Sponsored

Tesla "goodies" VS. Rivian "goodies"

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I currently own a Tesla Model 3, Y, and formerly a Model X. R1T preorder holder, with a Q4 2022 estimated delivery date.

I've been wondering about a few items that my Tesla has, and whether Rivan has them, or will make attempts to copy these "features/goodies".

Tesla has:

- Ability to "keep" climate when running into a store for a minute.
- Ability to turn on heated seats via app (when preconditioning cabin climate)
- Auto seat heaters
- Auto lane-keep in the city
- Ding on "green light" (if you sit there too long)
- Summon mode or even back out of a spot with app (Kia has it too nowadays)
- Ability to see live cameras through app
- Dashcam records constantly
- Schedule "climate control"
- Apps like Youtube, etc for when charging/parked

If you're a Tesla owner and I'm missing anything, please add it to the list!

Thanks guys/gals!
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I currently own a Tesla Model 3, Y, and formerly a Model X. R1T preorder holder, with a Q4 2022 estimated delivery date.

I've been wondering about a few items that my Tesla has, and whether Rivan has them, or will make attempts to copy these "features/goodies".

Tesla has:

- Auto seat heaters

Thanks guys/gals!
So not going to find much from me, as a Tesla owner my thoughts on your list.

Auto Seat Heaters? Hah. Count me as a v11 hater, as there is nothing auto about it, it's 'if i feel like it' and 'if it's really needed, then nah' for me with the added insult of 'ha ha we hid the buttons'

The ding on light change is a $12,000 option, along with summon. (FSD, doesn't ding on my car with just AP) The more they raise the price on that upgrade the more I'm wanting to dump my X sooner.

The apps work terribly on my 2019 X, MCU2/FSD Computer. The youtube app logs out weekly, and there's no easy way to log back in if you use a complex password. They're a novelty at best for us, at least where we travel the LTE connection to the car is so weak they barely function. Plus on the horizontal screen they're a postage stamp. (middle of nowhere but along the interstate in NC, TN, KY, IN, IL, MO and KS on road trips)

That said, the dash cam stuff is a killer app. Though we didn't get the streaming upgrade for some reason, would have liked that.

My only hope is that by the time my R1T is made in late 2023 they've added it as an option, like when I got my 2019 and it was just added recently.

The other things on your list exist in other cars I've owned from about 2014 and later. Lane Keeping in the city, seat heaters from the app, etc.

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I certainly wouldn't act like those are Tesla specific things. My MINI EV can keep climate going after you turn off the car and you can schedule preconditioning from the app or the car's infotainment display easily. Auto seat heaters? How about Lexus and their climate concierge mode that manages literally everything with the climate control system?

https://www.reviewed.com/cars/features/lexus-climate-concierge-is-as-persnickety-as-you-are
Yep....fair point! Still wondering if these features will make it. Some are basics now.

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
So not going to find much from me, as a Tesla owner my thoughts on your list.

Auto Seat Heaters? Hah. Count me as a v11 hater, as there is nothing auto about it, it's 'if i feel like it' and 'if it's really needed, then nah' for me with the added insult of 'ha ha we hid the buttons'

The ding on light change is a $12,000 option, along with summon. (FSD, doesn't ding on my car with just AP) The more they raise the price on that upgrade the more I'm wanting to dump my X sooner.

The apps work terribly on my 2019 X, MCU2/FSD Computer. The youtube app logs out weekly, and there's no easy way to log back in if you use a complex password. They're a novelty at best for us, at least where we travel the LTE connection to the car is so weak they barely function. Plus on the horizontal screen they're a postage stamp. (middle of nowhere but along the interstate in NC, TN, KY, IN, IL, MO and KS on road trips)

That said, the dash cam stuff is a killer app. Though we didn't get the streaming upgrade for some reason, would have liked that.

My only hope is that by the time my R1T is made in late 2023 they've added it as an option, like when I got my 2019 and it was just added recently.

The other things on your list exist in other cars I've owned from about 2014 and later. Lane Keeping in the city, seat heaters from the app, etc.
Awe man, I love the auto seat heater! But I also love in a very cold climate. Starting high end turning itself down then off, is awesome!!

Regarding the ding...they could one up Tesla by offering that as a standard option. The truck has the cameras to do it. Simple programming...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Another one I forgot...auto garage door opener upon arrival.

