Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the nice write up!

Rivian Blue is the color to get if you think you'd like blue. Everyone there was talking about the color and there really isn't another vehicle that is this shade of blue. I can confirm that there is significant color shift depending on the lighting and can see now how it could look like two completely different colors depending on if it's cloudy or sunny out. Those were the two standout things that were immediately apparent.
Ugh. I've been sitting on forest green, but blue has always been more of a go-to for me (Boise State fan...). Lately I've definitely been waffling between a few colors. My wife and I have decided we're really going to have to see what speaks to us at our local first drive even.

The feeling of the exterior door handles was very solid and substantial. The doors are mechanically latched even though the electronically "present" when unlocked. I really like this as it is one less thing to break and I like the feeling of a "real" door pull.
It's funny you mentioned that. I had a similar thought when I was watching one of the video and saw (I think) Brian open it up. There was something oddly satisfying to seeing the mechanical latch work.

I was impressed by the hinge design that they came up with for the tailgate. With the tailgate down there is a lot of usable length there if you need to get a dirt bike or 4 wheeler in the bed.
That's nice to year. I'm really interested in seeing it in person. I understand people wishing there was a step up there, but I think I'll fine the length handy at least a few times while maintaining a shorter bed.

The "chirp" sound that the truck makes when you lock it does actually sound like a bird as mentioned in other reviews. To me it is a little bit too feminine for my taste but I like it much better than a horn honk.
My ID.4 literally does a full volume honk if I hit lock second time. It's embarrassingly loud.

I wish I had gotten to close the the door while I was in it and find my "driving position" (I like to rest my left elbow on my door when cruising) but I don't have time to do that.
The left elbow on the door is a weird fit thing for me as well. I find that my XC60 fits perfectly, but have never really found a great "elbow on door" position in the XC90. It's become something I'm weirdly aware of over the last few years.

After seeing this truck I actually feel more confident in getting the Explore package than before. The draw to this vehicle for me is the functionality and capability not the luxury (even though that stuff is nice). My eyes were drawn to the screens when I was in the cabin more than the wood trim and yellow accents. I found myself more interested in figuring out how this vehicle will suit my needs more so than how nice it actually is. I don't want to hate on Rivian's premium offering so won't get into the stuff I think I will actually prefer on the Explore package over the Adventure but there are a couple of those things. I think Rivian knocked it out of the park with the design of the R1T and clearly there was a lot of thought and effort put into every aspect of this truck. I am even more excited to get mine after seeing one in person!
I started with the explorer package. And then moved to the adventure package because the explorer tonneau is a fold-up and not a roll-up, and I want the ventilated seats and better sound system. However, my recent reliability worries with the retractable tonneau definitely considering going back to the explorer trim and saving some money. I'll be really interested to hear the difference in the sound systems.
Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

My ID.4 literally does a full volume honk if I hit lock second time. It's embarrassingly loud.
I am assuming you know this, but you can disable it. I have ours configured to dash the lights and pull the mirrors in when locked. The honk is turned off. It is just too loud.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I understand people wishing there was a step up there, but I think I'll fine the length handy at least a few times while maintaining a shorter bed.
I was one of those people. The thing I figured out on Friday is that with it having a tonneau cover means you'll have to either open it yourself or wait for it to open before you could step up onto the bumper if it had one. I figure that since the tailgate can open with the tonneau closed then that will give me access to the first 1-2 feet of the bed. If I need something further back then I'll be folding the cover anyways which puts me right at the gear tunnel door for an awesome stepup to get something near the cabin.

I want the ventilated seats and better sound system.
They had the vented seats on when I sat in it and my butt and back told me that they were actively cooled rather than just centered (they might be lying though). It did feel quite nice but I think cabin preconditioning should be enough for me since my main concern is coming back to hot seats after the truck has been sitting outside in the sun.

I didn't get to listen to the sound system but I'm hoping that the Explore package will give some more usable storage where camp speaker in the center console is kept and maybe where the woofer under the rear passenger seat is housed.

However, my recent reliability worries with the retractable tonneau definitely considering going back to the explorer trim and saving some money.
This is my concern as well. I know that a manual cover isn't going to malfunction and leave my stuff either difficult to get out or exposed to the elements. I also hate waiting on lift gates to open on SUVs and I think it'd be even worse for a tonneau cover since I might need to wait for it to open all the way if stuff has shifted around and is close to the cabin.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Under the estimated timeline, Rivian will begin site surveys and engineering over the summer, with installation beginning as early as fall 2021 and stretching into March 2022.
Does anyone know is that actually happening? I believe the plan was to install chargers in all state parks by March 2022. I am only aware of two chargers installed in Radnor State Park. I've looked at other parks in PlugShare and couldn't find a single besides Radnor.
Sponsored