Sponsored

Tax Credit Proposal - House Bill 11/3

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Tesla doesn't make 18650s in the Model S and Model X.

Tesla doesn't make 2170s for Model 3 or Model Y.

Tesla doesn't make Prismatic LFP for MiC base Model 3 and Model Y.

Tesla is currently making 4680s in California but hasn't installed them in a vehicle being currently sold.
Old news.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Tesla doesn't make 18650s in the Model S and Model X.

Tesla doesn't make 2170s for Model 3 or Model Y.

Tesla doesn't make Prismatic LFP for MiC base Model 3 and Model Y.

Tesla is currently making 4680s in California but hasn't installed them in a vehicle being currently sold.

I'm just ignorant on this. I thought Tesla made batteries in the gigafactories. Aren't those Tesla owned factories?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I'm just ignorant on this. I thought Tesla made batteries in the gigafactories. Aren't those Tesla owned factories?
Tesla essentially just lets Panasonic use floor space in the factory, and even that is just for the batteries for the 3 and Y. The S and X batteries still come from Japan last I saw.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
As Autolycus said Tesla rents space to Panasonic which manufactures the cells. Tesla employees are not allowed into the Panasonic section of the Gigafactory.

Tesla takes delivery of the 2170s puts them into modules and then into battery packs.

GF Nevada also produces the motors for Model 3/Y.

Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T,2014 BMW X1,2007 Ranger
Occupation
Slacker Hacker
Outstanding news as far as increase in MSRP limits from those previously proposed.

As far as options bringing certain Rivian configurations over the 80k limit, does anybody know for sure how the government defines MSRP. Is MSRP considered base vehicle price or is it considered as optioned vehicle price?
I'm curious about this also. Is the EV tax credit based on the base vehicle price or the price after options.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm curious about this also. Is the EV tax credit based on the base vehicle price or the price after options.
The bill itself just says MSRP. The IRS will have to issue a regulation or formal guidance on what that means.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The bill itself just says MSRP. The IRS will have to issue a regulation or formal guidance on what that means.
My guess is that the IRS will base eligibility off of the VIN. The big options that show up in the VIN may impact eligibility but things like color/wheels/kitchen/tent will probably not.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guess is that the IRS will base eligibility off of the VIN. The big options that show up in the VIN may impact eligibility but things like color/wheels/kitchen/tent will probably not.
That would be a very good result, IMO. Based on current R1 pricing, that would mean any Explore or Adventure trim would qualify, regardless of other options chosen. It might, unfortunately, mean the max battery would not. The battery doesn't seem to be reflected in the VIN right now, but I have a hard time believing that it won't be reflected in the VIN once it's actually being manufactured.

It would be a shame if someone has to chose between 20" AT tires, off-road package, their preferred paint color, or Forest Edge because it would cost them a $7500 tax credit.

I'm sure the Camp Kitchen, Tent, etc. will be priced outside of MSRP for the vehicle itself, so those _shouldn't_ come into play for the tax credit. If they do, Rivian will probably come up with a simple solution, like letting you order for the same price and including it in the warranty as long as it's ordered with 7 days (or similar) to delivery of the vehicle.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
and also a shame that some people can't get the tax credit even if they order the base explore with no options ??‍♂

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
and also a shame that some people can't get the tax credit even if they order the base explore with no options ??‍♂
That'd be me. ?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Manchin wants the union requirement gone. Every Dem Senator from a state with an auto plant for a brand other than GM, Ford, or Stellantis should want it gone too.

I've said it before, but that dang well better include the 2 from Georgia who were just elected and are why this bill is even a possibility. There's a battery plant being built in in Georgia (SK Innovations), so the 2 GA Senators should support the "Domestic Content" bonus $500, but their constituents in West Point who work at the Kia plant should be lobbying hard to change the "Domestic Assembly" bonus to be just final assembly in the US (without the collective bargaining requirement). Ohio I believe also has a Dem Senator and some non-UAW plants.

OP
OP

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
They are considering “a potential compromise that would allow the bonus credit for any electric vehicles assembled in the U.S., not just those subject to collective bargaining agreements. “I’d be open to something along those lines, yeah,” he said.”

This would be a great outcome.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
That would be a very good result, IMO. Based on current R1 pricing, that would mean any Explore or Adventure trim would qualify, regardless of other options chosen. It might, unfortunately, mean the max battery would not. The battery doesn't seem to be reflected in the VIN right now, but I have a hard time believing that it won't be reflected in the VIN once it's actually being manufactured.

It would be a shame if someone has to chose between 20" AT tires, off-road package, their preferred paint color, or Forest Edge because it would cost them a $7500 tax credit.

I'm sure the Camp Kitchen, Tent, etc. will be priced outside of MSRP for the vehicle itself, so those _shouldn't_ come into play for the tax credit. If they do, Rivian will probably come up with a simple solution, like letting you order for the same price and including it in the warranty as long as it's ordered with 7 days (or similar) to delivery of the vehicle.
It would be a shame if max pack made a vehicle ineligible. That would encourage people not to use a BEV for road trips and goes against the intent of the rebate.
Sponsored