Sponsored

Swirl marks on launch green and Limestone?

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Note: My questions is about flat paints...do they show more imperfections? Not a discussion on swirl marks from the factory.

Hey guys, I was just looking at some Rivians at the service center and noticed some swirl type marks on one of the new Limestone trucks. As I spend a little time looking at the paint, depending on the lighting, it looks that that more flat look will show swirl marks a LOT easier. Thoughts on any real life experience?

I have mine configured in Limestone, but I'm second guessing that if you'll see every little imperfection?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It's amazing how many new cars have swirl marks. This is why I'm going to have my R1S paint corrected, Xpel applied, and ceramic coated on top.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Yup. It's factory paint. The best of em have swirl marks. Paint correction by a great shop is the solution...

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I've never paid close attention to factory paint. The only time I noticed poor paint quality without really paying attention was on my Model X. It had really obvious flaws in quite a few locations. After washing our LG R1T I haven't noticed any obvious issues. The Xpel dealer that installed the clear bra on the front half actually said the paint looked really good from the factory. But my guess is just like Tesla, it could vary a lot from vehicle to vehicle.

It's a truck, not a show car. I'll be adding my own "swirl marks" here shortly.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I love the color of my Limestone. When you straight on at the truck ,the paint looks great. When you look at angle and see reflections in the paint, you see the mass amount of orange peel effect in my paint. I noticed it as it was 1st being unloaded. The FG loaner had the same effect. According to my service ticket, it meets Rivian standards.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I love the color of my Limestone. When you straight on at the truck ,the paint looks great. When you look at angle and see reflections in the paint, you see the mass amount of orange peel effect in my paint. I noticed it as it was 1st being unloaded. The FG loaner had the same effect. According to my service ticket, it meets Rivian standards.
Ahhh...so sounds like Silver is a safer bet for NOT showing imperfections?

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
The silvers had issues with tiger striping on the hood - mine as well. I see it a lot now that I know what to look for. The later VINs seem to be a lot better, however.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Yeah, I was going to say they had tiger striping in the silver. I would try to see the colors you are interested in person. Pictures don't tell the full story. White might be the safer bet because of no metallic flake?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Swirl marks on launch green and Limestone? 1662655271539

I kid....my early LA Silver vin 1500 or so....was terrible...Rivian let me trade it in....but from recent images it seems to look pretty good.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I've seen a 10XXX silver that does not show any tiger striping - perfect in all other respects (panel gaps, etc.) as well.

Unfortunately, at this point there are still reports of customers getting much earlier VIN numbers. There is no way to know whether those lower VINs correlate to earlier paint jobs with potential tiger stripes.

Or perhaps all those leaving Normal are now being inspected and corrected before leaving (if needed).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
1662655271539.png

I kid....my early LA Silver vin 1500 or so....was terrible...Rivian let me trade it in....but from recent images it seems to look pretty good.
WOW! OK, maybe stick with my Limestone? Haha. I have a white Tesla now and it doesn't show anything, but the white R1T's look like work trucks. :(

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I've seen a 10XXX silver that does not show any tiger striping - perfect in all other respects (panel gaps, etc.) as well.

Unfortunately, at this point there are still reports of customers getting much earlier VIN numbers. There is no way to know whether those lower VINs correlate to earlier paint jobs with potential tiger stripes.

Or perhaps all those leaving Normal are now being inspected and corrected before leaving (if needed).
That would sure save them a lot of time and money if they were inspected before they left....

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
WOW! OK, maybe stick with my Limestone? Haha. I have a white Tesla now and it doesn't show anything, but the white R1T's look like work trucks. :(
For me, once I saw the striping I couldn't unsee it. Some people didn't even notice it. New vins are bound to have improvements. Going with a color with less metallic flake though is a safer bet, IMO.

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
When was your build?

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
For anyone following this, I went back and looked at the Limestone under the sun. It looks like "most" of the swirl/imperfections are covered just like any light-colored vehicle. It's nowhere near a dark gray or black in showing imperfections.
Sponsored