CommonSense

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Panamera Turbo S e-H; Cayenne Turbo; +5
Clubs

Porsche has said they designed their regen to be akin to winding out a 911 on the back roads. I prefer this having driven sports cars all my life.

But it’s also a blended braking system, so it hits Regen first unless you’re slamming on them for an emergency stop.
Watch out! There is a group of one-pedalers that will insist you don't know how to drive if you prefer two pedal regen vs. one pedal regen.... Found that out on another thread where I admitted I preferred the Porsche version....
Sponsored

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Watch out! There is a group of one-pedalers that will insist you don't know how to drive if you prefer two pedal regen vs. one pedal regen.... Found that out on another thread where I admitted I preferred the Porsche version....
They’ve probably only ever driven a Prius or Tesla in the last 10 years. Their opinion doesn’t matter to me.

I maintain the Taycan is a Porsche that just happens to be electric.

Ok truth be told, the perfect scenario is that we have all the options available. Coasting when I want to drive on the highways, limited regen for back twisties, and full send regen for city driving.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Porsche has said they designed their regen to be akin to winding out a 911 on the back roads. I prefer this having driven sports cars all my life.

But it’s also a blended braking system, so it hits Regen first unless you’re slamming on them for an emergency stop.
Sure, but on a daily driver, full one pedal is a nicer experience for me. I'd rather drive a stick shift otherwise. I don't find needing to use the physical brake pedal to be "more engaging".

CommonSense

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Panamera Turbo S e-H; Cayenne Turbo; +5
Clubs

We just acquired our new Taycan 4 CT for my wife to complement my R1S!
Howdy Neighbor - congratulations , fantastic car! The cross-turismo spec is rare , I'm sure I'll notice you around town (I'm in Villanova, have a PO Box in Gladwyne).

We've got three daily-driver types in our family - An R1S , A Cayenne Turbo, and a Panamera Turbo S e-hybrid. Your reviews match my experience, I enjoy them all as vehicles, for different reasons.

Leg room - The only thing that surprised me was your comments on the back seat room in the Taycan. My understanding is the backseat is smaller in the Taycan compared to the Panamera, it's one of the main reasons I passed over the Taycan when it first came out. I'll have to revisit it.

Local dealer - It sounds you may not have have a preferred Porsche dealer yet, let me recommend Porsche Main Line to you for maintenance / inspection. I've never been to Porsche Conshohocken so I'm not bad mouthing them, but Porsche ML is wonderful for service, the service manager Tim Naylor is great. They'll pick the car up from your house and bring it back. I was so happy when the same dealer group (RDS, part of Penske) bought Algar Ferrari (now Ferrari of Philadelphia) as well, the dealership experience improved so much under their ownership.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Sure, but on a daily driver, full one pedal is a nicer experience for me. I'd rather drive a stick shift otherwise. I don't find needing to use the physical brake pedal to be "more engaging".
No disagreement on a true fun car being manual. But if the Taycan is doing it all, I appreciate their choice. As I said though, the best scenario would be the ability to choose based on situation.

Sponsored

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
OP, make sure you trade those amber side markers for clear. Easiest upgrade you’ll do. 🤠

MGA

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Veloster
I would never buy a German car, because I just don't like this country. :D

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S + Land Rover Defender Trek Edition
we also have a Taycan Turismo and while I prefer the one pedal / regen on the R1, Porsche has a full article on why it designed their system the way it did. The forthcoming electric Macon and Cayenne will be the same. It makes sense in a Porsche kinda way, and just comes down to personal like / dis-like. My wife hates the way the R1 behaves …
I traded my 4 CT for the R1T…man do I miss it. Nothing like a fast wagon. Scheduling charging in the Taycan can be a little tricky but at least it had it! Did you get the rear wheel steering?
No RWS
But you have so much utility with the truck bed! Given the market on Taycans there will be plenty of good deals available in the future too

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When I had one as a loaner, I actually really liked that it felt exactly like a normal car. Regen is basically just as powerful as the Rivian, you just can't tell when it transitions from regen to friction brake. I don't know what my ideal solution would be, but one pedal driving isn't quite it, but neither is a brake pedal that gives zero feedback about what is actually happening.

One pedal driving can be more efficient because it trains the driver to decelerate within the capabilities of regenerative braking except in special situations. An optimally performing brake pedal activated regen system is just as efficient, possibly more-so because you don't "yo-yo" on accident, as I often do in my Rivian (accelerate, then release the pedal slightly too much when at speed and going into light regen).
Awesome post,
Where I see/have had the regen be problematic is ice/snow in vehicles with poor traction control systems. The regen slows the tire too much, but the mass of the vehicle maintains forward momentum (inertia) and slides the vehicle. These situations will be curious to see how both vehicles perform. Will find an empty parking lot (easy) but finding snow (in Philly) may be hard!

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I always find it amusing when an OP buys a quarter million dollars worth of cars and there's a line item in the post about how they just couldn't spring for xxx option because they couldn't justify the cost.

But overall good info and insight. And I too miss the .9% interest rates.
I know I laugh at that too
My wife ultimately wanted black/black/black/black combo! She wasn’t as concerned with options. Luckily such model arrived in Brooklyn - a lovely 4S sits in Long Island (Porsche Gold Coast) for the same sale price but GOLD wheels. She assured me she would never drive the car if we purchase that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Congrats and welcome to the club. I have a Taycan 4S CT to complement the R1S. My opinion of build differs, though. I feel the Porsche is built like a tank, while I feel like I need to be careful with the Rivian lest something get wiggled loose or a suspension component fall out based on the noise I hear.

Wouldn’t trade my Taycan for anything. 😇
Thank you!
You are right I must have mistyped or used the wrong context
The Porsche is SOLID - the Rivian feels like a rolling anvil (by sheer size) but the build quality is that of a late model Suburban

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

They did a great job! I feel like it would be more predictable in snow than one pedal regen

OP
OP
Groshyubcha

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the warning! You have an excellent community here
Sponsored