Talk me off the ledge: Considering Toyota RAV4 Prime

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Are you driving a full size SUV or pickup currently? If so, the back of RAV4 is definitely not as comfortable. And which trim of RAV4 did you test drive? I think seats on Prime are better than those on regular RAV4's (or maybe I am just biased). But I mean, overall its a pretty decent plug in hybrid SUV with 40 miles of EV only range, crazy high MPG, and priced at around $42k only.

If he ordered a TRD Pro, its prob going to take a while. All TRD Pros of Taco, Tundra, and 4Runner are now selling at 10k over MSRP, and they are still sold within a couple days after they hit the lot. What a crazy market for Toyota currently.
She ordered a limited. Think she has been waiting a couple months.

Can't remember which trim we tried. We ended up going bigger with a Telluride. Just wasn't impressed with the Rav4 or the Highlander to be honest. I would think the Rav and R1T are totally different vehicles. Just need to decide what features are most important to you. Performance, luxury and off road capabilities are definitely going to be wins for Rivian when comparing these two. Is that important to you?
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hard to think of a more boring vehicle. The few I can think of are also Toyota’s (Corolla, Camry).

Ultimately, do whatever makes you happy. Personally, a RAV4 wouldn’t make me happy; it would make me wonder if life was even worth living.
Commodore,

I have to admit, I was thinking something very similar, but didn't know how to say it. You said it very well. Thank you!

I can't count the number of times in my life that I've been to Baskin Robbins. Out of 31 available flavors, one of the few I've NEVER, EVER tried is Vanilla. While Vanilla goes well with most everything, it does nothing to stir my imagination. It's as bland as, well, Vanilla.

The Rav4, in any iteration, strikes me in much the same way; Rock solid, reliable, good resale value, prevents radical dreams, and is very popular. That fourth attribute is a deal-killer for me.

The Rav4 seems far less addictive than Valium, but it has (at least for me) very similar physical and emotional effects. Fortunately for me, the Toyota has zero addictive value. Again, hard to go wrong with it, but nothing about it inspires me. I want a vehicle to move me, whether it's moving me, or sitting in my garage.

I have friends and family with Hybrid Rav4's, if not the PHEV model. Are they happy with them? Yes, they are. Do they love them? "Why would you ask me that?" they would likely ask of me. Have I ever seen a Perma-Grin on the face of any one of them? Nope. Not once. At least, never related to that car.

If your inner Mr. Spock tells you buying the Rav4 PHEV is "A most logical solution", then buy it. If any part of your inner child asks "Why would we put down a deposit and back out now?", I'd think you'd want to think really, really hard about that before pulling the plug on your dream.

If given a choice between a cup of Vanilla or a double scoop of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough on a waffle cone, I'm going with the latter every time. If a chip shortage is also plaguing that industry, then I'm going with this month's favorite, "Hidden Treasure", on that same waffle cone. I'd rather go hungry and save the money, than settle for Vanilla.

Check out the following and see if your salivary glands do something, anything, when you see Vanilla....

https://order.baskinrobbins.com/menu/flavors

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
@DuckTruck i am compelled to point out that high quality vanilla ice cream, made with real vanilla(from pods, not extract or fake stuff) and real cream is sublime. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@DuckTruck i am compelled to point out that high quality vanilla ice cream, made with real vanilla(from pods, not extract or fake stuff) and real cream is sublime. ?
Yep. So true. Still not ordering it..... Life seems too short to bother.

"Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough!
The other one has got to go!"
?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yep. So true. Still not ordering it..... Life seems too short to bother.

"Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough!
The other one has got to go!"
?
I'll take some blackberry birthday cake or lucky charms from Salt n' Straw.

You may have lost your Portland cred by referencing Baskin Robbins bud... ;)

Sponsored

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Lots of good opinions with smart people here, and not a few Toyota/Prime/other EV owners.

So, help talk me off the ledge of withdrawing my RTI pre-order, and going for a Toyota RAV4 Prime.
1) Less cost
2) The PHEV aspect, where I DO have a ICE "if I needed it". 99% of the time I wouldn't, but there's still the accessibility of "During Adventure" charging.
3) Of course Toyota's tech is already a proven/known factor, whereas Rivian is a start up.
4) All the questions posted elsewhere about resale/leasing/financing/"first adopter" (which I'm typically not).

So, Talk me down, ye Disciples of the Great R.
If you can get one for minimal markup and you need something now its a fantastic vehicle. Can always sell off later if you want, I can almost guarantee this will retain very high amount of value.

If you don't plan on using the ICE part, why not consider something like an ID4 to get by?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'll take some blackberry birthday cake or lucky charms from Salt n' Straw.

SeaGeo,

I'm thinking you're part of a small percentage here who can relate to a Salt 'n Straw reference, but I'm unaware of how far their reach extends. I know their reach extends into the bucket deep enough for exactly what I request, but that's where my SnS knowledge ends. On the other hand, everyone knows of BR and their 31 flavors.

Likewise, saying "I can't wait to grab a Captain Neon Burger with Scooby Snacks and a cold Terminator" might not mean anything to the folks in Kangakee. I'd likely have gone with "a Big Mac and a Bud", so as not to lose anyone.

Once we finally meet down here, your Blackberry Birthday Cake and Lucky Charms are on me. I'll stick to a double scoop of Cowboy Coffee Grinds & Bourbon. With sprinkles, of course.

One day soo... in the near future, my friend!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

TACOLOVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RI1
Hard to think of a more boring vehicle. The few I can think of are also Toyota’s (Corolla, Camry).

