Tailgate solution for transporting mountain bikes

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
A member here suggested what looks to be a great solution for transporting mountain bikes, but the kicker is it requires the tailgate to be down (the bike mounts to a rack at the front of the bed). I'm curious if anyone has experience driving with the tailgate down? With it's unique hinge and the fact that it hangs out so much further, I'm curious if it bounces around while driving and/or creates any sort of issues?
Sponsored

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I’ve driven with it down quite a few times on Home Depot runs. The most annoying aspect is that the rear view camera used in the display is in the tailgate itself and flipping it down renders it useless. There is another camera overlooking the bed, but you cannot access the video stream from it which would be super useful when the gate is down.

cnr1089

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Software Engineer
I transported a bunch of stuff from Home Depot home that was about 8' long and it was fine with the tailgate down (note, the payload was heavy enough that I was never concerned about it bouncing). The big bummer was that the backward facing camera remained the tailgate camera, which is useless when it is down, it should have been the bed camera (at least).

Edited: It is quite ridiculous that someone posted almost the exact same content at the exact same time....Where do we file bugs with Rivian, this one seems obvious.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’ve driven with it down quite a few times on Home Depot runs. The most annoying aspect is that the rear view camera used in the display is in the tailgate itself and flipping it down renders it useless. There is another camera overlooking the bed, but you cannot access the video stream from it which would be super useful when the gate is down.
Isn't the camera in the bumper above the license plate? The view is obstructed a bit by the tailgate, but it is still somewhat usable.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Isn't the camera in the bumper above the license plate? The view is obstructed a bit by the tailgate, but it is still somewhat usable.
I thought it was in the tailgate, but either way I’ve found it to be useless for any practical purposes when the gate is down

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's blocked enough that it's not as useful. You can only see the ground like 3 feet from the truck at best.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Hauled my motorcycle (about 500#) in the back, with the tailgate down about 1,200mi. No problem, other than when I hit two hard bumps I did hear a thud from the gate. It probably moved just a little , but the weight of the rear wheel set it right back down. Camera is really not usable in this fashion.
Sponsored