Talk me off the ledge: Considering Toyota RAV4 Prime

EricT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma 1999
Lots of good opinions with smart people here, and not a few Toyota/Prime/other EV owners.

So, help talk me off the ledge of withdrawing my RTI pre-order, and going for a Toyota RAV4 Prime.
1) Less cost
2) The PHEV aspect, where I DO have a ICE "if I needed it". 99% of the time I wouldn't, but there's still the accessibility of "During Adventure" charging.
3) Of course Toyota's tech is already a proven/known factor, whereas Rivian is a start up.
4) All the questions posted elsewhere about resale/leasing/financing/"first adopter" (which I'm typically not).

So, Talk me down, ye Disciples of the Great R.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Can you actually get one at MSRP?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can you actually get one at MSRP?
Prices have been creeping up on these things at such a steady pace I wish it were an index fund I'd purchased. Pretty soon its going to have price parity with Rivian.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Considering the cost right now, I think you get a lot more bang for the buck with Rivian. In the long run, I imagine you would be disappointed. Also hearing of delays from Toyota with the problem getting worse rather than better. For me, looking at the mark up from other manufacturers, Rivian is looking more like a steal. Just my $0.02

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Lots of good opinions with smart people here, and not a few Toyota/Prime/other EV owners.

So, help talk me off the ledge of withdrawing my RTI pre-order, and going for a Toyota RAV4 Prime.
1) Less cost
2) The PHEV aspect, where I DO have a ICE "if I needed it". 99% of the time I wouldn't, but there's still the accessibility of "During Adventure" charging.
3) Of course Toyota's tech is already a proven/known factor, whereas Rivian is a start up.
4) All the questions posted elsewhere about resale/leasing/financing/"first adopter" (which I'm typically not).

So, Talk me down, ye Disciples of the Great R.
1. Less cost if you don't get markups. Paying 60K for a Toyota that's sounds like a kia soul may not be worth it.
2. That's the reason Jeep's and rivians are installing the charging points so u don't have to worry about getting a charge in your adventure.
3. Hybrids are proven, but they are also way more complex than just evs. One thing that gives me a piece of mind is that Rivian is putting their preproduction trucks on events like the long way up or rebelle rally and the people who drove them ended up pre-ordering the truck. Yes its new, but it sure seems like they trust their tech and the people who tested them do too.
4. I'm def not a first adopter either, but when I get mine, I'm not expecting to sell it until it dies. Hopefully it'll last a looong time :)

Sponsored

TACOLOVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RI1
1. Less cost if you don't get markups. Paying 60K for a Toyota that's sounds like a kia soul may not be worth it.
2. That's the reason Jeep's and rivians are installing the charging points so u don't have to worry about getting a charge in your adventure.
3. Hybrids are proven, but they are also way more complex than just evs. One thing that gives me a piece of mind is that Rivian is putting their preproduction trucks on events like the long way up or rebelle rally and the people who drove them ended up pre-ordering the truck. Yes its new, but it sure seems like they trust their tech and the people who tested them do too.
4. I'm def not a first adopter either, but when I get mine, I'm not expecting to sell it until it dies. Hopefully it'll last a looong time :)
I think you should go test drive the RAV4 Prime first. It is a great car tbh and it is not $60k. More like $45K.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hard to think of a more boring vehicle. The few I can think of are also Toyota’s (Corolla, Camry).

Ultimately, do whatever makes you happy. Personally, a RAV4 wouldn’t make me happy; it would make me wonder if life was even worth living.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I think you should go test drive the RAV4 Prime first. It is a great car tbh and it is not $60k. More like $45K.
I've driven it. My buddy went to Korea and I took him to the airport, so I had his car for a month . It was actually my first option as well, so he told me I could drive it [he also wanted to make sure the battery didn't die ?]. I really like the new redesign of the rav4 compared to the 2017 version, but I wish it had the grill of the trd version. I didn't like the seats, and when I when the engine kicked during high rpms, it was super noisy. Infotainment is meh, but nothing AA didn't fix.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Considering the cost right now, I think you get a lot more bang for the buck with Rivian. In the long run, I imagine you would be disappointed. Also hearing of delays from Toyota with the problem getting worse rather than better. For me, looking at the mark up from other manufacturers, Rivian is looking more like a steal. Just my $0.02
Def lots of delays.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So we did the same math. What others have mentioned already played into my math, as well as literally being unable to get one at MSRP. My wife and I personally aren't fond of the interior or UI. It's also an entirely different size vehicle. The RAV4 is more of the size of an ID.4. so do you care about the size or off-road performance? Towing? Interior?

The RAV4 is very good, just depends if it's what you'll be happy with long term and if you can even get one.

Sponsored

TACOLOVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RI1
I actually just got a RAV4 Prime at MSRP, while waiting for the RIS (not sure when it will be delivered). It's a lease and my plan is to sell the RAV4 when R1S is ready. But I might actually keep it since I like it a lot. Most dealerships are selling RAV4 Prime at 3k-8k over MSRP (but you still get 7,500 fed tax credit if you are buying) and there is a reason for that. It is very popular, but Toyota doesn't make a lot of them.

Used car market is so crazy at the moment. I got tired of waiting for Rivian and jumped on the Jeep Wrangler 4XE Bandwagon months ago. I just sold the 4XE to a local Carmax and made $4K. Also Toyota just announced they are cutting production in Japan by 40% due to supply chain issues (RAV4 Prime is made in Japan). This car will have amazing resale value within the next 12 months. I don't think you have to cancel your Rivian order. If you need a car before your Rivian arrives, RAV4 prime is a great option. Just flip it when your Rivian is ready. Although, you might need to spend a bit of time finding a dealership that's willing to sell it at MSRP.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I've driven it. My buddy went to Korea and I took him to the airport, so I had his car for a month . It was actually my first option as well, so he told me I could drive it [he also wanted to make sure the battery didn't die ?]. I really like the new redesign of the rav4 compared to the 2017 version, but I wish it had the grill of the trd version. I didn't like the seats, and when I when the engine kicked during high rpms, it was super noisy. Infotainment is meh, but nothing AA didn't fix.
We test drove Rav4 last year and the back was pretty cramped and seats were some of the worst I experienced. Also not a huge fan of their recent lobbying efforts to slow EV adoption.

I have a friend who ordered a 4Runner 2 months ago and is still waiting

TACOLOVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RI1
We test drove Rav4 last year and the back was pretty cramped and seats were some of the worst I experienced. Also not a huge fan of their recent lobbying efforts to slow EV adoption.

I have a friend who ordered a 4Runner 2 months ago and is still waiting
Are you driving a full size SUV or pickup currently? If so, the back of RAV4 is definitely not as comfortable. And which trim of RAV4 did you test drive? I think seats on Prime are better than those on regular RAV4's (or maybe I am just biased). But I mean, overall its a pretty decent plug in hybrid SUV with 40 miles of EV only range, crazy high MPG, and priced at around $42k only.

If he ordered a TRD Pro, its prob going to take a while. All TRD Pros of Taco, Tundra, and 4Runner are now selling at 10k over MSRP, and they are still sold within a couple days after they hit the lot. What a crazy market for Toyota currently.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Nice car. Can’t speak to your specific needs, but Rivian (the company) is special. Don’t step out of line unless you have to.

OP
OP
EricT

EricT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma 1999
I don't need to test drive the RAV4; I'm sold on its value. Depending upon the dealer markup and add-ons, the top trim model can reach ~$60K. My (lower trim, minimal add-ons) choice would be more in the $45K range.

I don't really agree that the RAV4 would be sim to a Kia Soul.
Sponsored