Sponsored

Tesla home charger fault on first plug in (works on second attempt)

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Does anyone else have this issue with a tesla home charger?
I have the Lectron adapter and every time I plug it into my R1T it will click red and fault the first time. I then unplug it and plug it right back in and it works. Is anyone else having this issue? I do notice the Lectron adapter is pretty snug fit. I do have to wiggle it to get it in unlike other chargers I have used. But I still find it weird that the first time it faults and the second time it works.
Sponsored

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Some users are having issues with the Lectron Tesla to j1772 adapters. But what should happen is the Rivian should change to red on the charge port for 5-10 seconds after you plug in to charge at home while the Tesla wall connector attempts to soft handshake with the truck. The red chargeport indicates the two components are not communicating as expected. Then it should go to green and charge properly

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
I've been using that setup (48A) for a month and never an issue.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I have the same issue. However, I just leave it plugged in and it fixes itself after a few seconds.

I also find that I only have this problem if I have charged one of the Teslas in the charging session before the Rivian. If I charge the Rivian twice in a row, without charging a Tesla in between, it does not happen.

I believe that has to do with the Tesla charger switching from Tesla mode to J1772 mode.

OP
OP
Hyfly

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Some users are having issues with the Lectron Tesla to j1772 adapters. But what should happen is the Rivian should change to red on the charge port for 5-10 seconds after you plug in to charge at home while the Tesla wall connector attempts to soft handshake with the truck. The red chargeport indicates the two components are not communicating as expected. Then it should go to green and charge properly
Okay good to know. I will leave it plugged in and see if it sorts itself out after a few seconds. Normally I unplug it as soon as it goes red.
Thank you!

OP
OP
Hyfly

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have the same issue. However, I just leave it plugged in and it fixes itself after a few seconds.

I also find that I only have this problem if I have charged one of the Teslas in the charging session before the Rivian. If I charge the Rivian twice in a row, without charging a Tesla in between, it does not happen.

I believe that has to do with the Tesla charger switching from Tesla mode to J1772 mode.
Thank you. I no longer have a tesla and this happens everytime but I will leave it plugged in longer to see if it self fixes.
Sponsored