Sponsored

Switch from R1S to R1T

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Im sure this has been brought up before and maybe this is a useless question but I can't seem to find recent posts.. What are your thoughts on switching from an R1S order to R1T and delivery timing? I have a Oct-Dec '23 window for my R1S. This is what Rivian told me via chat about what would happen to timing if I switch:

" If you were to change to an R1T, your window would then change to processing and an update for your window would come in January next year".

They also mentioned the window could get longer. Whats your thoughts on that ? Could I assume that it would be earlier than my current window? I guess there isn't really a way to know.
Sponsored

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
Dual or quad motors? Large or max pack?

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
I can’t help you guess, but anyone wanting to would need that info. Keep in mind there’s a term “Rivian Lottery” for a reason 😉

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

id be willing to bet my reservation that switching to an R1T will get you a Rivian delivered sooner. i was originally an R1S, switched to an R1T and within about 6 weeks i had a Guide and Shop access. i could have had a truck by now but i switched back to an R1S.

another data point. i was talking with my Guide just today and asking about colors and LG on the R1S and how i wished i had ordered early enough to get access to that. she said she had several R1Ts in LG and that if i wanted to pull the trigger i could switch now and get one of those. of course id have to take the config as is but just goes to show they have a lot of supply of R1Ts but very few of the R1Ss. in 9-12 months, probably not the case.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I think you're asking the wrong question. Instead, ask: Which vehicle do you want? If it's the R1T, then does the delivery matter? If it's the R1S, you'll get it quicker with current window anyway. If it's either, just one quickly, stay with the S. Sounds like you've decided you might want the truck but don't want to incur the wait...in which case, the real question is, how bad do you want the truck? Not sure this helps but might change your perspective a bit...

OP
OP
RIV206

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

I think you're asking the wrong question. Instead, ask: Which vehicle do you want? I
I don't really mind waiting on my current timeframe for the R1S I just dont want to push that out any more by switching vehicles.

We've always had SUV's but lately we have had the need for a truck often.. Plus we've used our 3rd row maybe twice a year since I owned my current car. I just booked R1T a rental via Turo to see how the family likes it.

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
I don't really mind waiting on my current timeframe for the R1S I just dont want to push that out any more by switching vehicles.

We've always had SUV's but lately we have had the need for a truck often.. Plus we've used our 3rd row maybe twice a year since I owned my current car. I just booked R1T a rental via Turo to see how the family likes it.
I highly doubt switching to the R1T will push you back, but I guess the point remains that you shouldn't switch just because you want it quicker. I switched after the update windows partly because of the "Pending Estimate" I inexplicably received. I was waiting patiently for the estimate thinking I would switch if unless I had something still firmly in H1 2023. I have been leaning towards the truck before that happened however, and it seems like you are too so I say go for it

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military

Copy all...my intent wasn't to poke you in the eye but rather to approach your question from a different direction. It sounds like you think the truck would get a wider range of use than the SUV, so...

Bottomline: My experience is don't decide based on short term reward (i.e. Rivian's "delivery" schedule). Instead, pick the vehicle that will fit your and your family's needs the best and let delivery timing work itself out. Just my $.02

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Ordered R1S in Nov 2021. I switched to R1T in early August 2022, got invite to first drive a month later. First drive done late September. 8 steps process started mid October and now waiting for truck to ship from Normal. Hoping to receive by end of this month.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Who knows, but my guess is switching would get you a truck sooner. Hell, with the Rivian lottery you could switch and get an 8 step email the next day! 🤷‍♂️

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If you want the truck, switch. The delivery window will probably been sooner anyway.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I never had a truck in my life, and I recently needed more use of trucks. So for same reason, I bought R1T...

R1T has a spacious rear seats. It's more than accommodating. I don't think you will have problem to use as SUV + little bit of utility.
Sponsored