kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US344953450&_cid=P21-KXGYJ0-60827-1

US20210387627 - METHODS, SYSTEMS, AND MEDIA FOR DETERMINING CHARACTERISTICS OF ROADS

Rivian R1T R1S Tank Turn Implementation Hints thru Road Monitoring 1640142703831

Methods, systems, and media for determining characteristics of roads are provided. In some embodiment, the method comprises: receiving, at a first time point, first camera information from a camera associated with a vehicle; identifying a first position of a feature of an object in front of the vehicle based on the first camera information; receiving, at an additional time point, additional camera information from the camera; identifying an updated position of the feature of the object in front of the vehicle based on the additional camera information; determining a relative motion of the feature of the object in front of the vehicle based on the first position and the updated position; and determining a characteristic of a road the vehicle is on based on the relative motion of the feature of the object in front of the vehicle.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
my first thought isn't tank turn, but dealing with refining the traction control conundrum with the four independent wheels.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

my first thought isn't tank turn, but dealing with refining the traction control conundrum with the four independent wheels.
The details also mention traffic etc so more so is right how ever I think if they can implement this its step 1 of determining a SURFACE suitable for a Tank Turn.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I supposed that if the cameras could reliably differentiate between soft (mud, dirt, grass) vs. hard (pavement, concrete) surfaces, it could be used as a safety interlock to prevent damage to the drive train.. But presumably that could be determined by the amount of electrical current and antilock brake spin sensors more reliably. Wheels resisting spin (which is needed for tank turn) will have high current flow and no rotation sensor pulses.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
fwiw, I think there's no significance to tank mode on asphalt or ice or any level of traction in-between. If the drivetrain cannot handle breaking traction on asphalt in a tank turn, it cannot handle peak acceleration at the threshold of traction (there's more load in a quarter mile drag race than there is in spinning a tire.)
I wonder if Rivian has a gyro somewhere in the vehicle to control the center of rotation (to compensate for traction.)
I think the biggest problem is the absence of two track levers (left and right) to proportionally control the virtual track drive resulting from synchronizing the left and right wheels.
I imagine the solution chosen is something like:
1) to engage tank mode, confirm vehicle is "safe" (not on a public road, no pedestrians, moving below some speed limit, say 50 mph, etc.)
2) with the transmission in D and foot off brake, steer left and right to rotate left and right
3) steering wheel buttons left and right "brake" the left track and right tracks independently
4) with trans in D or R, accelerator will propel left wheels in synchronous and right wheels in synchronous
5) the proportionate differential slip between left and ride side virtual tracks is the steering angle input
6) brakes behave normally (attempting to slow all four wheels with the same force) without overriding the synchronous of tank mode until brake pedal reaches a safety threshold indicating the driver is attempting to bring the vehicle to an emergency stop.

Personally, I'd like to be able to use a game controller (wirelessly from inside or outside the vehicle) to control the vehicle (in tank mode or in normal driving.) This would be great fun for anything from off-road to backing a boat on a trailer down the ramp (from within the boat.)

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I just want to try this (very slowly) on the Black Bear Pass switchbacks.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
fwiw, I think there's no significance to tank mode on asphalt or ice or any level of traction in-between. If the drivetrain cannot handle breaking traction on asphalt in a tank turn, it cannot handle peak acceleration at the threshold of traction (there's more load in a quarter mile drag race than there is in spinning a tire.)
Disagree. The difference is that in tank turn, there will be significant lateral (sideways) stress on the wheel hubs and suspension, combined with the torque attempting to twist those structural members. Those are very different stresses compared to fore-aft forces in linear or near linear acceleration. Look at the video of tank turn and you will see that the front end and rear end are moving sideways.

Put a model car on a rough surface, push it front and back. Then twist it like tank turn. You'll see, feel and hear the difference.
Rivian R1T R1S Tank Turn Implementation Hints thru Road Monitoring 1640179679459

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I wonder if Rivian has a gyro somewhere in the vehicle to control the center of rotation (to compensate for traction.)
I think the biggest problem is the absence of two track levers (left and right) to proportionally control the virtual track drive resulting from synchronizing the left and right wheels.
I imagine the solution chosen is something like:
1) to engage tank mode, confirm vehicle is "safe" (not on a public road, no pedestrians, moving below some speed limit, say 50 mph, etc.)
2) with the transmission in D and foot off brake, steer left and right to rotate left and right
3) steering wheel buttons left and right "brake" the left track and right tracks independently
4) with trans in D or R, accelerator will propel left wheels in synchronous and right wheels in synchronous
5) the proportionate differential slip between left and ride side virtual tracks is the steering angle input
6) brakes behave normally (attempting to slow all four wheels with the same force) without overriding the synchronous of tank mode until brake pedal reaches a safety threshold indicating the driver is attempting to bring the vehicle to an emergency stop.

Personally, I'd like to be able to use a game controller (wirelessly from inside or outside the vehicle) to control the vehicle (in tank mode or in normal driving.) This would be great fun for anything from off-road to backing a boat on a trailer down the ramp (from within the boat.)
For practical use, I proposed this: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...urn-feature-is-delayed.2077/page-5#post-57396

Even without a 360-degree view, I’d like to rotate the orientation of the vehicle on-screen and then execute the rotation. Any application of the brake sufficient to turn on the brake lights would command an emergency stop. I personally don’t see the need to have the vehicle rotate continuously like an amusement park ride, but I can see why others would want this as a novelty. I picture showing off this continuous rotation to some passengers and then having to clean up the results of their car-sickness.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I just want to try this (very slowly) on the Black Bear Pass switchbacks.
I think I saw something referred to as a K-turn at some point...basically what vehicles like the new Bronco and the 200 series Land Cruiser do, locking the inside rear wheel to make the turning circle tighter. That would be far more useful on tight switchbacks than tank turn. The really gnarly thing is if you watch the MotorTrend video from when they were on BBP, there's zero possibility they escaped the first switchback without collecting the big rock with the passenger side of the truck. It's unclear how bad it was and whether it was just a spotting fail or what, but it didn't look pretty. Last time I was on BBP I was surprised by how much paint was on that rock too.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think I saw something referred to as a K-turn at some point...basically what vehicles like the new Bronco and the 200 series Land Cruiser do, locking the inside rear wheel to make the turning circle tighter. That would be far more useful on tight switchbacks than tank turn. The really gnarly thing is if you watch the MotorTrend video from when they were on BBP, there's zero possibility they escaped the first switchback without collecting the big rock with the passenger side of the truck. It's unclear how bad it was and whether it was just a spotting fail or what, but it didn't look pretty. Last time I was on BBP I was surprised by how much paint was on that rock too.
Having independent control over each wheel means they could also do things like turn the outer wheel a little faster and even slightly reverse the inner wheel
Sponsored