Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck Went From Exoskeleton Marvel to Unibody Honda Ridgeline Competitor

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Have you seen the Hummer EV with the spare tire mounted in the bed taking 1/3 of the bed space?
Unfortunately yes I have :asshat:
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I had a strong suspicion from day 1 that manufacturing the Cybertruck using a true exoskeleton would make the truck unaffordable to the masses.

The Cybertruck was promoted using a 3mm thick stainless exterior. Because of weight and cost I predict the production version will use a thinner gauge of stainless steel.
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Cybertruck Went From Exoskeleton Marvel to Unibody Honda Ridgeline Competitor CB16890B-F94B-4083-94FC-0F4A474026F9

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Rivian needs to take some Qs from Tesla. They were going bankrupt until they generated interest in their revised Kick Ass Roadster that has not been produce as well as the cybertruck. Undelivered technology gave them new life. They took in millions of dollars on options that they have yet to produce as well as these two noted vehicles. They should be considered criminals in my book.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I had a strong suspicion from day 1 that manufacturing the Cybertruck using a true exoskeleton would make the truck unaffordable to the masses.

The Cybertruck was promoted using a 3mm thick stainless exterior. Because of weight and cost I predict the production version will use a thinner gauge of stainless steel.
CB16890B-F94B-4083-94FC-0F4A474026F9.jpeg
Agree. When I heard this exoskeleton stuff, my first thought was that they would need a whole new class of body shops and trained techs to repair accident damage. With a true exoskeleton, like a skin stress airplane, you must provide critical support when removing panels or the whole thing bends or collapses. Traditional body shops are not ready for that.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I'll still buy one. 😁
I hold a launch day reservation. Not sure what I’m going to do. If the released specs are a significant downgrade from launch day specs, it will be a dump and run. If the same or better, may flip or keep. Time will tell. 😏

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I hold a launch day reservation. Not sure what I’m going to do. If the released specs are a significant downgrade from launch day specs, it will be a dump and run. If the same or better, may flip or keep. Time will tell. 😏
Yeah, a flip seems to be in my future if I end up with one in a timely manner. I really cannot see driving it for more than a week until I lose my mind.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, a flip seems to be in my future if I end up with one in a timely manner. I really cannot see driving it for more than a week until I lose my mind.
Actual specs will drive my decision to cut and run or flip for serious coin - assuming orders are filled in the order received - which may not be the case at all.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The big elephant in the room is the new Cybertruck pricing structure.

Will it be 10%, 20% or 30% higher than advertised in 2019?

Elon officially said the reveal prices are history. Tesla will most likely drop the $40k Single Motor version due to the low reservation take for that trim.

Sponsored

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
I have two early launch date reservations (didn’t think the first one within 30 secs of the website opening went through). I won’t drive that thing ever, but I’ll buy and flip if the price is right

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I know this is a Rivian forum, but some of you guys here have some serious confidence problem by some of the responses lol
If we need an example of a useless and off topic comment anywhere on the forum I’ll be sure to send you a tag so you can help us out.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I know this is a Rivian forum, but some of you guys here have some serious confidence problem by some of the responses lol
My response - learn how to spell bicycle!!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
My response - learn how to spell bicycle!!
Was going to post same but decided it’s a waste of time for a first time poster. 3 strikes and you’re out!

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
i think we should withhold judgment until its actually produced because it may be more capable than we think. that being said, im wondering if it ever was a true exoskeleton design but more marketing gimmick by Musky.
I think Tesla has created great products and deserves almost all of the credit for really pushing EV adoption forward. We wouldn't have Rivian without Tesla. They also have the best charging network.

However - I do hope that Tesla focuses on three core areas moving forward: quality control, getting the basics right, and not over-selling future innovations.

There's no reason to provide pricing and specifications for a product that is over 5 years away. There's no reason the latest Teslas should have rattles day 1 and need a service visit. There's also no reason to take away ultrasonic sensors and to never really provide working auto wipers.

I know Rivian is following in Tesla's footsteps in a lot of ways. I hope they are able to avoid these mistakes. The vehicles aren't perfect right now, but I'd like to see QC ramp much faster and more comprehensively than what we have seen from Tesla so far.

With Rivian, I was very satisfied to receive some features Teslas lack:

120v outlets
blind spot monitoring systems on the mirrors (and soon, the cameras)
auto wipers that work
radar
USS
the ability to get real world range in conserve mode at 75+ mph

If/when Rivian ramps RAN and/or other CSS charging companies ramp, I don't know if Tesla would be on my shopping list unless some things change from a quality and basic features perspective.
Sponsored

Last edited: