Sponsored

Tech Crunch has fresh video about Self Driving System

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Posted today. Company engineers talking about Level 3 autonomous driver monitoring systems. Cool stuff! Brilliant engineers = smart design.

Sponsored

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Very cool. I liked how he talked about targeting level 3 because they are consumer focused as opposed to fleet focused.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Nice find. Thanks for sharing it.
Personally I'm not on-board with FSD (full self-driving) mode (yet? maybe never? dunno) but I do appreciate all the advancements in safety features, like adaptive cruise control and lane change assist. I've only been a passenger in cars with level 2 autonomy, so I'm not sure how I will react to it as the driver or how long it will take for me to get comfortable and trust it. First things first before I can even think about FSD. Plus, I actually enjoy driving. After all, for what these EAVs cost I'm not going want to turn over the driving to someone, err, something else. :)

OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Same here. The possibilities are there for highway travel in optimum weather but that’s about the only time I can see myself using that feature.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

My takeaway from watching that video isn't so much of "look what our Rivian is capable of", it's that Rivian plans to keep their vehicles as trucks and SUVs for the consumer. From day one they had the end user in mind. I hope it stays that way. Tesla on the other hand is gearing up Level 5 FSD with the end game that their vehicles will no longer be accessible to the average to slightly above average consumer. They will be fleet/livery service only, costing upwards of 4 - 6 times their original price per vehicle. That is one of the reasons that leased Model 3s MUST be returned to Tesla. This ensures MAX availability for Tesla's own Uber-esque service. I can't necessarily blame Tesla. If I could own a fleet of Full Self Driving taxis, I would...I am just thankful for the current roadmap that Rivian is on and I am looking forward to more details about our new trucks and SUVs.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Not sure if this helps clear the fog.

When I talked to RJ at the Overland West Expo, Rivian is building digital trails that they have mapped out for autonomous driving so that all passengers can enjoy the view---that includes the driver. Most likely these will be the locations of their charging stations that Tesla or other EV Stations companies may not necessarily invest in right away. I think that is what is being referenced in "beyond the road" that came from another thread in this forum. Also mentioned in the conversation, if you are exploring with your Rivian and want to share that experience with other Rivian owners, that digital trail you did could be shared with others. All your driving telemetry will be in the cloud. A cool concept--there are privacy issues there but that is for another discussion. If you have a great fishing spot in a remote area, you may not want to share that digital trail (wink)...but the concept is great.

I also agree that Level 5 will be when most if not all vehicles on the road are connected in some way and if memory serves me right, RJ may have mentioned that condition as well.

On a little tangent but related, I do know that their are discussions of having autonomous driving lanes between two metro cities in the USA that was shared to me by my CEO who is active in his city. So in those cases full autonomous driving could be realized sooner rather than later.

Back to this thread, in the same Overland Expo discussions with RJ, a reporter joined our conversation and asked about how the Rivian can sense if a car is merging into your lane or not....especially on a freeway on-ramp. That reporter specifically said that Tesla cars are aware of a car next to them, but does not know about it merging on a freeway on ramp as an example he gave. One would think there is AI between the navigation data and the autonomous driving software, but that could touch on Level3/Level 4/Level 5.

So RJ's response to the reporter was the Rivian's have more places to put sensors and cameras on the truck and SUV. RJ is a great spokes person and did not fully commit to answering the reporters question, but gave the impression the Rivian would, or could know how to react in that particular use case.

For me, I love using the adaptive cruise control when I rent cars when traveling for business. Per RJ, that is Level 1.

The idea of autonomous cruise control that knows if lane change is being attempted by another vehicle, or merging cars on freeways would be cool. RJ's point is we still need to have hands on the wheel until more cars are connected in some way--however for the digital trails, full autonomous driving is achievable as there would be less variables.

Hope this provides a new perspective on what may come with the Rivian's...
Sponsored