Sponsored

Taillights blinking randomly while truck is locked and off

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
"It's acknowledging" or "it's a bug when the truck comes out of sleep and provides power to the taillight control module"?

As an electrical engineer, I strongly suspect the latter. Some EE made a power sequencing error or similar. It's a common rookie mistake. Most likely, an LED driver gets partially powered up shortly before the actual microcontroller that's responsible for controlling the LED driver is powered on enough to initialize its GPIOs (output signals between chips on a circuit board). There's probably some software that takes a non-zero amount of time to properly initialize, and the hardware design doesn't properly hold the LEDs off in the meantime.

It's a bug. And they probably didn't notice before they released the design, because they never tested sleep mode. Back in 2022, they didn't even shut off the power steering when the truck was turned off. I bet they weren't powering off the tail light control module during initial hardware validation either. So they probably didn't find this problem till it was too late. And they presumably have more important areas to spend their engineering efforts right now (like R2).
Sponsored

wrightwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar, R1T
Yeah it feels like a bug to me when the lights are flashing on the street and I’m inside the house 100 feet away. I’ve disabled proximity locking for now, because of this and the other annoyances, and it makes me wonder if this isn’t contributing to phantom drain. I like the feature, but it doesn’t feel polished.

ER1T

First Name
Er
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT

Chengo888

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’ve noticed the same after picking up my R1S on 12/31. I have proximity at home off. Any other suggestions?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I’ve noticed the same after picking up my R1S on 12/31. I have proximity at home off. Any other suggestions?
Leave it alone? Ignore it? This is by design.

Sponsored

tobidogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Jaguar XE-S / Misc.
Occupation
Snowboards...
I have a related question, I think...my new R1S does something odd: the driver's side brake light stays on for a long time after I lock and leave the vehicle. I tried to see why, poured over the manual, etc... something tells me this is a bug, but, wanted to ask.

Rivian R1T R1S Taillights blinking randomly while truck is locked and off IMG_5197

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have a related question, I think...my new R1S does something odd: the driver's side brake light stays on for a long time after I lock and leave the vehicle. I tried to see why, poured over the manual, etc... something tells me this is a bug, but, wanted to ask.

IMG_5197.jpeg
Not normal. Put in a ticket.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

IMG_5197.jpeg
"Hello Dave. I'm afraid I can't let you put in a service ticket."
Rivian R1T R1S Taillights blinking randomly while truck is locked and off 1708445441327
Sponsored