Sponsored

Tax Credit - Fisker Announces Pre-Purchase Program Will Rivian Follow?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
  • Make your Fisker Ocean trim selection – choose from Fisker Ocean Extreme, Ultra, or Sport.
  • Accept the Order Agreement Terms and Conditions.
Completing this process converts each of your Fisker Ocean reservation fees into a non-refundable deposit and secures your Fisker Ocean order. Closer to production, you will select color, wheels, interior, and other options and accessories. Please note these options and accessories may increase the base trim price shown.
I really like how they're maintaining flexibility by only getting commitments to a specific trim level. I was slightly concerned about having to finalize my color and wheel choices to sign a PBA but it looks like that can be kicked further down the road if need be. Hope Rivian takes notes and executes on this s0000000n!
Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I am a a little concerned that committing MAY make you eligible for the $7500.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Starting at Noon eastern today, Fisker is offering US buyers the option to convert reservations into firm orders so they can qualify for the old tax credit. Is Rivian going to do the same?

https://investors.fiskerinc.com/new...flation-Reduction-Act-Become-Law/default.aspx
I wrote RJ and RIVIAN customer service and made an impassioned plea for them to follow.

Anyone who will be impacted by the EV credit changes should do the same:

[email protected]
[email protected]

You will be impacted if ANY of the following apply to your reservation:
  • Your configured MSRP is over 80K
  • Your single/married income exceeds 150K/300K (AGI)
  • You have not already signed a purchase agreement with RIVIAN

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
This is where I’m getting confused. If we still take delivery this year the income cap and the 80k thing don’t matter right?

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This is where I’m getting confused. If we still take delivery this year the income cap and the 80k thing don’t matter right?
That is correct. It only matters to the portion of the 90,000 preorder holders who don’t realistically expect their R1S or R1T to be delivered this year.

Also, the battery mineral and battery component sourcing rules in the legislation kick in for deliveries after 2022 unless prior to the new law’s enactment a binding sales contract is in hand.

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The materials sourcing and assembly goes into effect immediately after the law is signed by the president so that would eliminate Rivian even for 2022 deliveries through the end of the year unless you signed the PBA.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The materials sourcing and assembly goes into effect immediately after the law is signed by the president so that would eliminate Rivian even for 2022 deliveries through the end of the year unless you signed the PBA.
I thought there was a year grace period on those requirements?

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought there was a year grace period on those requirements?
There’s not in the law for the % requirements. There’s a separate piece that basically excludes any with China source materials in any % which starts in 2024. Another thread said there will be waivers (by treasury maybe) for a few years that would still allow the $7,500 to be claimed.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I don’t that’s true. Everything I’ve seen says the bill starts 1/1/2023.

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I believe eMoore is correct about this. From MIT Technology Review re the timing of the battery requirements kicking in:

”There are two major parts to the new rules. First are the limitations around the critical minerals used in the battery, like lithium, nickel, and cobalt. Starting when the tax credits kick in at the start of 2023, 40% of these minerals in the car’s battery must be mined, processed, or recycled in the US or a free-trade partner. This ramps up over time, hitting 80% in 2026.

There’s also guidance about where the battery is actually made—starting in 2023, half the components need to be manufactured or assembled in North America. This reaches 100% by 2029.”

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/08/02/1056606/ev-tax-credits-battery-supply/

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t that’s true. Everything I’ve seen says the bill starts 1/1/2023.
Here’s the text…maybe there’s some time between the passage and the proposed guidance by Treasury? The guidance must be issued by 12/31/22 per the bill.

Critical minerals

‘‘(B) APPLICABLE PERCENTAGE.—For purposes of subparagraph (A), the applicable percentage shall be—
‘‘(i) in the case of a vehicle placed in service after the date on which the pro- posed guidance described in paragraph (3)(B) is issued by the Secretary and be- fore January 1, 2024, 40 percent”

Battery components

‘‘(B) APPLICABLE PERCENTAGE.—For
purposes of subparagraph (A), the applicable percentage shall be—
‘‘(i) in the case of a vehicle placed in service after the date on which the pro- posed guidance described in paragraph (3)(B) is issued by the Secretary and be- fore January 1, 2024, 50 percent”

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

There’s not in the law for the % requirements. There’s a separate piece that basically excludes any with China source materials in any % which starts in 2024. Another thread said there will be waivers (by treasury maybe) for a few years that would still allow the $7,500 to be claimed.
To be clear, the suggestion by one forum member that he heard from his unnamed lobbyist friends that they think there will ultimately be waivers allowing the $7500 tax credit beyond 2022 is, at least today, unverifiable speculation and not a sound basis for informed decision making.

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I am a a little concerned that committing MAY make you eligible for the $7500.
I think the only reason they are using language with a little flex is to acknowledge that the legislation is not final yet and that there may yet be rulemaking after it is signed that might affect how the law is interpreted. Besides, "may" is better than status quo, which is currently looking like zero credit.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
To be clear, the suggestion by one forum member that he heard from his unnamed lobbyist friends that they think there will ultimately be waivers allowing the $7500 tax credit beyond 2022 is, at least today, unverifiable speculation and not a sound basis for informed decision making.
Even if that turns out to be the case, there is very little down side to signing a binding agreement now unless one would still be on the fence with the tax credit. I guess if some life-altering events were to happen between now and actual delivery, being locked into an $60K+ purchase would be bad. But, losing the deposit may not be the worst thing at that point.

GR
Sponsored

Reactions: Jac