Based on the lackluster responses to this post I'm assuming that for 95% of the people on this forum, the Rivian will be their first electric car, and/or there's not many Tesla drivers here.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

There are other Tesla drivers around, including a Model 3 and Model X in my household. The problem is that no one here knows what Rivian is planning on implementing. While the R1T has a number of things on that list, it is missing a number of seemingly obvious features, both Tesla and non-Tesla, like a dash cam feature, remote camera viewing, 360 degree camera, entertainment apps, built-in garage door opener, and entertainment apps. Some of these missing features, as well as CarPlay, have been discussed extensively in other threads.

Will they implement features like this? Hopefully. Rivian has committed to OTA updates improving the features of the vehicle. However, they have not given us a roadmap of what they are planning or when they will be rolling out additional things.

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
How do we get our wish lists to Rivian? Just email customer service? I doubt it will get anywhere using that route... :(

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How do we get our wish lists to Rivian? Just email customer service? I doubt it will get anywhere using that route... :(
I'm pretty sure they collect suggestions. Just email CS and let them know it's a suggestion list.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Based on the lackluster responses to this post I'm assuming that for 95% of the people on this forum, the Rivian will be their first electric car, and/or there's not many Tesla drivers here.
Ordered R1S LE, LG, FE, with scheduled delivery May/June. Currently Tesla driver: 2020 X Performance— in past 3 and Y as well. Family has 2021 S Plaid. All great vehicles. Rivian has some unique features as does Tesla. Going forward I expect software based changes galore for all EVs. New hardware too. My own take is that Rivian is so focused on all terrain excellence, city, highway, and off-road with its four motors and sophisticated suspension that the features like those you mention are temporarily and briefly lower priority. Rivian does have it’s own cute innovations — portable speaker, flashlight, and more. I do appreciate your list and hope others respond to it.

Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP

Tesla has:

- Auto seat heaters

Thanks guys/gals!
One of the things that gives me hope is my Model 3 didn't have most of these features when I purchased it. It has them all now. If Rivian leans in to OTA the way they say they will, and the way Tesla generally has, we can expect the car will continue to get better with time. I'm optimistic.

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
I have a 15 MS and while the minimal interior looks very sharp and clean, I ended up buying after market cupholders for the front and back. On trips with 4 people, a water bottle per person plus my travel coffee cup made the built in 2 cup holders really inadequate. Hopefully the ones in the R1T are sized so that a normal travel coffee cup will fit in them. I'm glad to see door pockets on the R1T, no door pockets in the back of the MS left the kids without a place to stick their stuff.

For some people the tech is important but for me it is about driving and capability. Tech that supports driving is great and it seems that R1T will have driving assist at least equivalent to autopilot. But I'm a R1T reservation holder because I could use a truck and I want to go offroad. I believe the R1T will be the most capable offroad electric truck so any tech that supports offroad will be great. The R1T's ability to be a hard core offroader while still being comfortable onroad makes it a great choice.

For me, I don't really care about the streaming and games because I charge at home most of the time and rarely use them. Even on a road trip by the time I get coffee, go to the bathroom and get back to the car I'm ready to go. With current charging speeds, I really don't spend much time waiting in the car. Besides we can stream whatever we want easier on our phones or Ipad/tablet.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don’t understand the need for comparison here. They have an internal feature roadmap that nobody that’s not an employee here knows.

Every car is full of trade offs, and no car is perfect. Don’t buy one based on rumors or promises of what it’ll have. You have to assume what you get now is all there is to it. Get another Tesla if those ”benefits” matter more than the “ net benefits” the Rivian provides.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd

My wife HATES this feature lol. Mostly because she forgets, or she comes home when the door is already open. I wish GDOs got smarter and more open for that, for me it's about 80% right, other times it starts then stops the door, but that's more their homelink problem than the auto.

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
My wife HATES this feature lol. Mostly because she forgets, or she comes home when the door is already open. I wish GDOs got smarter and more open for that, for me it's about 80% right, other times it starts then stops the door, but that's more their homelink problem than the auto.
I think this is a cool feature, if you're the only one in the household that uses the garage door (multiple individual garage doors, or a single double wide one). I picture a situation where I'm doing something and have my vehicle half in the garage and half out, then my wife comes home while I'm inside for a second, and the garage door comes down and "touches" my vehicle. If included, I would plan on disabling it, but that's just my concern. Others have different situations and it may not present a problem for them.
Sponsored