Sponsored

Tesla J1772 “Black” Charger - reviews / experiences?

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Correct, there is no app. You login to the panel directly through your browser. From there you can really only control circuit setup, power sharing, access control. There is no reporting on rates AFAIK.

I schedule charging for the Rivian through the truck/RIvian app. My wife has a Model Y and through the Tesla app we're able to see a little more data about charging and rates.
Appreciate the info! I'm excited to get my R1T in a week (as well as the charger installed) so I'm trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row ahead of time.
Sponsored

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
Appreciate the info! I'm excited to get my R1T in a week (as well as the charger installed) so I'm trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row ahead of time.
It has been rock solid for us so far. If it's the only car charging (we have two cars sharing a circuit) I usually get about 22 miles/hour on the 60a circuit outputting 48a. The power sharing between our two wall chargers has been flawless.

I imagine you have to change the access control to "All Vehicles" unless it's configured that way by default since it is a J1772 charger.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
I installed 2 tesla chargers in my garage. One J1172 and one with NACS/Tesla connector.

once installed the charge should put out a wifi signal, you sign into the wall connector wifi and password…. Scannable from the direction/instruction manual, then you sign in web (scannable QR code) in the manual. Should get you into the wall connector at which point you can link it up to your home wifi. It may do a software update. You can configure charge rate here if I remember correctly also set lead charger and load sharing configuration for multiply wall connectors. Pretty simple.

It will charge without configuring I believe and I believe factory is all EV’s allowed mine started at 5 lights once I flipped the breaker which meant 60 amp breaker was the factory configuration for mine. If not running on a 60 amp breaker you will need to adjust accordingly

One of my wall connectors is really far from my router so I did have to get wifi booster in the garage

don’t lose the quick start guide!!! It has the QR code for wifi and password and QR code for website. I believe the charger has the QR wifi and password but its location on the wall connector body makes it’s a pain to scan vs scanning the QuickStart guide.

basically this is everything You can see voltage and amps and some minor configuring. Pretty limited info and if you like to geek out on ev charging data this charger may disappoint but is rock solid no nonsense charger with a smaller diameter lighter cable then most EV chargers capable of this level of charging
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...en3_WallConnector_Commissioning_Procedure.pdf
Sponsored

Last edited: