tesla charger, as others are saying, it should allow installation on up to a 100A circuit for charging up to 80A. That is one benefit of the 1st and 2nd generation Tesla chargers vs. the current Gen 3. Gen 2 also allows for up to 5 of them to be installed on the same circuit and they load balance and communicate with a secondary comm wire. That is unique to Gen 2 and also why Tesla still sells the Gen 2 HPWC through their commercial sales -- it's still their solution for level-2 destination charger installations.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Heck yes! As @Monkey states you can do load balancing with this unit which is exactly what I want to do. I currently have a Gen2 Tesla wall connector for my Model 3 so to do the load balance I would have to buy another Gen2 on ebay or else purchase 2 new Gen3 wall connectors and an adapter for J1772. This makes me happy.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I would like to see an official Tesla to J1772 adapter released instead. This would allow use of Wall Connectors while retaining the Tesla connector on the charger. There are 3rd party solutions, but they are pretty pricy.
Sponsored