Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I now have 20,000 miles on my R1T and the tailgate release/opening has never worked perfectly and usually required an incline for it to fully open on it's own after initiating a release. SC adjusted it twice and it would open on it's own on a slight incline and 75% of the time on flat ground, stating it pretty much is-what-it-is........I mentioned this to the only authorized Rivian Body Shop in AZ and they resolved it. It works so well now that even with the nose of the truck pointing downhill, the tailgate will fully open.

There is obviously a technique to this adjustment and I have about 1000 miles on it and it still works perfectly. Truck went in to SC this morning and they commented on how well the tailgate operated even on a 2% decline......;).
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I now have 20,000 miles on my R1T and the tailgate release/opening has never worked perfectly and usually required an incline for it to fully open on it's own after initiating a release. SC adjusted it twice and it would open on it's own on a slight incline and 75% of the time on flat ground, stating it pretty much is-what-it-is........I mentioned this to the only authorized Rivian Body Shop in AZ and they resolved it. It works so well now that even with the nose of the truck pointing downhill, the tailgate will fully open.

There is obviously a technique to this adjustment and I have about 1000 miles on it and it still works perfectly. Truck went in to SC this morning and they commented on how well the tailgate operated even on a 2% decline......;).
Any idea of what the body shop did?

Reactions: 337
OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Any idea of what the body shop did?
They stated it's a factory reinstall as per manual, but alignment of the latch is the most critical. The first thing they look at when a tailgate is in the down position, is confirmation that the tension on the support lanyards (term they used) is equal. If it's not, the tailgate install alignment is off. Secondly, some latch mechanisms release poorly from the factory, which can require something as simply as degrease and regrease or light filing.......YMMV
Sponsored