Tax Credit Changes in new bill [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS & ARGUING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Speaking as a CPA, income is a terrible measure for incentives but an asset test is way too hard to implement so it’s the only “easy” way to do this. We have clients with tens of millions or hundreds of millions of assets whose income fluctuates year to year and there are years where they may have losses due to capital/equipment investments and bonus depreciation.
Which is exactly why income caps are dumb and why the current credit makes more sense than the one proposed.
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Can someone claim more than one credit per year if they buy multiple EV’s?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Does this basically destroy the Rivian + Xpel partnership? Or would the PPF not count in the MSRP?

America is truck and SUV heavy, those are expensive in EV form for the immediate future...They need to realize this and either remove cap or faze it in over 3-5 years.

Thought - wonder if companies look at the Vinfast battery subscription as a way around the MSRP cap?
If coming from factory...added to MSRP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does this affect people who already took delivery? In other words, is it retroactive for the tax year?

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Shared sacrifice for climate change legislation or shared global suicide.

To give you another perspective, I’d rather lose my tax credit than have one Senator screw up climate change legislation.

In other words: "It DOES/MIGHT affect me negatively, BUT it's STILL great!"

Note: all based on the potentially futile hope that we have a chance to make changes to the climate

"It doesn't affect me negatively, so it's great!"

Last edited:

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Shared sacrifice for climate change legislation or shared global suicide.

To give you another perspective, I’d rather lose my tax credit than have one Senator screw up climate change legislation.

In other words: "It DOES/MIGHT affect me negatively, BUT it's STILL great!"

Note: all based on the potentially futile hope than we have a chance to make changes to the climate
So you think the fate of the planet hinges on an EV incentive bill?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

If coming from factory...added to MSRP
Agreed. I looked all over for a federal definition of MSRP. It seems that it’s mostly the states that do this. The Feds just define what is on the sticker. But that’s just based on what I’ve found so far. If it’s on the sticker as a factory option, it’s in the MSRP. If it’s dealer or consumer installed item, then it’s not part of the MSRP.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Anyone have any idea on the sources of the battery minerals & components? Are R1 vehicles even eligible for $3750 or $7500?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Does this affect people who already took delivery? In other words, is it retroactive for the tax year?
Credit applies for vehicles purchased beginning January 1, 2023. (Page 386, line 1).

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So higher interest rates.
Most likely no tax deduction.
The Rivian is looking better and better by the minute ☹
Also the definition of MSRP is not clear. Mine will be over 80k.
Not sure if it's the way they will look at it, but the MSRP listed on my truck's title is $67,500. All the extras I ordered with the truck weren't included there.

taylor710ce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3 and Highlander
Speaking as a CPA, income is a terrible measure for incentives but an asset test is way too hard to implement so it’s the only “easy” way to do this. We have clients with tens of millions or hundreds of millions of assets whose income fluctuates year to year and there are years where they may have losses due to capital/equipment investments and bonus depreciation.
@McMoo, hopefully after daycare they'll be less expenditures! And gosh, I would have loved to have seen a gradient of incentives based on income instead of all or nothing.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I don’t find the compulsion to think in such absolute terms in order to make forward progress. (Or even to score points on the internet)

~”Let not perfection be the enemy of good.”

So you think the fate of the planet hinges on an EV incentive bill?

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
I guess a lot of people here will be kissing that tax credit goodbye in 2023. Glad I received my Lightning here in 2022 as I think the current rules apply.

On one hand it's a bummer that the income limit is where it is, but on the other hand if you're in the higher income brackets I don't think the tax credit will substantially change a purchase decision, whereas it will matter a lot at the lower incomes. The one caveat is I know that all of us who had been expecting it sort of baked it in mentally, so letting it go may be hard.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Absolutely not. It’s not perfect but it’s still a step in the right direction.
so a step in the right direction is spending money the USA doesn’t have and paying more than 1 billion dollars a day in interest alone.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.