Sponsored

Tech features

Coconutorra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Hey guys,

I was looking the video of Ionic 5, and since this car have amazed me, I wanted to share some thoughts especially comparing some technologies with Rivian and, for the sake of discussion, Tesla.

So basically, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 price in UK is about 36k. What did amazed me most, is the practicality and functionality with which the car was projected.
First of all, it does have a 360 camera which is so good, it's seems even better than in Porsche. This kind of feature it so important, at least for me, and Tesla, still, doesn't have one. Then, it does have a head up display, also, very useful and a very safe feature! Tesla instead did put a screen in the middle.
And the last feature really cool, is the camera side mirrors with screens inside the car.

So I wanted to express my opinion about how, in this case Hyundai, have just made a car relatively cheap, and with those features mentioned above that you don't even can have with a Tesla, which is the benchmark in EV world. Those features are indeed useful in every day life much more than some Tesla features.

I do love Tesla brand even with some big falls, like quality, because it's still better than every other brand. But Tesla it's way too focused in develop some New features and ignoring to add some Existing features.
100k for a model s, without head up display and 360 camera, being especially a car for geeks, it doesn't make sense. Tesla should have all the best technologies available and develop on top of them some new.

I want to purchase a R1S in the near future, I do really like the design and I hope, that Rivian will have a 360 camera as in Ioniq 5 and also a head up display. Because it a little disappointing having such an expensive car and then lack some key features which you can find on a car twice cheaper.

Actually, every car around 50k and above, should have these features
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Hey guys,

I was looking the video of Ionic 5, and since this car have amazed me, I wanted to share some thoughts especially comparing some technologies with Rivian and, for the sake of discussion, Tesla.

So basically, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 price in UK is about 36k. What did amazed me most, is the practicality and functionality with which the car was projected.
First of all, it does have a 360 camera which is so good, it's seems even better than in Porsche. This kind of feature it so important, at least for me, and Tesla, still, doesn't have one. Then, it does have a head up display, also, very useful and a very safe feature! Tesla instead did put a screen in the middle.
And the last feature really cool, is the camera side mirrors with screens inside the car.

So I wanted to express my opinion about how, in this case Hyundai, have just made a car relatively cheap, and with those features mentioned above that you don't even can have with a Tesla, which is the benchmark in EV world. Those features are indeed useful in every day life much more than some Tesla features.

I do love Tesla brand even with some big falls, like quality, because it's still better than every other brand. But Tesla it's way too focused in develop some New features and ignoring to add some Existing features.
100k for a model s, without head up display and 360 camera, being especially a car for geeks, it doesn't make sense. Tesla should have all the best technologies available and develop on top of them some new.

I want to purchase a R1S in the near future, I do really like the design and I hope, that Rivian will have a 360 camera as in Ioniq 5 and also a head up display. Because it a little disappointing having such an expensive car and then lack some key features which you can find on a car twice cheaper.

Actually, every car around 50k and above, should have these futures

Wish the Rivians were getting a Heads Up Display too, I have it in my 2016 Prius and its really nice to have. And the newer Augmented Reality HUDs are really nice and I can see the safety behind it too. I think the Rivians have been in development before this technology was readily available though, and to rework everything in the dash as well as the special windshield that is needed for the display was too much.

The side cameras are not legal in the US and with Rivian being a US company, I think that explains that part.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'd like to see a heads up display as standard equipment, or at least available as an option in every vehicle. Anything that allows us more time with our eyes focused forward is good for all. A sizable number of rear-enders are caused simply by "looking down at the dashboard for just a second, officer" while in traffic. Same with hitting pedestrians.

Having the display with the capability to show caller I.D. also keeps the eyes looking out the front, rather than auto of the dash-mounted displays. This is a huge one, because, unlike the glance at the radio when it's convenient, the incoming call is usually unexpected and we feel the need to see who it is.

I wouldn't want too much info displayed, as that in itself could become distracting and, therefore dangerous.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Also, aren't these interiors supposed to be compared to luxury cars? So it would make sense to get the tech in there as well as extra features. Too early to tell, and maybe its just me, but no mention about rearview mirrors that tilt down when in reverse, or auto-dimming side mirrors, ... stuff like that would really elevate the luxury feel.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Agree with this. Also don't forget remote controlled parking, a feature that Hyundai has been making available in pretty much all their vehicles over the past couple of years:

Rivian R1T R1S Tech features 1621878629646

I really hope Rivian enables this simple feature via software because they sure as hell have the necessary hardware to pull it off. If I have to use my narrow garage as a spot for my R1S I definitely need this!

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I was hoping for a HUD too, but we will have no such luck. I've never owned a vehicle that had one, but I do think they're valuable & cool.

On a positive note, I know that Rivian has confirmed 360 degree camera at some point.

OP
OP

Coconutorra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Good to know that at least 360 camera is there
Sponsored