Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

TL, DR: cable too short and not well-positioned for Rivians...but I wasn't sure whether Rivian's would have the 400v vs. 800v issue he mentioned, which caused him to top off at only 42kwh?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/charged-non-tesla-supercharger-heres-100000904.html
The platform those vehicles use are a native 800V battery system and they have to use their motor inverter to step the voltage up from what Tesla can provide to what will actually charge the battery. I believe it's limited to 50kW. They wasted their time on this because it's already been reported on quite a few times.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The platform those vehicles use are a native 800V battery system and they have to use their motor inverter to step the voltage up from what Tesla can provide to what will actually charge the battery. I believe it's limited to 50kW. They wasted their time on this because it's already been reported on quite a few times.
Ouch! I guess that's a big downside to any 800V system. I know most newer chargers will be fine, but a lot might not offer 800V, so that's gonna be awkward at those stations, apparently including Tesla's.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ouch! I guess that's a big downside to any 800V system. I know most newer chargers will be fine, but a lot might not offer 800V, so that's gonna be awkward at those stations, apparently including Tesla's.
Porsche has the same problem in the Taycan, but you can option an upgraded system to be able to charge at 150kW instead of the standard 50kW. Worth doing IMO.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
On a related note, 800V will allow faster charging, but the wear on individual cells would be much worse. 800v architecture changes how cells are connected, but they are the same cells.

I do not understand what the benefit is, when Rivian and other current EVs can't charge at peak rate with current architecture.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
so what does all of this mean for us Rivian owners at Tesla Superchargers? We're capped at 50?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
so what does all of this mean for us Rivian owners at Tesla Superchargers? We're capped at 50?
No Rivian's aren't 800v systems. More like 450v. And there have been videos of Rivians charging at 125-150 kw at superchargers

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
On a related note, 800V will allow faster charging, but the wear on individual cells would be much worse. 800v architecture changes how cells are connected, but they are the same cells.
OK, you're going to have to explain this assertion to me like I'm 5. I'm not 5, but I'm really struggling to see how 800V will make "the wear on individual cells [be] much worse."
Sponsored