Taking your R1T through an auto car wash

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
With complete respect to you and the environment, I don’t even know how to reply to this. I never in a million years thought washing my car at home (using a sprayer that is only on when rinsing and using, well soap) was bad for the environment. I could switch to biodegradable soap.
Most of the water evaporates and would never make it to the water table...unless you are washing your car by a stream or a lake, I'm not sure how harming the environment would be possible here.
Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
With complete respect to you and the environment, I don’t even know how to reply to this. I never in a million years thought washing my car at home (using a sprayer that is only on when rinsing and using, well soap) was bad for the environment. I could switch to biodegradable soap.
I used to do it all the time until the kids came home from school and told me I needed to stop. I looked it up, it is a real concern in the Seattle area. Our road drains are not treated.

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
I used to do it all the time until the kids came home from school and told me I needed to stop. I looked it up, it is a real concern in the Seattle area. Our road drains are not treated.
Understandable. Again, being respectful that we are a bunch of small ecosystems contributing to the collective.

Here in Portland, Oregon, from what I understand, we are at the forefront nationally for wastewater treatment systems. Not that I take that for granted and dump whatever I want down the drains. But for example, with our treatment systems, we pay in Portland Metro just shy of $12/CCF to treat sewage. That along with the water cost translates to an average cost of $700/quarter for a combined water/sewage bill for an average household of 4 on a 1/3 acre landscaped lot. Yes, a quarter! The typical rate elsewhere I believe is between $3-$5/CCF for sewage.

But that’s another thread. My takeaway from here is to look for biodegradable soap that is also kind to car finishes so I can wash at home with a clean conscience. ?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I take my truck with tonneau through automatic washes all the time, my favorite one has high pressure sprayers & isn't touchless. Sometimes a small amount of water finds its way into the bed, but nothing at all to be concerned about.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I take my Model S 3-4 times a week through our local monthly membership car wash. Even one of the managers has a Model X and goes through daily. As long as the facility is keeping up with maintenance and the water isn't too high pressure especially with Tesla's frameless windows, I have had zero problems.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

If you are in a part of the country that has real winters with lots of snow/ice, then it is likely that salt is used on the road. I can definitely understand the desire to wash that salt off of your vehicle often. Also, that it isn't practical to do so at home in freezing temperatures.

I wash my car at home because I''m cheap and the only drive thru car wash locally isn't "touchless"
Here in Portland, Oregon, from what I understand, we are at the forefront nationally for wastewater treatment prices.
FIFY. My dad lives in PDX too. His water bill is really high, especially since he's a single old guy who doesn't water his lawn or do much laundry.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I do just the high pressure brushless(Not cloth) washes (No brushes what so ever) as the other ones tend to cause swirl marks and scratches on paints be cause the same brush that is touching your wheel with metallic flakes and brake dust is the same one that is touching your body.

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
Most of the water evaporates and would never make it to the water table...unless you are washing your car by a stream or a lake, I'm not sure how harming the environment would be possible here.
I am washing in sight of the bay. Unfortunately, I most likely drink that reclaimed water I wash with.

We‘ve made national news with the pollution discharge in Tampa Bay this week. I’m buying environmentally friendly products (isn’t that a big reason we’re on this forum) from now on. Wether the water evaporates or not doesn‘t take the harmful out of the product. It just redistributes the destination.

Last edited:

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Understandable. Again, being respectful that we are a bunch of small ecosystems contributing to the collective.

Here in Portland, Oregon, from what I understand, we are at the forefront nationally for wastewater treatment systems. Not that I take that for granted and dump whatever I want down the drains. But for example, with our treatment systems, we pay in Portland Metro just shy of $12/CCF to treat sewage. That along with the water cost translates to an average cost of $700/quarter for a combined water/sewage bill for an average household of 4 on a 1/3 acre landscaped lot. Yes, a quarter! The typical rate elsewhere I believe is between $3-$5/CCF for sewage.

But that’s another thread. My takeaway from here is to look for biodegradable soap that is also kind to car finishes so I can wash at home with a clean conscience. ?
Wastewater is typically a different system than storm drains. In Portland, it looks like a significant amount still flows untreated into rivers and streams. Even if it doesn't reach the storm drain when you wash your car, the next rain will wash it out to the storm drain.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/index.cfm?a=319667

Wait til you hear how chemicals from modern tires kill Salmon whenever it rains. It actually impacts up and down the West Coast.

Most automatic car washes use typically between 9-12 gallons of water on a car wash, and between 80-90% is recycled and filtered before being reused. Typically it's filtered to a drinkable state. The release of chemicals to the environment is typically regulated quite stringently too.

Last edited:

1shadowsabre

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
These products work fantastic. There are many brands on the market. It is a little different process than a normal wash but try one if you like doing your car yourself like me..

Sponsored

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
These products work fantastic. There are many brands on the market. It is a little different process than a normal wash but try one if you like doing your car yourself like me..
What magic is this?!?

Now to spend countless hours on YT researching. Thank you!

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Wastewater is typically a different system than storm drains. In Portland, it looks like a significant amount still flows untreated into rivers and streams. Even if it doesn't reach the storm drain when you wash your car, the next rain will wash it out to the storm drain.
In Portland many millions of $ were spent to assure that storm water was separated from wastewater (sewer) water. Up until they were separated, much of stormwater was directed to the sewer system. The problem with that was when it rained a lot, hardly a rare occurrence in Portland, the sewer would overflow into the Willamette river. No one wants untreated sewer effluent in the large river that flows thru the middle of their city.

So, yes you are correct. The majority volume of storm water does flow untreated into rivers and streams. I'd say that would be the case for just about all of Oregon too, although I have seen more stormwater bioswales being installed when major road work occurs.
Sponsored