Taking your R1T through an auto car wash

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
I belong to one of those car wash clubs where you pay a monthly fee and you can get your vehicle washed unlimited times. I was going through the car wash last weekend and realized that the water sprayers at the wash are extremely high pressure and has me concerned when I begin to take my future R1T LE.

If I go through the wash with the auto tonneau cover in the closed position, I am positive that water will get into the storage area (at the front end of the bed where the cover rolls up) and start to accumulate. Will there be any drainage in that area? If not, I see three potential issues:
1) any metal parts will rust in there
2) the tonneau motor if in there can short out
3) in the NE Ohio winter, the trapped water can freeze, expand then blow apart that entire section.

If I go through the wash with the tonneau cover in the open position, will the water jets being as powerful as they are get into the electrical outlets or air compressor and cause damage?
Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

No way to tell until you actually tried this, but I would have to believe that all pertinent areas that would sustain damage from water would be completely sealed. With that being said, there are always going to be areas that are more prone to collecting water- these would have proper drainage.
My personal opinion is to never use an automatic car wash for any type of car.

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
My personal opinion is to never use an automatic car wash for any type of car.
I feel like an alien sometimes when Iā€™m out washing my car; people just donā€™t seem to do it themselves much anymore. But I get joy from hand washing my new cars, like Iā€™m promising to take care of them.
Then my kids and the youth sports carpool get in the car ?

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I feel like an alien sometimes when Iā€™m out washing my car; people just donā€™t seem to do it themselves much anymore. But I get joy from hand washing my new cars, like Iā€™m promising to take care of them.
Then my kids and the youth sports carpool get in the car ?
I'm in the same boat! Even in the dead of winter, I'd much rather hand wash my vehicle than risk damage from an automatic wash. Granted, not everyone wants to or has the ability to do this, but it's my preferred method.
On a side note- ever since I got a ceramic coating on my X, washing is almost too easy! Dirt, bugs, etc. literally slide right off the coating with a simple spray of water.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have a hard time thinking that Rivian wouldn't have accounted for a car wash.

Don't waste time on things that aren't problems.

Sponsored

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
One overlooked benefit of auto car washes is that they recycle the water.
If you are buying an EV to be green, you should consider it.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

With my Model X I've always avoided pull-through car washes, even though I've seen other people go through them without issue. I only use the touch-free wash and then towel dry to make the results somewhat decent. It is my intent with the R1S to go back to using conventional car washes, so it's good to see they are taking those into account.

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
I belong to one of those car wash clubs where you pay a monthly fee and you can get your vehicle washed unlimited times. I was going through the car wash last weekend and realized that the water sprayers at the wash are extremely high pressure and has me concerned when I begin to take my future R1T LE.

If I go through the wash with the auto tonneau cover in the closed position, I am positive that water will get into the storage area (at the front end of the bed where the cover rolls up) and start to accumulate. Will there be any drainage in that area? If not, I see three potential issues:
1) any metal parts will rust in there
2) the tonneau motor if in there can short out
3) in the NE Ohio winter, the trapped water can freeze, expand then blow apart that entire section.

If I go through the wash with the tonneau cover in the open position, will the water jets being as powerful as they are get into the electrical outlets or air compressor and cause damage?
Where in Ohio?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
One overlooked benefit of auto car washes is that they recycle the water.
If you are buying an EV to be green, you should consider it.
Agreed. I always used to hand wash... why pay for something I could do for essentially free at home? But then we had a prolonged period of drought and the local restrictions on water use forbid hand car washes at home (among other things). That's when I really started to pay attention to the fact that many car washes actually recycle a large portion of the water that they use. At the time I started using automatic car washes because I had no other option but at this point I have abandoned hand washing altogether - in part to conserve water and in part because I now prefer to spend that time doing other things.

OP
OP

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
Where in Ohio?
I live in Hudson. There are so many EV owners in town (Tesla, i3, eTron, Bolt, Volt, etc) so I canā€™t wait to join my EV neighbors with my R1T in a few months...hopefully.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to be the nag... be careful when you hand wash at home that the soap drains into your yard. Soap and detergent is bad for the fish in the streams and lakes. Paying the few extra dollars to hand wash at the self service station is much better for the environment.

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
Sorry to be the nag... be careful when you hand wash at home that the soap drains into your yard. Soap and detergent is bad for the fish in the streams and lakes. Paying the few extra dollars to hand wash at the self service station is much better for the environment.
With complete respect to you and the environment, I donā€™t even know how to reply to this. I never in a million years thought washing my car at home (using a sprayer that is only on when rinsing and using, well soap) was bad for the environment. I could switch to biodegradable soap.
Sponsored