Ultimately, do whatever makes you happy. Personally, a RAV4 wouldn’t make me happy; it would make me wonder if life was even worth living.
Haha don't be so dramatic...JK. And just curious, which car is making yo
Commodore,

I have to admit, I was thinking something very similar, but didn't know how to say it. You said it very well. Thank you!

I can't count the number of times in my life that I've been to Baskin Robbins. Out of 31 available flavors, one of the few I've NEVER, EVER tried is Vanilla. While Vanilla goes well with most everything, it does nothing to stir my imagination. It's as bland as, well, Vanilla.

The Rav4, in any iteration, strikes me in much the same way; Rock solid, reliable, good resale value, prevents radical dreams, and is very popular. That fourth attribute is a deal-killer for me.

The Rav4 seems far less addictive than Valium, but it has (at least for me) very similar physical and emotional effects. To me, the Toyota has zero addictive value. Again, hard to go wrong with it, but nothing about it inspires me. I want a vehicle to move me, whether it's moving me, or sitting in my garage.

I have friends and family with Hybrid Rav4's, if not the PHEV model. Are they happy with them? Yes, they are. Do they love them? "Why would you ask me that?" they would likely ask of me. Have I ever seen a Perma-Grin on the face of any one of them? Nope. Not once. At least, never related to that car.

If your inner Mr. Spock tells you buying the Rav4 PHEV is "A most logical solution", then buy it. If any part of your inner child asks "Why would we put down a deposit and back out now?", I'd think you'd want to think really, really hard about that before pulling the plug on your dream.

If given a choice between a cup of Vanilla or a double scoop of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough on a waffle cone, I'm going with the latter every time. If a chip shortage is also plaguing that industry, then I'm going with this month's favorite, "Hidden Treasure", on that same waffle cone. I'd rather go hungry and save the money, than settle for Vanilla.

Check out the following and see if your salivary glands do something, anything, when you see Vanilla....

https://order.baskinrobbins.com/menu/flavors
That’s why I said do both. Get a RAV4 and keep the Rivian order. Great resale value means you can get out of it easily.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Yeah, even people not living in the PNW know that Tillamook is the bomb when it comes to ice cream!

Rivian R1T R1S Talk me off the ledge: Considering Toyota RAV4 Prime 5E572F6A-C617-42D4-899D-64F284C2033A

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
One day soo... in the near future, my friend!
I think the time line reference you are looking for is "right around the corner"...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, even people not living in the PNW know that Tillamook is the bomb when it comes to ice cream!

5E572F6A-C617-42D4-899D-64F284C2033A.jpeg
Seems like we're going to need to have an ice cream social as a meetup ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

We test drove Rav4 last year and the back was pretty cramped and seats were some of the worst I experienced. Also not a huge fan of their recent lobbying efforts to slow EV adoption.

I have a friend who ordered a 4Runner 2 months ago and is still waiting
For me, any car with uncomfortable seats or bad ergonomics is unacceptable. It's much like having a beautiful pair of shoes. If they look great but don't fit, and they cause blisters, I'm not gonna wear them. I'll be mad at myself for ever having bought them.

I've watched people spend hours testing out recliners. "Hmm?...Odd Duck!" you're thinking. Well, it was because I was doing the same thing, trying to find one that "fit" my body. Why buy one that doesn't?

Now we're talking about our own personal Earth-Roving Adventure Maker, costing ~100x more. Why get a vehicle that doesn't make your tush, and everything else, as comfortable as that Barcalounger? If that recliner has to sustain your comfort over hill and over dale, you should've spent more time securing your Mobile Home to the ground ahead of that storm. The seats in any Rivian will be called upon to do so much more than any Lazy-Boy.

As I've said elsewhere in the last few weeks, I found these seats to be very comfortable, with enough adjustability to accommodate a wide variety of heights and body styles. They're not overly narrow or snug like those in some sports cars. You do have to step up to get in, as this is a truck, but I'll take that any day over having to be a contortionist to climb in and out of many lower vehicles with winged-back seats designed for me at my ideal BMI.

We know the Show & Tell & Drive events are coming. I would strongly suggest that before anyone puts a Rivian through its paces, make certain you get the seat and seating position exactly where you want it. The same is true of the steering column. Make sure you have it tilted and telescoped to exactly where it feels right for you. And then get the mirrors to where they're perfect. All controls should be right where you want and need them to be. When you look in the side and rearview mirrors, you shouldn't have to lean or move much to see what's in them.

I spent the time before my test drive and got the R1T to where it fit me perfectly. I was completely comfortable in that cockpit while tossing that thing around the test facility, at great speed, altitude, variable inclinations, and through the rough stuff. Take the time to get properly fitted before hitting that Exhilarator pedal. You'll enjoy every Adventure more!

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Seems like we're going to need to have an ice cream social as a meetup ?
I fully endorse an ice cream meet up! As someone who doesn't drink, I think its a much better idea than the usual brewery/bar spots. I'll join you from across the country.

As for the RAV4, its certainly no match for a Rivian (or at least our perception of them at this point), but if you're like me and moving waaay up the ladder to get a Riv, I think a RAV would be a good step. Though at 60k+, I'd likely be looking for even more budget friendly options as a placeholder. And definitely don't withdraw your preorder!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think the time line reference you are looking for is "right around the corner"...
Perfect! We have a winner!!! ?

That's way better than dropping s-bombs to get someone to chill out.

As little kids, constantly asking "How far is it?!" from the back seat on long trips, my Mom's standard response was "It's just down the road a piece". Your addition would've been great for the last three hours of those marathons as we were nearing the end.
Sponsored

Last edited: